Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Dark beer weighs more than light beer.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Don't stress so much on what it says on the scale. Does your body look better in the mirror? Have you taken before and after measurements?
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat

How do you figure? 1 pound = 1 pound whether it's feathers or bricks!

If I cut one cubic inch of fat and one cubic inch of muscle and weigh them, the muscle will way more.

Muscle does weigh more than fat, just like a fat person does way more than a short slim person.

Weight is the effect of gravity on an object, the denser the object the greater the effect of gravity.

Taking the same weight of two things does not mean they are equal. Losing a pound of fat is a much more noticeable difference than a pound of muscle because so much more of it needs to come off to equal a pound.

The previous poster spoke about weight, which means a pound is always a pound. You are mentioning volume, which is not the same as weight and therefore cannot be compared. It's like comparing apples and green beans. Apart from that you get things mixed up in general.....

So by your reasoning one brick weighs the same same as one feather right?

i-cannot-brain-today-i-has-the-dumb-cat.jpg
  • 2fabulous2Bunfit
    2fabulous2Bunfit Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    YES I should incorporate more veggies...I actually like them, I'm just impatient to steam them, and I hate microwave versions. But I need to do more of that :)

Check out the plastic baggie section in your grocery store- I found these and they are awesome! Just add the veggies and some spices and microwave!

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/ZipSteamMicrowaveCookingBags.aspx

Also try roasting- even better!!!!

http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/cooking-basics/how-to-roast-vegetables/
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Dark beer weighs more than light beer.
    Finally! Someone gets it.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat

oh no
  • Amazonbella
    Amazonbella Posts: 338
    Options
    Thank you!!!! THIS is what I was curious about. I am on CELEXA (for anxiety) and Birth control...I have been wondering if either of these things could be causing me an issue.

As I ALREADY own a digital scale in which I weigh food. I know those are the things that people think I am doing wrong, not weighing, mis-calculating, giving myself too many credits back during my workout, I really am doing what I need to, hence the frustration. I have gone to my doctor who tells me I work out more than anyone he has ever seen to not reep the rewards (I even used to play volleyball with him, so he knows I'm not a sedentary person) I have lost 75 pounds three years ago, so I am not doing anything different now, than when I was able to lose 75 pounds in 6 months at that time. I will be 40 this year, I don't know, does that play a part of slower weight loss? I'm also taking Vitamin D now because I know I have low D.

Oh and as far as "cooking oils" and "alcohol" I don't understand what is meant by that, I do not add oil, butter, or other fats into anything I cook if that is what was asked. I do know that salt can be an issue, as well as added sugar, I am working on that as well.

I'm 5'9", 58 years old and 25 lbs too fat, mostly in my belly. Like you I was walking for miles and going to the gym constantly on top of tracking my food and after 6 weeks I hadn't lost anything. So I totally understand. Here's what I've heard. Losing weight happens in the kitchen and strength and muscle tone in the gym. This week I've lost 3 or 4 lbs. What did I do differently? I got off an anti-depressant. Could any medications you're taking cause weight gain? I just started last night walking around the block before meals, so no more gym... for now. For me, I find really working out hard is detrimental to my fat loss. I know, it makes no sense, and goes against EVERYTHING you're taught, but that's what works for me. Once I lose 20 lbs., it's back to the gym.

Good luck!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm on an anti-depressant, anti-anxiety and birth control and I am losing weight.

Have you figured out your BMR & TDEE?

I'm 5'5", I walk 5 miles a day every day, I do the Stronglifts 5x5 program, I eat 1,940 calories a day and try to make sure I get a lot of protein. I'd suggest making sure you are actually eating enough to fuel your workouts. Especially upping the protein.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!! THIS is what I was curious about. I am on CELEXA (for anxiety) and Birth control...I have been wondering if either of these things could be causing me an issue.

As I ALREADY own a digital scale in which I weigh food. I know those are the things that people think I am doing wrong, not weighing, mis-calculating, giving myself too many credits back during my workout, I really am doing what I need to, hence the frustration. I have gone to my doctor who tells me I work out more than anyone he has ever seen to not reep the rewards (I even used to play volleyball with him, so he knows I'm not a sedentary person) I have lost 75 pounds three years ago, so I am not doing anything different now, than when I was able to lose 75 pounds in 6 months at that time. I will be 40 this year, I don't know, does that play a part of slower weight loss? I'm also taking Vitamin D now because I know I have low D.

Oh and as far as "cooking oils" and "alcohol" I don't understand what is meant by that, I do not add oil, butter, or other fats into anything I cook if that is what was asked. I do know that salt can be an issue, as well as added sugar, I am working on that as well.

I'm 5'9", 58 years old and 25 lbs too fat, mostly in my belly. Like you I was walking for miles and going to the gym constantly on top of tracking my food and after 6 weeks I hadn't lost anything. So I totally understand. Here's what I've heard. Losing weight happens in the kitchen and strength and muscle tone in the gym. This week I've lost 3 or 4 lbs. What did I do differently? I got off an anti-depressant. Could any medications you're taking cause weight gain? I just started last night walking around the block before meals, so no more gym... for now. For me, I find really working out hard is detrimental to my fat loss. I know, it makes no sense, and goes against EVERYTHING you're taught, but that's what works for me. Once I lose 20 lbs., it's back to the gym.

Good luck!

Per your own entries:

Carlos O Kelleys - Chips and Salsa, 12 chips - this is not weighing your food

Carlos O'kellys - Queso Dip, 0.5 small bowl - this is not weighing your food

Smuckers - Concord Grape Jam, 1 Tbsp (20g) - this is not weighing your food

Kroger Peanut Butter - Creamy Peanut Butter, 2 tbsp - this is not weighing your food

Pepperidge Farm - Goldfish Baked Snack Crackers Cheddar, 27.5 Pieces

Hollys Trail Mix - Walnuts/dried cranberry/white chocolate, 3/4 cup

Gortons - Skillet Crispy Tilapia , 1 fillet

Cauliflower - Cooked, boiled, drained, with salt, 0.75 cup (1" pieces)

None of that is weighed. I can go on but you get the idea. None of the food you logged has been weighed. Just measured.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Also, not all entries in MFP food database are 100% accurate. I see in your diary an entry for Carlos O'Kelly's Queso dip, it has calories but no fat, no protein, no carbs, nothing else. Maybe that's correct? But I'm thinking that entry may be lacking, which is a problem with some food entries in the database.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You can't out exercise a bad diet. I personally would not lose weight eating chips, queso, sub sandwiches, cookies, etc. I am VERY carb sensitive and have to "time" my carbs around workouts and then don't eat them the rest of the day. You could be the same way.

I would do a month trial on protein and veges and see if that gets things going in the right direction. Also if you are weight training....might as well throw out the scale and measure monthly. Only way you are going to see progress is through measuring and pictures.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    You can't out exercise a bad diet. I personally would not lose weight eating chips, queso, sub sandwiches, cookies, etc. I am VERY carb sensitive and have to "time" my carbs around workouts and then don't eat them the rest of the day. You could be the same way.

I would do a month trial on protein and veges and see if that gets things going in the right direction. Also if you are weight training....might as well throw out the scale and measure monthly. Only way you are going to see progress is through measuring and pictures.

I know, in theory, that all sounds good. But it really comes down to calories in vs. calories out. Whether it's from cheese dip, cheesecake, ice cream, asparagus, eggplant, bananas, steak, french fries, beet juice, apples, etc... . If you are eating your daily calories and not exceeding your daily quota - it doesn't matter where they come from.