Whining -- Why doesn't strength training burn more calories?

Options
rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
I've heard the benefits of strength training and been doing it for a while, and I've also heard that somehow it increases your metabolism. But it burns so few calories, especially for someone my size (5'1.5"). I did 30 minutes today, and it burned 81 calories. Sometimes I do a strength training class that's an hour, and I'm sore for 2 days, but burn only 160 calories, and basically can't lift for a couple of days. Wow, I get to "eat back" a yogurt. Whereas if I do cardio like kickboxing and zumba, it burns a ton, but some posts I've seen say that cardio makes you retain fat and lose muscle.

Replies

• GoPhil04
    GoPhil04 Posts: 93
    Options
    Who says you only burned X amount of calories? This app?

The exercise totals for different movements never match up with what they could be in real life.

Favor weight training when attempting to make body composition changes...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    strength training increases your metabolism in that it preserves lean mass...muscle in particular requires a lot of energy to maintain, so you burn more calories at rest the more muscle mass you have. You also have a greater after burn post lift due to your body has to repair the damage done...that requires energy (calories). Further, strength training is an outstanding investment in your overall body composition, not to mention general health and well being.

Also, cardio doesn't cause you to retain fat and lose muscle...that is nonsense. I cycle around 90 miles per week and my muscle mass is just fine...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've heard the benefits of strength training and been doing it for a while, and I've also heard that somehow it increases your metabolism. by a tiny and pretty insignificant amount unfortunately But it burns so few calories, especially for someone my size (5'1.5"). I did 30 minutes today, and it burned 81 calories. It may well be more but for all practical purposes it's impossible to calculate. Your weight loss results over time may be the best guide TBH. Sometimes I do a strength training class that's an hour, and I'm sore for 2 days, but burn only 160 calories, and basically can't lift for a couple of days. Good for you for putting the effort in!Wow, I get to "eat back" a yogurt. Whereas if I do cardio like kickboxing and zumba, it burns a ton, but some posts I've seen say that cardio makes you retain fat and lose muscle.Myth. You would have to doing a really excessive amount and have a totally insufficient diet for that to be an issue.
    But in the end strength training isn't to burn calories, it's for strength, retention of muscle, to look great when you get to goal and for health.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Whether it's through calories burned during strength training or calories burned during an after burn I believe it burns much more than MFP thinks it does based on experience.

Cardio also burns a lot of calories and does not cause muscle loss. Lack of strength training may cause muscle loss.
  • rosebette
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I'm certainly not going to stop because I have already lost 1% of my body fat, although the scale's not moving as much as I'd like. BTW, I'm just using MFP's estimate for strength training when I input the time in the tracking log, and that's what they give me because I'm small. Next question, if I lose more weight, won't I be burning even less when I train, rather than more, even if I am building more lean muscle mass?
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Next question, if I lose more weight, won't I be burning even less when I train, rather than more, even if I am building more lean muscle mass?

Yes...but if you didn't strength train, you would lose more muscle mass which would result in burning even less at the same smaller weight.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Because strength training isn't about burning calories at that instant. In fact, most people don't even add strength training to their "cardio" exercises on MFP. The general breakdown is:

1. You're keeping your muscle and losing the fat instead of losing both. It's easier for your body to metabolize protein (muscle) than fat, so if you're not using it it'll go away.
    2. Muscle looks prettier than fat. It's firmer and gives your body a good look.
    3. As the fat burns away and the muscle stays, you see more of that pretty muscle that you've worked so hard to keep. It makes you look prettier, even though you may still be overweight. Example: I have surprisingly nice shoulders even though I'm still 90 pounds overweight, because I've been strength training.
    4. As an added bonus, muscle needs more energy to maintain than fat, which bumps up your BMR. It's more of a long-term effect than cardio.

Yes, you will burn less as you get smaller, but that's true of cardio as well. Don't do strength training to burn calories. Do it for the sexiness.
  • GoPhil04
    Options

Cardio also burns a lot of calories and does not cause muscle loss. Lack of strength training may cause muscle loss.

Cardio, especially prolonged sessions, will inevitably result in a loss of muscle mass. You need to have near perfect dietary conditions to prevent that from occurring, or have worked up to a point where thats a common occurrence for you.
  • rosebette
    Options

Cardio, especially prolonged sessions, will inevitably result in a loss of muscle mass. You need to have near perfect dietary conditions to prevent that from occurring, or have worked up to a point where thats a common occurrence for you.
    Curious -- what are "near perfect dietary conditions" for cardio to prevent loss of muscle mass?
  • GoPhil04
    Options
    Curious -- what are "near perfect dietary conditions" for cardio to prevent loss of muscle mass?

Enough protein in your diet. Adequate glycogen levels throughout the duration of the exercise. There could be may factors.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, strength training is for strength. Also for "harder" muscles and lean muscle retention. The benefits of strength training outweigh the lack of calories burned.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Totally disagree - please state your sources.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. And get a heart rate monitor to see how many calories you actually burn
  • rayraex
    rayraex Posts: 50
    Options
    You might want to consider getting a heart rate monitor to more accurately know how many calories you are burning from your strength training sessions. If you log 30 minutes of strength training into MyFitnessPal, it really doesn't know how hard you worked and would tell you the same if you are lifting 5 pound weights vs. 50 pound weights and the same for how many exercises you are actually doing in those 30 minutes. The PolarFT4 heart rate monitor has great reviews.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

This really does not apply to the average Joe/Jane heading out for a run or hopping on the elliptical or doing a zumba class or whatever...
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. And get a heart rate monitor to see how many calories you actually burn

HRMs are wildly inaccurate for strength training.
  • rosebette
    Options
    New question -- how much protein would I need? I read a lot of stuff about certain number of macros being necessary to get a certain type of energy supply and appearance. Maybe this is where I need to to be adjusting since I'm pretty near my goal weight and want to lose body fat. This thread is really educating me.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options

HRMs are wildly inaccurate for strength training.

Do you have proof of this?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    New question -- how much protein would I need? I read a lot of stuff about certain number of macros being necessary to get a certain type of energy supply and appearance. Maybe this is where I need to to be adjusting since I'm pretty near my goal weight and want to lose body fat. This thread is really educating me.

1gram of protien for every pound of LBM. I currently try to hit min of 120g.

and I have to ask what yogurt are you eating at 160 calories??? mine is 50calories a serving...

For a lot of people who lift we use TDEE and that way we don't have to worry about actual burns...
  • GoPhil04
    Options

This really does not apply to the average Joe/Jane heading out for a run or hopping on the elliptical or doing a zumba class or whatever...

I dont see how it could apply to one person but not the next?