30 day shred, will it make me bulky?

Options

Replies

• superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I did the 30DS and lost 6 pounds. In my boobs. I have often wondered if I can sue Jillian Michaels for my boobs back....
  • pkdjsd
    pkdjsd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used 5 lb weights, and it was a tad difficult at first, but now it's no problem. I started with the 30 day shred and now do the ripped in 30, and I just have nice, toned arms. No bulk.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    It's called the 30 day shred... not the 30 day she-hulk.

If you want to get bulky... you are going to have to bust your *kitten* to get that way. A LOT of hard work involved.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    No, it will definitely NOT make you bulky.

If only people could get bulky in 30 days! hahaha
  • Mariela223
    Options
    I did the 30DS and lost 6 pounds. In my boobs. I have often wondered if I can sue Jillian Michaels for my boobs back....
    Lol! I would sue also if I lost my boobs
  • Mariela223
    Options
    You're welcome. With that said, I did enjoy the DVD, and I also used ripped in 30 after that with good results also.

Cool, I'm looking foward to seeing results
  • Mariela223
    Options
    I used 5 lb weights, and it was a tad difficult at first, but now it's no problem. I started with the 30 day shred and now do the ripped in 30, and I just have nice, toned arms. No bulk.

That's what I'm using, 5lbs. It's a little difficult but not too much
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    30DS never made anyone bulky.

"Bulky" is a word people misuse to refer to people with muscular development and an extremely low body fat percentage.

if you don't want to be "bulky," simply stop losing weight when you think you look good.

That's seriously all there is to it.
  • lomajess
    lomajess Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yes you will look like this when you're done:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAO8IlSCUAMCTdxMz0-BgLvardzlvLdUT05tQvAFzpkeAhzwuI

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Men, who are physiologically predisposed to having more muscle mass than women, sweat and cry in the gym for years in order to bulk up. When you think of that, it's actually ludicrous that a woman could bulk up in 30 days, even if she did the video on repeat 24/7 for the full 30 days.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Also bear in mind that fat reduction (or loss) occurs across all portions of your body... the only spot reduction is via lipo... I recommend everyone that plans on loosing a lot of weight... stop in at a supermarket or butcher shop where they sell Offal (organ meat like Heart, kidney, liver etc.) to see how fat looks when it grows on a vital organ... if that don't motivate a person to make changes... yikes!!!
  • fivethreeone
    Options
    OP, one more thing: losing weight vs losing inches is purely a matter of diet.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    The heavier, more progressive weights you use, the more fat you will lose on a calorie deficit. You will shrink, you will not bulk. For example, I was doing HIIT (similar to the light weights lots of cardio stuff you are doing). Then I switched to heavy lifting starting with light 45lb barbells, and I slimmed down everywhere, and do not consider myself bulky.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I bench press 100lbs, squat 125, deadlift 160 etc. Do I look bulky to you? 30DS is almost pure cardio with some conditioning/strength. You may get a bit stronger, particularly doing the pushups, depending on where your fitness level is now, but you will not build extra muscle unless you are eating higher than your maintenance and are gaining weight.

Have fun and good luck on your journey!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    You cannot get bulky off of 5-10 pound weights. Impossible.

I've done it. It's a great stepping stone to general fitness and it will challenge a beginner. Put all three sections together and it's still pretty decent cardio for even a conditioned athlete.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options

"Bulky" is a word people misuse to refer to people with muscular development and an extremely low body fat percentage.

if you don't want to be "bulky," simply stop losing weight when you think you look good.

I agree on the point that 30DS never made anyone bulky.

I disagree about not being able to be bulky. I have a high lean mass for my height (126 pounds at 5'5") and I am losing body fat (planning to go from less than 28% down to around 20%). I don't want a lot more muscle gain obviously, as I will be at 155 lbs at 20%. That's a generally good point you made, but there are exceptions to every rule. Some of us just need to gain strength but no more mass.
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Let me know when you accidentally get "bulky." You're female, yes? We don't get bulky without that being our goal - and it takes a hell of a lot more than 30 days to do it. It's a common misconception that lifting heavy will make women bulky. It won't. Get that right out of your head. 30 day shred is cardio, anyway, is it not?

Wow,, Sarcasm!!
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options

You'll be fine. Don't worry.
  • fivethreeone
    Options

I agree on the point that 30DS never made anyone bulky.

I disagree about not being able to be bulky. I have a high lean mass for my height (126 pounds at 5'5") and I am losing body fat (planning to go from less than 28% down to around 20%). I don't want a lot more muscle gain obviously, as I will be at 155 lbs at 20%. That's a generally good point you made, but there are exceptions to every rule. Some of us just need to gain strength but no more mass.

I'm not sure who you are disagreeing with here, since I never said it wasn't possible to be bulky.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Yes you will look like this when you're done:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAO8IlSCUAMCTdxMz0-BgLvardzlvLdUT05tQvAFzpkeAhzwuI

Dang, where do I sign up!!?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!