Zombies Run/The Walk

Options
Does anyone use either of these apps for their weekly exercises? I work a full-time job, and my friend swears by them. I'm not much of a runner, but plan to purchase the Walk.

ETA: It's currently reduced to £1.99 on the Apple Store, if anyone does want to give something relatively cheap a try.

Replies

• Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love the Zombies Run app! Gives me something to look forward to while running, I really enjoy the storylines. I also feel like I'm saving the world which makes me happy :)
  • maclamia
    maclamia Posts: 4
    Options
    That's the same reason I've just downloaded The Walk! So I can feel like I'm achieving something, and not just wandering around town at night, lol.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    My partner loves Zombies Run. I can't get it on my current phone but may try it when I upgrade :-)
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I use both!
    And if you're not much into running, check out the Zombies, Run! 5K training app... it is just as awesome as the regular game, and you can build your township against zombies both online and within the app.
  • MattyFTM
    MattyFTM Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I bought The Walk quite a while ago, but I have yet to actually try it out. I pretty much forgot about it. I'll have to give it a go the next time I go for a walk.
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have tried out both of them. The Zombies 5k training app is cool. The only problem I have with it is that you can't use other audio with it. I am a huge spotify user and don't have any music in my native iTunes app. Same with Podcasts. If I could use it with Podcasts or Spotify, I would love it.

I too am a walker, I would use the prompts to either walk faster instead of run or walk slower when prompted to walk.

The Walk is a cool concept, but it doesn't really work that well. I find myself walking throughout the day and listening to my own music and then have to catch up on the story.
  • Pixt
    Pixt Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I own em both but mostly use Zombies, Run! even when I'm just walking. I fire it up and take the dog for a walk and we do a brief "jog" if the zombies get too close.

Then again, we have an elliptical next to the treadmill so every now and then (especially during the far-too-long Minnesota winter), I fire up a zombies run episode, hop on the elliptical, start up the treadmill for her and we go for 30ish minutes ... lmao, she's already figured out that when the app tells me the zombies are closing in, I'm going to lean over and speed up the treadmill for a minute and will bark if I don't do it.

I kind of prefer Zombies, Run! because it's all audio. In the Walk! I found having to look at the app and click on stuff to get the story distracting (of course I may have been doing it wrong as I only tried it for one walk).
  • camjam89
    camjam89 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Dan, I use Spotify with the Zombies, Run! 5K app. I've got an iPhone 5 with iOS 7 on it and it'll let Spotify run in the background. I just have to open the Zombies, Run! app after starting Spotify. The music will soften when the audio for Zombies starts.
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    interesting. i have the same setup. i'll have to try it again. thanks!
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Weird. I didn't know this was an app... I thought you were literally talking about the zombie run (Run for your lives! 5k) or the Zombie walk (Portlandia has this event every year downtown... with bloody abulances and "survivors" with nerf guns and "zombies" in full makeup).

My bad.
  • Pixt
    Pixt Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yep "Zombies, Run!" is an iphone/android app that intersperses a zombie apocalypse type story with a playlist of your choosing in roughly 30 minute increments. So you just flip your phone to the next chapter in the story, pop your earbuds in and start your walk/jog/run. It can either integrate with your phone's gps or use "average strides" calculations to keep track of your distances. And, if you use the gps functionality, you can go to the app's website and see your walk/jog/run mapped out (complete with how fast you were going at each point along the way and what was playing at that point). It even includes a "mini-game" where you collect supplies on your missions and use them to apply upgrades to your base camp.