HIIT AT THE GYM??

Options
90to20
90to20 Posts: 196 Member
Hi there,

I want to do some more weight training/HIIT but I don't like using the machines because I feel like everyone at the gym knows exactly what they're doing and since I go alone and I've only used the equipment a couple of times, I don't want to embarrass myself...

Any suggestions of what I can do at the gym without the equipment? Would it be ridiculous to jump rope and do like more HIIT stuff?? Sorry if it seems silly I've just never seen anyone do it there and I've never done it.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Stick to the basics:

Jump lunges
    High knee run in place
    Jumping jacks with speed
    Squat jacks
    Burpees
    Mountain climbers
    Bench hop overs
    Running step ups

There are lots you can do without weights to get a good HIIT workout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 90to20
    Options
    Stick to the basics:

Jump lunges
    High knee run in place
    Jumping jacks with speed
    Squat jacks
    Burpees
    Mountain climbers
    Bench hop overs
    Running step ups

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Ok thanks I will try some of those...I am just worried that I won't do them right and end up looking silly.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Stick to the basics:

Jump lunges
    High knee run in place
    Jumping jacks with speed
    Squat jacks
    Burpees
    Mountain climbers
    Bench hop overs
    Running step ups

IDEA Fitness member

Ok thanks I will try some of those...I am just worried that I won't do them right and end up looking silly.

practice in your room :smile:
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    There was a post in the fitness section that had a list of YouTube videos in it for workouts. I think this is the one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1193777-love-fitnessblender-any-other-similar-sites
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Stick to the basics:

Jump lunges
    High knee run in place
    Jumping jacks with speed
    Squat jacks
    Burpees
    Mountain climbers
    Bench hop overs
    Running step ups

IDEA Fitness member

Lol, I feel the opposite way. I feel like I call so much more attention to myself at the gym doing these exercises as opposed to using the machines. All excellent exercises though.
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    I know what you mean about not wanting to be embarrassed, but I encourage you to learn how to use the equipment. We all had to learn at some point. Don't let your pride get in the way of learning. Maybe you can go at a time when there are fewer people there. Also, don't be afraid to ask staff or someone who is using the equipment to show you how. I wish you much success!

One more thing. If you do something silly, laugh it off! We all do something silly once in a while. I was sitting in the Sam's Club parking lot a couple nights ago to pick up my nephew form work. I was facing the exit in my car when I saw a woman exit the build with her cart full. It was so full, she couldn't see the concrete post right in front of the cart and she slammed right into it forcing her load to fall out all over. She recovered and loaded everything back in and proceeded to her car. When she passed by me, I said to her "good thing that was a cart and not your car that hit that post!" She replied that she hoped no one saw her, but I said I had a front row seat and saw the whole thing! We both got a good laugh out of it.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I know you said no machines, but I'd suggest you do HIIT intervals on something like a recumbent bike. Not much you can do on those to look silly - assuming you do know how to ride a bike! :-)

Just warmup then crank the resistance up and go all out for 1 min, then reduce resistance and go at a normal pace for 1 min. Repeat as many times as you like then cool down.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have classes too? Many classes will do that for you, and they are FUN We all feel funny at first, but we all have to start somewhere
  • LittleLazySheep
    LittleLazySheep Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest having a look at ' Blogilates POP HIIT ' she makes HIIT gym workouts & also print offs so you know exactly how many reps of what you need to do :)

Also if you go on her blog you can find videos of her showing how the moves are suppose to look like :3
    http://www.blogilates.com/blog/2013/07/09/thatpower-pop-hiit-3/
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    I know you said no machines, but I'd suggest you do HIIT intervals on something like a recumbent bike. Not much you can do on those to look silly - assuming you do know how to ride a bike! :-)

Just warmup then crank the resistance up and go all out for 1 min, then reduce resistance and go at a normal pace for 1 min. Repeat as many times as you like then cool down.

I do something similar on the treadmill too.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    This is what my HIIT often looks like, or some variation:

3 minute warm up jog followed by 10 30/30 sprints (speed 8.0 and incline 2.0)
    25 Stability Ball Crunches superset with 50 Mountain Climbers 3x
    15 Captains Chair Leg Raises superset with 25 Squat Jumps 3x
    40 Weighted Russian Twists superset with 12 Box Jumps 3x
    60 second Plank hold superset with 15 weighted side bends each side 3x
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Trust when I say that there are many more people who look odd working out then someone doing a HIIT workout.

The guy that slaps himself in the face and screams on every rep.
    The person loading up the leg press with as much weight as possible and doing a quarter inch rep.
    The girl that does planks on a bench in the middle of the weight lifting area.
    The person doing squats on calve raise machine.

IDEA Fitness member
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Why not just do it at home then?
  • 90to20
    Options
    Stick to the basics:

Jump lunges
    High knee run in place
    Jumping jacks with speed
    Squat jacks
    Burpees
    Mountain climbers
    Bench hop overs
    Running step ups

IDEA Fitness member

practice in your room :smile:

Good idea :) I want to be able to do it at the gym so I can get the most out of my workout (do it after or before cardio) but I think practicing at home for a week or two might be a better choice! haha! :)
  • 90to20
    Options
    Why not just do it at home then?

I want to be able to do it before or after my cardio, just so I can get the most out of my workout, and there is a large wooden floor space at my gym that no one uses that's specifically for that. But I think I'm going to practice at home for a week or two before I start going full-force in public ^.^
  • FoodieMotion
    FoodieMotion Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Get the instructors at the gym to show you how to do it or perhaps splurge out some money on paying for one session with a PT to get yourself a programme where they can check your technique before they let you get on with it.
  • 90to20
    Options
    Trust when I say that there are many more people who look odd working out then someone doing a HIIT workout.

The guy that slaps himself in the face and screams on every rep.
    The person loading up the leg press with as much weight as possible and doing a quarter inch rep.
    The girl that does planks on a bench in the middle of the weight lifting area.
    The person doing squats on calve raise machine.

IDEA Fitness member

HAHAHA Thank you!!! This made me laugh! I wish I was the guy that slapped himself in the face and screams on every rep. I also wish I had a giant beard...LOL!
  • 90to20
    Options
    Get the instructors at the gym to show you how to do it or perhaps splurge out some money on paying for one session with a PT to get yourself a programme where they can check your technique before they let you get on with it.

Good idea! Thanks :)
  • 90to20
    Options
    This is what my HIIT often looks like, or some variation:

3 minute warm up jog followed by 10 30/30 sprints (speed 8.0 and incline 2.0)
    25 Stability Ball Crunches superset with 50 Mountain Climbers 3x
    15 Captains Chair Leg Raises superset with 25 Squat Jumps 3x
    40 Weighted Russian Twists superset with 12 Box Jumps 3x
    60 second Plank hold superset with 15 weighted side bends each side 3x

I don't even know what half those things are so I will have to look them up and maybe print them out and bring them with me or just practice them at home for a week or two first. I will save in a word doc in my workouts folder on my laptop! Thanks! :)
  • 90to20
    Options
    I'd suggest having a look at ' Blogilates POP HIIT ' she makes HIIT gym workouts & also print offs so you know exactly how many reps of what you need to do :)

Also if you go on her blog you can find videos of her showing how the moves are suppose to look like :3
    http://www.blogilates.com/blog/2013/07/09/thatpower-pop-hiit-3/

Thanks so much hon! :) Helps a lot! Really appreciated :)