cut out all bad things at once struggling!!

Options
okay so i properly started dieting about a week ago and i cut out all things i crave the most like diet coke hot chocolate chocolate squash ice cream but i have had a few slip up and eaten a few of the things i cut out.

im struggling to find healthy low calorie snack ideas maybe something under 150cals because at the moment im not eating between meals then i get really hungry after dinner and eat bad foods! :/ i have very bad self control over food

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Try greek yogurt, almonds (1oz.).
  • verasdaughter
    verasdaughter Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, shelled nuts like them shelled because lasts longer, protein bars (aldi's have some cookie dough ones that are fabulous) fruit with greek yogurt. I also eat 2 tbsp of peanut butter with some choc chips. Banana chocolate shake. Ch3ckout hungry girl website for the recipe. ...just some ideas.....also for that ice cream fix stick greek yogurt cups in freezer. Yum!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    Well, first, there are no "bad" foods. Stop with that sort of thinking. Demonizing foods is not healthy in any way, shape, or form.
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I like cut up veggies and hummus,
    greek yogurt w/fruit and walnuts,
    a banana dipped in almond (or peanut) butter,
    string cheese wrapped in smoked turkey,
    little caprese salads (made with sliced grape tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dash of basil) eaten w/string cheese on the side
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    <scratches head>

Unless you're never planning on eating those things again, figure out how to incorporate them into a reasonable weight-loss program -- that will make it far easier once you get to the maintenance phase. Going cold turkey on the foods you like just leads to cravings, binging, and weight gain once you're done "dieting".

In general, there are no bad foods, there are simply some foods that should not be eaten in large quantities.
  • sbarnes1963
    Options
    I always try to have a small snack midmorning & midafternoon. I eat 1/2 a string cheese with 1/2 an apple or a few baby carrots or a few almonds. It helps you not get so hungry before your next meal which helps you be more in control. I've read you should have some protein when your snack which should keep your blood sugar from spiking & crashing. I also try to get in my 8 glasses of water daily.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of cutting things out, and then finding yourself faced with a struggle that may lead you to binge eat, which I assume we can all agree is no good. If I may be frank, which I'm going to be anyway because I'm not too hung up on you getting offended, I think cutting things out is silly. Learning to cut back will serve you better in the long run.

No, it's not easy (sometimes it's so hard you just want to give up) and no it won't happen overnight but I'm assuming you're not just just a quick solutions dieter (but hey, a lot of people are so I'm very prepared to find out I gave you too much credit)

Try buying individual sized treats (Like the chocolates that are individual wrapped squares for example) Plan your day, figure out how many of those squares you can have while meeting whatever your daily goals are (Assuming you have some some manner of goals beyond losing weight. If not plan enough to not feel hungry than add in the chocolate) Keep that treat in mind during the day, do what needs done, and then enjoy your already planned and mathed out treat. Feel proud that you made your goals and didn't have to cut things out.

I'm telling you this because at one point I cut things out and cut my calories low and it was awful and I like to think that occasionally keeping other people from doing silly things is worth my time.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    1. Cutting out all your favorite things is just a recipe for disaster and misery
    2. Snacks between meals are not bad - make sure to have some protein for the filling factor
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo what some of the others have said.

There's no need to cut anything from your diet. Eat foods that you like, and if you want to have a treat, just figure out how to work it into your calorie goal for the day.

I find what often works best for me is to eat lots of protein (which helps keep you full), a reasonable amount of dietary fat (which helps keep you satisfied), and plenty of low-calorie, high-volume foods (like vegetables - yay fiber!). That way, I'm eating a balanced diet, but I usually still have room in my day for ice cream or fancy "dessert coffee" or whatever else I might feel like. I also eat pizza and drink beer sometimes, and it's not a big deal. I just try to fit it into my day.

If you want to have long-term success, you have to develop long-term habits. Stop demonizing foods and start working on moderation. :smile:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of cutting things out, and then finding yourself faced with a struggle that may lead you to binge eat, which I assume we can all agree is no good. If I may be frank, which I'm going to be anyway because I'm not too hung up on you getting offended, I think cutting things out is silly. Learning to cut back will serve you better in the long run.

No, it's not easy (sometimes it's so hard you just want to give up) and no it won't happen overnight but I'm assuming you're not just just a quick solutions dieter (but hey, a lot of people are so I'm very prepared to find out I gave you too much credit)

Try buying individual sized treats (Like the chocolates that are individual wrapped squares for example) Plan your day, figure out how many of those squares you can have while meeting whatever your daily goals are (Assuming you have some some manner of goals beyond losing weight. If not plan enough to not feel hungry than add in the chocolate) Keep that treat in mind during the day, do what needs done, and then enjoy your already planned and mathed out treat. Feel proud that you made your goals and didn't have to cut things out.

I'm telling you this because at one point I cut things out and cut my calories low and it was awful and I like to think that occasionally keeping other people from doing silly things is worth my time.

You...I like you...I really do.
  • cindyb327
    cindyb327 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I definitely believe in eating what you want within the caloric goal...but i find cutting out the sweets is the best way!!!! instead of sweets i'll eat peanut butter, almonds, oatmeal or fruit. if i have one little snickers bar ...that's not going to do it...i'll want more. when i stay off the sweets i feel better and don't get into a cycle of wanting more. once out of your system ,you don't crave them anymore.plus, when you start eating right and your body gets the nutrients it needs then you will have less cravings.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    okay so i properly started dieting about a week ago and i cut out all things i crave the most like diet coke hot chocolate chocolate squash ice cream but i have had a few slip up and eaten a few of the things i cut out.

im struggling to find healthy low calorie snack ideas maybe something under 150cals because at the moment im not eating between meals then i get really hungry after dinner and eat bad foods! :/ i have very bad self control over food
    So you are defining success as completely removing the things you like from your life?
  • sophiemarie987
    sophiemarie987 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all for your suggestions opinions and ideas

Although cutting everything out is probably not the best idea for me it feels best because I have a condition called pcos and carbs and sugar basically turn into fat for me whenever eaten even good sugar and this is very upsetting for me as you may understand

It's also having a parent who when sees me eating a pudding or a piece of chocolate says I'll never lose weight and I won't ever be thin because a diet means cutting out all bad things so that is how I've grown up to think just that and no matter how hard I work and go to gym or eat well it all comes down to the pressure living with a family who are like that

I do not want to fail this diet I am 100% committed to losing weight and becoming healthy
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Why would you do that? That's pretty much setting yourself up for failure, because sooner or later you'll crack from all the over-restriction and binge on everything in sight, and then you'll feel bad about yourself. Don't put yourself in that position.

There is nothing wrong or unhealthy about any of the things you listed. Just have them in moderation and make them fit into you calorie and macro goals. Problem solved!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I do not want to fail this diet I am 100% committed to losing weight and becoming healthy

well- you can thank us all you want- but you need to actually read them and heed what's being said- because you aren't.

you say you don't want to fail- and you are 100% committed- except you have chosen a path that is THE most difficult and the single most often failed version of dieting.

Cutting stuff out cold turkey- cutting LOTS of stuff cold turkey is the HARDEST thing to do. It leads to binging and guilty feelings- you are setting yourself up to fail. You do'tn realize it- but you are.

You need to set yourself up to win.

You've been eating/drinking these things- and maybe you need to start removing them for health reasons- but if you have been consuming them- then weaning yourself off and gradually developing your self discipline to say NO and work into a something that's sustainable for you is a significantly better- and proven successful method.

Stop trying control it all at once. Work on developing self discipline- it's a skill- it needs work too.
  • aka_Kamalevantis
    Options
    There is no such thing as bad food, just poor planning and bad portion control.... You can eat all of the things you love, just in moderation....

I'm sat here eating my Indian take away special Biryani ( I have one every week as I work in a curry house) and the only reason we didn't go to McDonalds this Monday (which is our weekly treat as a family) was because it was Easter Monday, so we went on Tuesday instead....

My point is, I have lost 10stone (140lb) doing this and I have no intentions of quitting now....

Control how you eat, make allowances for treats and live a normal, healthy life, not a restricted, miserable and unsustainable life.

xXx
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Although cutting everything out is probably not the best idea for me it feels best because I have a condition called pcos and carbs and sugar basically turn into fat for me whenever eaten even good sugar and this is very upsetting for me as you may understand

It's also having a parent who when sees me eating a pudding or a piece of chocolate says I'll never lose weight and I won't ever be thin because a diet means cutting out all bad things so that is how I've grown up to think just that and no matter how hard I work and go to gym or eat well it all comes down to the pressure living with a family who are like that

I'm not a doctor, but I don't believe this is how PCOS works. I'm pretty sure that even with PCOS, you still need to find the appropriate calorie deficit that will a) make progress towards your goals, b) that provides proper nutrition, and c) that doesn't lead you to binge-eating later.

Don't try to find the maximum deficit that you can endure/survive (like so many people tend to do), but instead, find the smallest deficit while still making satisfactory progress towards your goals. That will almost certainly be the deficit that will be the least painful. For many, this "sweet spot" of a deficit won't even feel like a diet at all as they aren't "starving" at any point in the process.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

I'm not a doctor, but I don't believe this is how PCOS works. I'm pretty sure that even with PCOS, you still need to find the appropriate calorie deficit that will a) make progress towards your goals, b) that provides proper nutrition, and c) that doesn't lead you to binge-eating later.

Don't try to find the maximum deficit that you can endure/survive (like so many people tend to do), but instead, find the smallest deficit while still making satisfactory progress towards your goals. That will almost certainly be the deficit that will be the least painful. For many, this "sweet spot" of a deficit won't even feel like a diet at all as they aren't "starving" at any point in the process.

Perfection. When I finally found that sweet spot, I realized I could do this for the rest of my life, on one foot, with a hand tied behind my back. Listen and FOLLOW the advice you've been given.

Read this link - it will help you crystalize a plan for getting healthy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

Why are you cutting Diet Coke? Even if I was a diet soda drinker that wanted to cut back caffeine, or whatever other reason you are cutting it from your diet, that would be the last thing I would remove when starting a new diet. You enjoy it, and it is no calorie.
    Hot Chocolate - You can get lighter versions of hot chocolate for about 35 calories a cup that are still good. If you drink a lot of the stuff, cutting back would be important to get your calories down, but there is no reason to never drink it again.

Chocolate Squash Ice cream, or is that chocolate, squash and ice cream? No reason to cut squash out unless you have allergies. It is low calorie and very filling. Chocolate - unless you are eating a ton of it a day isn't a problem either. To cut back on calories, have a piece or two of high quality chocolate (gasp, even daily). Ice cream - still fit it in. Depending on the amount of calories you eat, you may need to make it an occasional treat. They do have mini ice cream cones that I get for my kids. It is the perfect size for what the actual serving size of ice cream is supposed to be. You can eat the whole cone for a fairly low calorie treat.

When cutting back calories, I usually do go through a week or two that I am a bit more hungry. If you are ravenous though and severely cut your calories, try adding some more calories to your daily plan and see if that helps.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Why would you do that? That's pretty much setting yourself up for failure, because sooner or later you'll crack from all the over-restriction and binge on everything in sight, and then you'll feel bad about yourself. Don't put yourself in that position.

There is nothing wrong or unhealthy about any of the things you listed. Just have them in moderation and make them fit into you calorie and macro goals. Problem solved!
    Plus, even if you "succeed"...ummm, yay?