Do you have a "cheat day"?

Options

Replies

• marvelmandy
    marvelmandy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do. My husband and I have date night every friday, usually a nice meal out. I don't log it. I'd rather focus on him and enjoying ourselves at that time than stressing about my rules. It's a nice break and hasn't affected my progress.
  • ladybuttrflyz
    Options
    This is my first day but many go arounds with dieting. I think I will hold out until I cannot stand it and then have a cheat meal. No days here! I have little discipline as it is. I will however long everything. If I have a week I lose more than others I want an honest picture as to why..since I have over 100lbs to lose I should have many (but not too many) weeks to reference. :)
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    yep i have one day where i eat what i want but i log it all so i can keep an eye on my weekly goal,for instance ive mine set at maintanance which is 1650 cals a day ,giving me 11550 cals for the week,... i workout everyday and try and save some of my exercise cals for the weekend, id easily eat about 3000 cals on my cheat day,pizza, junk ,watever i fancy but once i dont go over my weekly goal then i dont gain:):) it works for me and this is what has kept me sane lol x
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I don't but I'm not really trying to lose weight. Today, for example, I wanted a cheesecake cupcake so I ate a smaller lunch because of that. I use balance as much as possible. I rarely bake or buy cake so t his was an enormous treat for me.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I have cheat days often enough. A few times a year I have cheat weekends. And during the Holidays I have a cheat month from Thanksgiving until after New years.

MOSTLY though, I eat well daily.

Biggest part of that is an hour of exercise at least 5 times per week.

It all balances out.
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! I really appreciate it. I agree that only doing one meal instead of a whole day is better. It's enough to give you a taste of the foods you miss, but not enough to throw anything off while still keep your metabolism working.
  • AugustCountdown
    AugustCountdown Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just had pizza & feel disappointed with myself so if you can avoid these cheat days..the better you'll feel
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Yep, I cheat on the days my husband is off from work (Monday and Tuesday). I don't go crazy, but I don't count on those days, I don't work out, I just sit on my *kitten* and enjoy some downtime with him. We usually go out to eat or get some snacks and watch a movie.

I feel I need a cheat day to keep me on track. The thought of eating the way I do every single day until I die is depressing. The cheat days keep me motivated. I know that if I do well all week, the cheat day is my reward. Again, I have to stress that I don't go overboard. I don't binge. I usually eat a regular breakfast, then whatever for lunch and supper.

Not everyone likes having cheat days. Other people like me need them. As long as we're on a downward trend, it's all gravy.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Nope...

I eat what I want any day I want...I make sure it fits in my calories (even those are maintenance) and I don't deprive myself.

I log everyday (I have internet) which is 99% of the days...my diary is open you can see I eat DQ, KFC, A&W, Rotten ronnies, chocolate everyday, pie whatever...

but the above is why I don't do cheat days or meals...I don't have to...I don't feel "deprived" and based on my ticker I would say it is not hampering my weight loss.
  • AmandaKnox
    AmandaKnox Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do take one (or maybe two) days off from working out to allow muscle recovery. I also allow myself one cheat meal a week, but , I don't do it on the same day I take off from the gym and i still try to log everything. Seeing the caloric result of my choices on cheat days helps me make better choices on my non-cheat days.
  • scare006jack37
    scare006jack37 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The human body builds a tolerance in everything we consume so every once in awhile to keep the biological mechanisms off guard. I overindulge to the tune of once a week, pig out on everything and everything that I love, SUGARY FOODS!
    Baby steps and having something to look forward to each week helps me stay faithful to my mass loss goals.
  • detarrevo
    detarrevo Posts: 45
    Options
    I myself am considering just a cheat meal. I've tried cheat days on Saturday but they weren't that good. One of those cheat days pushed me back 2 pounds.

Just try the cheat meal, avoid cheat days, but do pick a day to skip exercise and let your body get some rest.
  • zeussmith718
    zeussmith718 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had a cheat meal on easter that turned into a 5600 calorie binge.. fortunately within 2 days I was back down to where I was before hand and I dont think my body could digest all of it. In fact I hit a new record low for me this morning. I have noticed the few days I screwed up actually kind of helped me by dropping an extra pound with in the next day or so... not sure if its the dieting, exercise or that I only get 4-5 hours of sleep a day.
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a cheat meal in a while because I haven't been to the movies, where I like to get a Coke and a small bag of chocolate candy. I guess it's good for me that I haven't felt like paying for any movies lately!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I sorta have a couple of cheat days. I eat 1-500 calories under Monday-Thursday, and then use those extra calories on Friday and Saturday. I drink on the weekends, I eat pizza, have a shake, etc. I look to hit my calorie and macro goals for the week, so it isn't actually cheating, its just saving and spending :-p.
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Nope...

I eat what I want any day I want...I make sure it fits in my calories (even those are maintenance) and I don't deprive myself.

I log everyday (I have internet) which is 99% of the days...my diary is open you can see I eat DQ, KFC, A&W, Rotten ronnies, chocolate everyday, pie whatever...

but the above is why I don't do cheat days or meals...I don't have to...I don't feel "deprived" and based on my ticker I would say it is not hampering my weight loss.
    I like your philosophy. I tend to obsess about something if I deprive myself. Better have a little bit than to nurse a craving into a monster urge.

In the big picture, I try to keep my clean and "good" days as the majority. That's a habit I can sustain for the rest of my life.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    As I got closer to my goal, I loosened my restrictions. Weekends pretty much became (and still are) "cheat" times. I eat healthy enough the majority of the time and get enough workouts in...it's all about balance.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Sunday is my rest day (no workout) but I hat a lot of sweets this past weekend. But it was Easter so I don't think I'll be doing that very often. We usually have pizza night once a week and then every other Sunday is brunch were we have family over and there's a lot of chips and junk food out. I just have to make sure I don't eat too much while still enjoying the snacks.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    A rest day is different to a cheat day, your body needs to rest to repair itself.
    See what works for you. I have a day maybe once a month when I'll go out for dinner and not worry about my intake. I think having a whole day each week could affect your weekly total too much, unless you save up for it. Also it's not an excuse to stuff yourself, again you have to keep an eye on the weekly calorie total.
    Basically you can do what you want as long as your average calorie deficit is enough to make you lose weight at the desired pace, and you can sustain what you are doing pretty much indefinitely.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Nope...

^^This. Eat what you want, when you want, just make it fit into your calorie goals.