If you could buy any ONE home exercise machine...

Options

Replies

• DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I'd buy this;-)

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    You people need to learn how to read and keep things into context.

First line of the OP: What would you get?

I simply answered the question and gave my reasons. FFS, I'm not saying anything about what the OP should do, and she didn't say anything about not being able to go outside for some exercise.

Quit tying your panties into knots.
    She specifically asked about indoor exercise equipment. You told her to get shoes or a bike and do "some real work" outside.

I don't think we're the ones having trouble reading.

I didn't tell her to get anything. She asked what indoor equipment I would get. I said what indoor equipment I would get: None.

I said that I would skip the indoor equipment for something more fun and enjoyable. I was simply giving an alternative to blowing a lot of money on something that doesn't go anywhere. It was my opinion. It was her choice to take it or leave it.

If you have a problem with my opinion, which is what the OP asked for, then you can send your complaint to the junk folder next to my inbox. It would be more productive then putting words into my mouth. Get your facts and arguments straight.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Any way you do exercise is up to you. I have both a treadmill and elliptical and weights. I understand the whole out of breath since I have a severe lung problem that limits my exercise so therefore I cant run. The elliptical I bought when I messed up my foot and couldnt walk but could do elliptical. But honestly as far as the cardio lung function and the fish out of water feeling was helped the most by my treadmill. I do know this for a fact that when I lifted 3x a week and cut my cardio back the fish out of water feeling came back. I upped my cardio and cut back to weights 2x a week and have been feeling better again. But then again what worked for me may not work for you. You need to buy what you are the most comfortable with and will stick to in the long run. If you are going to buy something I would suggest Treadmilldoctor.com thats where I go to research all the brands. My biggest piece of advice is dont go cheap they never last! Ive killed 2 treadmills in the last 5 years! The last one I did research and paid good money for and so far so good have had it for 2 years.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I'd buy this;-)

Ok maybe it's better that it won't show it. But if you'd like to see what my smartarse remark was here it is.
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/547046685958664402/

But for though, I’d get an elliptical or a row machine.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Guys, guys, guys! yes, I asked what indoor equipment. Yes, outdoor for cardio would probably be be better.I agree it would be better if I got my *kitten* out the door and around the block. But right now, that's not the go. Reasons aside, I appreciate all the advice but yeah, looking for dark dank garage equipment advice. Y'all are making me want an awesome weight set up, however...
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    definetly the power rack.

in case no one posted it, if you buy a rack from Rogue fitness, everything in your order ships free!!!!! you can easily save over a thousand dollars in shipping if you bought plates and what not at the same time. saving my money, hope that deal stays that way lol.

if you've never been to roguefitness.com, do yourself a favor and check it out
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    but if your on a super tight budget and you had to get just one thing i'd say a pull up bar
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I love my Precor elliptical. I do the treadmill and strength training at the gym, and do the elliptical a couple times a week at home. It's nice to have something at home for those extra workouts. I've had no problems at all with my Precor - had it 6 years. It's expensive but the quality is great.
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and I would love to get an elipitical!
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Treadmill definitely! Aw yeeeee
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    i can't stand any cardio machine that locks you into a plane of motion. the eliptical eventually hurt my back. plus they are boring as all hell
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Squat rack. Hands down.

NOT the same as a Smith machine.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    definetly the power rack.

in case no one posted it, if you buy a rack from Rogue fitness, everything in your order ships free!!!!! you can easily save over a thousand dollars in shipping if you bought plates and what not at the same time. saving my money, hope that deal stays that way lol.

if you've never been to roguefitness.com, do yourself a favor and check it out

Ooh, noted. Thanks!
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    http://www.titan-t1.com/img/T1-X/html_standard/2.html

Can't post the pic, but I would take this!
  • CatyaKiller
    CatyaKiller Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What about a pair of running shoes or a real bicycle so you can go outside and enjoy the fresh air while getting an adrenaline rush from doing some actual work, instead of sitting in some dark garage,maybe watching tv while senselessly spinning away or running on the spot?

Wow how about outside exercise is not ideal for everyone. If being in a dark garage gets someone moving, then it's "actual" work. :wink:

This. I know for me personally, I like to bike and walk! However, living in a place where it has snowed for the past 5 months makes me appreciate working out in my warm home infront of my TV. At least there I won't get frostbite hahaha
  • jspicher81
    jspicher81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I <3 my treadmill
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    i can't stand any cardio machine that locks you into a plane of motion. the eliptical eventually hurt my back. plus they are boring as all hell
    ot so boring when you watch Ilyn Payne chop off Ned Stark's head while on it. :-)
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    smh - blessed are the peace makers and OP you have done a great job of not taking this jargon personally.

The key is this is your life and you are asking for advice on what suits your lifestyle.

Outdoors running is not for everyone (joints, etc. (although I do run - 4 marathons)) and biking may not be your cup of tea.

If you want a good elliptical machine and have the money it is a good alternative/low impact.

Also, to keep it fresh (seems like you have a nice garage) you can get some aerobic/yoga tapes to do alternative exercises to prevent the mundane, repetitive task of doing the same equipment day in and day out. Adding some dumbbells will also help you with the aerobic tapes and give you room for growth in other areas; if so desired.

The important thing is you are desiring to be active in the best way that suits "You" and it is not necessarily the right fit for everyone. The exact equipment (elliptical, etc.) I would recommend you do some research online and make a list of what your expectations are. You don't need a high end piece of equipment if you can get a piece at a bargain that has a competitive life cycle and reasonable maintenance plan.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    This is way more than what I need right now, but I I could buy ANY thing this would be it.

http://www.roguefitness.com/r6-power-rack.php?gclid=COPG36DO-70CFexcMgodKVoAJg

102rotl.jpg

:love: :smooched: :love:

How long til Christmas.....?
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    For cardio, I'd buy a weighted vest to make walking harder.

And for days I can't get out of the house, I'd tune in (for free) to an exercise youtube, like this one with HASfit.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG6WVOlETjw&amp;feature=plcp