Coffee a yes or a no?

Options

Replies

• iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of coffee, probably 5+ cups most days. I haven't noticed any negative effect on my weight loss. I did make a transition about a year ago and started drinking it black. Took a bit of getting used to. Every once and a while I'll splurge and put a splash of milk in. I couldn't function without my coffee.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Did you go to Harvard? That seems to be your favorite source. :tongue:
    Drinking up to six cups a day of coffee is not associated with increased risk of death from any cause, or death from cancer or cardiovascular disease.

Now... how much caffeine is in one cup, and does he mean a standard 8 oz cup, or this?

worlds-largest-coffee-cup.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    without the coffee I stop doing the walking and talking and things.

QFT
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I drink two cups of black coffee at day made with beans grounded at home, with one Splenda a no milk, creamer or anything else (why spoil the rich flavor and aroma of a fresh cup of coffee). Occasionally, my husband and I will have an afternoon coffee at The Grind or at the Coffee Bean, but never at Starbucks.

No problem losing or maintaining here.
  • annetuck2
    Options
    It may not be great for you but aren't we learning everything can be o.k. is moderation. However it would be really bad for my family if I quit cold turkey.
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Need the coffee. I try to keep it before 1pm so it doesn't affect my sleep.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I drink two cups of black coffee every morning. I have sort of given myself a rule that I need to drink two cups of water before my first cup of coffee (not usually a problems since I tend to exercise before breakfast), or I tend to just nurse the coffee all morning and suddenly it's noon and I haven't had any water. :tongue:

I often have afternoon coffee, hot or iced, and always with cream and sugar. It fits in my goals and hasn't hindered progress at all.
  • annetuck2
    Options
    ha ha but seriously where did you get that cup?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I"m a coffee drinker, not a huge coffee drinker but i like a cup in the morning and sometimes i have another one througout the day. There is a lot of conflicting information out there about if coffee is good or bad. I've red some info that actually said coffee can keep you from losing weight. Has anybody had any experience with no longer drinking coffee and it helping health wise?
    I don't know how it would keep you from losing weight.

It has a lot of antioxidants and has been shown to significantly lower Alzheimer's risk, among other things. Like anything else, moderation, moderation, moderation. But coffee is actually quite good for you.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Its a hellll yeahhhhhh!!:bigsmile:
  • JasonKnight85
    JasonKnight85 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    When I completely cut soda pop out of my diet this last time, coffee was my go too staple, but now I only seem to drink it on the weekends when I have more time to myself.

It never hindered my weight loss, and it helped ward off headaches/migraines I'd gotten every time I tried to cold turkey caffeine in the past and was unsuccessful in even cutting back drinking the carbonated yuck.

Now I'm proud to say I haven't had a soda pop in almost 2 months and don't plan on ever having one again.

The diabetes thing in the post above is very interesting since I was recently diagnosed, but through diet and exercise changes have really impressed the doctor and been able to manage my bg by monitoring and diet alone.

So short answer, yes but in moderation.
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I drink a few cups of black coffee every morning. I have lost over 40 lbs. Drinking coffee did not stop me from losing weight.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Keep drinking coffee.....just be sure not to go crazy with creamer and such......
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Unless your coffee is making you go over your calorie limit, it won't keep you from losing weight. Measure and track the calories for anything you add to it and you can continue to enjoy your coffee.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't understand yes or no here. Necessary...If you like coffee, drink it. If you put a day's worth of calories in your coffee a day though, you may need to take it easy though.
  • jenniferhorn87
    jenniferhorn87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I gave up coffee because my doctor thought that it might be contributing to heart palpitations.
    I have noticed that I have more energy without it. Caffeine in general is one of those things that are easy to become dependent on.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    yes.

aJUOLinl.jpg
  • JackieRL55
    JackieRL55 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm a coffee junkie and I'm losing weight with no problem whatsoever. My family, actually my whole island (Puerto Rico) is obsessed with coffee and we're just as sick as any other people that don't drink coffee LMAO

When I started my healthy lifestyle I tried to cut coffee, and I did...a little. I went from 5-6 cups a day to 2-3 but I absolutely, positively will not give it up. I look forward to it every day and it's the one "food" that truly makes me happy. I know it sounds weird but whatevs.

561fe893-9965-42df-b878-89de63a46da7.jpg~original
  • Dyann_Alvarez
    Dyann_Alvarez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Absofreakinglutely. With lots of (fat free) cream and even more sweetener. That's the one thing I won't give up. I have to draw a line somewhere. I have a few more years left in this life so, yeah... I will enjoy my coffee!
  • ilenewilliams
    ilenewilliams Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have to say coffee is a big YES! I don't function without it. I probably drink about 6 cups a day, usually black. Occasionally I put some half and half in it. It is my way of starting my day and ending it. I have a cup about 8PM and it is my brain's signal we are done eating for the night. If I don't have it, I can't stop snacking. So I have to say it helps my weight loss. I have a cup when the munchies hit in the afternoons too, it gives me something to do with my hands besides eat.