Coffee a yes or a no?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There's nothing at all wrong with coffee and actually, there are health benefits to drinking coffee...I think the issue is more of what people tend to put in their coffee than the coffee itself.

whether you drink coffee or not is completely irrelevant to your weight loss.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    130282592_amazoncom-coffee-freak-funny-tile-coaster-by-cafepress-.jpg
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    1 cup every morning regular old coffee. That's it for me.
  • pammerz88
    pammerz88 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee! It's part of my wake up routine and it makes me happy. I've lost all of my weight while having 2 cups every morning.

Same here! I won't give up my coffee. I used to drink a Mt Dew every morning and I would like to think coffee is a much better choice for me.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think the taste of it is good and it helps me um, use the restroom in the morning. That is the number one reason I drink my daily cup to be honest.

#1 and #2 reasons for drinking coffee :wink:

lol yesss
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I can't talk, walk or see straight w/out coffee! We ask our patients who seem to be in great shape ( these are elderly people) if they drink coffee, most do.... So I am going to object to it being bad and keep on drinking my black coffee!
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    The one thread everyone can agree on, YES to coffee!:drinker:
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I have 2 8 oz cups of coffee every weekday. I sometimes have a third cup just after lunch. I sometimes add splenda, though I am cutting back to black coffee.

Here is a study that was published in 2005 regarding low caffeine and high caffeine people undergoing weight loss and maintenance experiments: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2005.142/full

The result, regarding weight loss:
    "During the body weight loss phase when all subjects used a VLED, an association between body weight loss and habitual caffeine intake appeared. Body weight loss during the VLED was greater in the group with a habitual high caffeine intake (>300 mg/d). Furthermore, at baseline, satiety was positively related to habitual caffeine intake in both sexes, and leptin was inversely related to habitual caffeine intake in women."
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

Did you go to Harvard? That seems to be your favorite source. :tongue:
    Drinking up to six cups a day of coffee is not associated with increased risk of death from any cause, or death from cancer or cardiovascular disease.

Now... how much caffeine is in one cup, and does he mean a standard 8 oz cup, or this?

worlds-largest-coffee-cup.jpg

They said a standard 8 oz cup, with 100 mg of caffeine.

Now, fill that cup with black coffee and give it to me!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    I drink several cups of coffee a day, with low fat milk and no sugar or sweetener. Not much calories in them at all.
    No plans to change this.
  • beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee every day, I keep what I add to it to a minimum that is where it can hurt you. At home I make a giant mug and add a couple tablespoons of creamer.
    Today as I do every Friday I hit up Starbucks and get a Venti Iced Coffee with Non-Fat milk. Best 40 calories of my day. :bigsmile:

I have had no issue losing weight at all and even if it slowed it down there is no way I am cutting out coffee, it makes me happy to have my cup of java so I will keep doing it as long as I live
  • bwats33
    bwats33 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from personal experience, but I drink 2-3 cups of coffee per day during the week (not on weekends). I've been averaging almost 2 lbs a week in weight loss, so coffee hasn't has much of an impact for me. I do drink it black though....if you candy up your coffee, that could make a huge calorie difference.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Drinking up to six cups a day of coffee is not associated with increased risk of death from any cause, or death from cancer or cardiovascular disease.

Now... how much caffeine is in one cup, and does he mean a standard 8 oz cup, or this?

worlds-largest-coffee-cup.jpg

Excuse me! But I ordered the LARGE cappuccino.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I did not, but you are correct. It is my favorite source.

I read an interview with Walter Willet on diets and conflicting study results and changing recommendations back in the 80's and it was the first thing that really got me thinking about nutrition and it's affect on heatlh, etc.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    YES for coffee! I drink a medium iced coffee with skim milk and no sugar almost every day. I also sometimes add a 10 calorie flavor shot. I am lucky, I don't like anything too sweet, and I hate cream, so my coffee is less than 50 cals! I also love Chai Latte Keurig cups which are I believe 60 calories. I don't need milk or anything for those!
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    For me: Yes! I drink a 12 oz coffee from Peet's with a splash of cream and a bit of sweetner each weekday morning. Sometimes I splurge and have a nonfat latte on the weekend. I use to drink all the fancier sugary drinks more often, but quickly learned they are dangerous! My morning coffee has become a treat to me in some ways. If I want more later in the day, I usually drink a hot tea instead with no cream and no sugar.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    gif_shop_coffee.gif

I can honestly say YES I am addicted to coffee. But it has not hurt my weight loss.

This!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Not about coffee and weight, but more evidence that it's coffee may be good for you.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140424190516.htm
    Summary:
    Increasing coffee consumption by on average one and half cups per day over a four-year period reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes by 11 percent, research shows. Coffee and tea consumption has been associated with a lower type 2 diabetes risk but little is known about how changes in coffee and tea consumption influence subsequent type 2 diabetes risk, until now.
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Nope. I feel better with it, and it helps prevent colon cancer. I've known people who lived to be 100+ (worked in a nursing home, had a few patients in their 100's and one who was 105 when she died) and still drank their coffee every single morning until they took their last breath.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Did someone say COFFEE?!?! :love:

I know there is a lot of info that's either against or for drinking coffee. For me personally it has helped me get to where I am in my weight loss. I drink about 2-3 cups (12-16oz cups) per day, only use half and half or almond milk and equal.
    Not only a pick me up but also served as my sweet treat.

Now if you can excuse me.... gonna go make myself another cup :tongue:

21525558.png