Slimming down runner's legs

Options
2»

Replies

• scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    What's your BF%? Unless you're like, Incredible Hulk, running isn't going to make your legs massive. Coupled with appropriate calories, it will shred fat off your legs, and unless you are doing nothing but hillwork and sprints, it's an aerobic exercise... Are you confusing "thick" with actual "muscle"?

^^^ Yup! People often mix fat with muscles... Same thing with fat and skin....

Google "elite female runner". None of them have big legs and I'm pretty sure those legs are strong!

Yep, no muscle here
    shelly-ann-fraser-pryce2.jpg

(She won the 2012 gold for 100m, 5'-0", 115 lbs)

You need to look at elite distance runners, not just elite runners ;)
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    What's your BF%? Unless you're like, Incredible Hulk, running isn't going to make your legs massive. Coupled with appropriate calories, it will shred fat off your legs, and unless you are doing nothing but hillwork and sprints, it's an aerobic exercise... Are you confusing "thick" with actual "muscle"?

Google "elite female runner". None of them have big legs and I'm pretty sure those legs are strong!

Yep, no muscle here

Ooooops my bad lol
    I doubt OP is a 100m sprinter though ;)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Yep, no muscle here

Ooooops my bad lol
    I doubt OP is a 100m sprinter though ;)

My understanding is that the sprinters do quite a bit of heavy lifting to develop explosive power. I seriously doubt just running is going to build muscles like that. Certainly it didn't give her biceps, shoulders, and traps like that!

Which brings me to my suggestion - OP, have you considered balancing out your body by weight training your upper body? My observation is that the runners I know look relatively puny in their upper body (which then makes the lower half look bigger) unless they spend some time compensating.

I'd suggest weights for the lower body too, but you since you believe the 'lifting makes me bulky' meme, I figure there's not much point :flowerforyou:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Anyone notice this is a 3 yr old zombie thread?
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Embrace those sexy muscular legs! Other than that I agree, stretching, especially yoga or pilates might help a bit.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This is not what you want to hear, but stop running. And trust me, I am a runner and I know what an infuriating response this is!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    This is not what you want to hear, but stop running. And trust me, I am a runner and I know what an infuriating response this is!

:huh:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Yep, no muscle here

100M is not distance running, that is sprinting. Completely different build and performance measures, hence my "hillwork and sprints" comment.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    stop moving and allow the atrophy to commence

And I got necroed again. I really need to start paying more attention.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Yep, no muscle here

100M is not distance running, that is sprinting. Completely different build and performance measures, hence my "hillwork and sprints" comment.

Did you read what I quoted at all?

She said to google elite runners. I pointed out that if you google elite runners, your going to come across sprinters which contradicts all the factual points on this thread. You've got to look at distance runners and only distance runners.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Anyone notice this is a 3 yr old zombie thread?

Dang! Obviously I didn't until you pointed it out.
  • LoveHummingbirds
    Options
    Yoga
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    This is outside the box, but take up swimming in place of running. It tends to lengthen out muscles.

you do realize the muscles are connected at fixed points and unless you lengthen said fixed points- it's physically impossible to "lengthen" a muscle beyond it's already established size,...

right? like you under stand this concept? please say you do.

- but some people do not possess the full range of movement in some said muscles so by stretching said muscle it can give the illusion that the muscle is longer because one has effectively lengthened the muscle, whereas they have only released the muscle's potential to increase available flexibility; thus appearing to be longer.