Do you eat before a morning jog/run

Options
2»

Replies

• sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I don't. I drink water during or right after and I typically don't eat until a couple hours later when I'm all cleaned up and at work.
  • janinelambiase
    Options
    I only have coffee before my morning run and some water and eat later when I am at work and in the evenings I do my workout before dinner.
    I don't feel good working out with a full belly!
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Like most folks here, I drink a few big glasses of water and some coffee and head out. I've found this is fine for anything up to 2 hrs.

As I'm adding more miles to long runs though, I've started bringing those running snacks (chews for me) to make sure I don't run out of energy.

On race days, I have an early breakfast of eggs, toast and almonds due to the long time between wake up and start time of the run.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Under 10 miles, nothing. Over 10 miles, pbj on toast.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My only morning run is my long runs on Sundays - and they are all over 13 miles.

I usually have a bowl of cereal and a bagel or toasted English muffin about 1.5 hours before I start my run. Oh, and water.

When I'm not in full on marathon training - and my runs average around the 10 mile mark, I'll just have a banana and some water.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It depends, really. If I am planning on a mid/late morning run, I will eat breakfast. I find, for most of my runs, it's beneficial for me to either eat nothing (if I'm going to run within an hour and a half) or to go ahead and eat (If it's going to be after an hour and a half.). What I eat plays a role as well. Sausage doesn't agree with me and running at all, but most other things are ok.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I heard that 250 calories before a workout fuels the body.
    Also have 10 g of protein within a half hour after working out is suppose to be good.
    To each their own.
    Basically anything one consumes is fuel. Eating fat before a workout doesn't yield the same energy availability as carbs do.
    Protein after a workout is "optimal", but really isn't any different than taking it later for the average person. Elite athletes, possibly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Week days (shorter/tempos/fartleks/pace) - My Chai (tea+creamer) + 2 biscuits

Weekend Runs (Longer runs) - My Chai (tea+creamer) + 2 or 4 biscuits + 1 HUGE large Coffee

However as soon as I'm done with my runs I can absolutely hear my body shouting "FEED... FEED ME DAMN IT"
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Weekdays are first thing in the morning runs before I have to get ready for work. I am in a time crunch. So the runs are usually shorter (all under an hour). And the only thing I have is a cup of coffee with a little flavored creamer.

Weekends I have more time to play with. So my Saturday Long Run will vary but most likely be over an hour maybe 2. On those I will have a little oatmeal with a banana & milk and offcourse coffee.

Now I have been doing some reading this week on what LDR's will do for you. Any running over an hour will start to stimulate your glycogen stores. You start depleting some of your stores (not necessarily completely but enough to stimulate it) to the point where your body begins to build up a resistance and you actually begin increasing your glycogen stores. Basically, if you practice running for long periods of time, your body will begin to adapt by allowing your body the capacity to store even more energy for those future longer runs. So maybe running a little empty in the morning on your training runs will do you good in the long run. Tho you may feel a little sluggish until your body adapts.

Plus reading the RW Big Book on M and HM Training, it talks about the body's capability to absorb food quick enough before your run. So unless you eat like an hour or 2 before your run, whatever you eat won't necessarily get processed and absorbed fast enough to fuel your actual run. So your body is depending on your glycogen stores and fat conversion to fuel your morning run (which would be a good thing in training). Eat too much just before or during your run will cause stomach problems. While you are running, your body will only have the capacity to absorb like 100 calories worth of quick carbs. That is why all your sports goos and gels if you read the nutritional label is exactly 100 calories. If you use a gel or goo while running, drink only water (no sports drinks) or that can mess up your run. Those 100 calories are good for 45 minutes during the run, then you can use another gell or goo.

While resting, your body can use all the blood for digestion and absorption. But when you are running, all the blood is too busy delivering oxygen from your lungs and other nutrients/harmones from your liver to your legs to conduct aerobic conversion to help fuel your run. Since it is too busy doing that, not enough blood can be used for digestion and absorption so the capability to process calories drops until you reach resting state again.

Just some tidbits I thought I share.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Week days (shorter/tempos/fartleks/pace) - My Chai (tea+creamer) + 2 biscuits

Weekend Runs (Longer runs) - My Chai (tea+creamer) + 2 or 4 biscuits + 1 HUGE large Coffee

However as soon as I'm done with my runs I can absolutely hear my body shouting "FEED... FEED ME DAMN IT"

Reminds me of the Irish/Scottish dude from the Scott's Lawn commercials: feed your body... FEED IT!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I hate running in the morning, but there's this little issue of race coordinators who think the butt-crack of dawn is a great starting time. :grumble:

If I'm running a 5k, I'll have about 200 calories before that race. 10k, 400 calories. Half marathon is about 600 calories (I only had 400 calories before my first half marathon, and at mile 8 I really needed a sammich). I have found that works best for me. I don't run very well if my stomach is growling.
  • dauvis
    dauvis Posts: 57
    Options
    For me, I don't eat before my 30 minute weekday runs. For my long weekend run (if in the morning), I have been having juice and a fruit.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    90% of the time I just run because I'm too lazy to get up even earlier to eat in time for the food to digest before running. But every once in a while I will get some toast with PB down before a run.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    I hate running in the morning, but there's this little issue of race coordinators who think the butt-crack of dawn is a great starting time. :grumble:

If I'm running a 5k, I'll have about 200 calories before that race. 10k, 400 calories. Half marathon is about 600 calories (I only had 400 calories before my first half marathon, and at mile 8 I really needed a sammich). I have found that works best for me. I don't run very well if my stomach is growling.

According to RW Big Book of M and HM Training, 200 calories an hour before your run; or 400 calories 2 hours before your run; or 600 calories 3 hours before your run. Otherwise your body won't process fully in time because of the reasons I listed above. So the answer is carb loading starting 2 or 3 days just before your race until the night before. That way your glycogen stores are full.

If you practice training on an empty stomach in the morning, eventually your body gets used to it. That is how I used to be. I HAD to eat something. Now all I want is coffee and then I can run. For the first month or so, your run will feel sluggish, but you will get used to it. Then during the race you will kick butt if you do everything else correctly.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    The only time I run in the morning is when I'm going for a long run. So I eat before those -- some toast, some granola, something small but easy to digest -- and drink a big glass of water. If I was just going out for a quick 2 miler or something, I would just drink water and head out the door, though.
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I workout and run in the morning and always have 1/2 a banana and a few sips of water beforehand. I always wake up so hungry so if I don't put a little something in the tank I feel shaky and bonk fast. When I get into marathon training this fall and start to do longer runs, I will have something a bit more substantial beforehand like a whole banana + toast or protein bar. I'm a big fan of the "listen to your body" method and keeping it simple.