Pregnant woman asked to leave gym because of her belly?!?

Options

Replies

• yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Without knowing all the specifics here is my 10 cents.

I think if they have a strict policy about not having your belly show, she should have made sure hers was covered, pregnant or not rules are rules. On that note, the gym handled it poorly and definitely should re-evaluate their procedures. How hard would it have been to tell her that it's against policy to have your belly showing and that she would need to change her attire? Explain why the rule exists rather than making a scene and causing the woman to feel unwelcome.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

I think if they have a strict policy about not having your belly show, she should have made sure hers was covered, pregnant or not rules are rules. On that note, the gym handled it poorly and definitely should re-evaluate their procedures. How hard would it have been to tell her that it's against policy to have your belly showing and that she would need to change her attire? Explain why the rule exists rather than making a scene and causing the woman to feel unwelcome.

This post seems logical. +1
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Even with my preggo shirts my belly popped out and made it's appearance. However, if that would have been me with my crazy preggo hormones I probably would have belly popped someone across the room for being rude.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

This ^^
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Uhoh.... she was asked to leave Planet Fitness.

(grabs popcorn) :drinker:
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Oh look. Planet Fitness again.

hqdefault.jpg
  • Cedura
    Cedura Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think that larger shirt sizes exist. If I can cover my "fat person" belly, then she can cover her "pregnant person" belly. Maternity clothes exist for this reason, and buying a larger exercise tank top is always an option.
    Did the gym handle it poorly- yes.
    But they give you all the policies in your contract when you sign up, and being pregnant is not an excuse to break a rule when there are obvious solutions.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    i can guess what gym this is without clicking on the article
  • duckturnrot
    duckturnrot Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My tummy pops out of the maternity clothes I have...Now at 34w and looking at the picture, it wasn't like a full belly.. Needless to say she was ONLY 18w and I didn't start showing until I was around 28w. She could have fit her belly into her clothes. But I do think that the gym handled it poorely.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    And, of course this happened at a Planet Fitness.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I told her at that time, 'Of course my belly is hanging out, I am pregnant.'"

Eh. The gym had a dress code and she violated it. She's not that big. Women who are overweight have bigger bellies and manage to cover them. She's kind of an idiot, IMO.

But the employees should have quietly let her cancel instead of making a scene.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    They show her picture in the link. Not that pregnant and could have worn something that covered her belly.

She said: " 'Of course my belly is hanging out, I am pregnant.'" It seems to me that is no different than " 'Of course my belly is hanging out, I am fat.'" I don't see a special privilege occurring because it is a baby and not fat.

(Actually, most of it WAS fat when I was pg :blushing: )

I don't think you can enforce a rule like covering if you are fat but you don't need to if pg.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Anymore, I think people are purposely are voilating PF's codes just to get kicked out so they can cancel their membership without having to pay the cancellation fee. Getting in the news tends to be a good motivator for some people also.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Total BS on how it appears to have been handled by the gym staff. I can understand having a dress code in the gym, but really, this is how you enforce it?
  • CassandraBurgos83
    Options
    I told her at that time, 'Of course my belly is hanging out, I am pregnant.'"

Eh. The gym had a dress code and she violated it. She's not that big. Women who are overweight have bigger bellies and manage to cover them. She's kind of an idiot, IMO.

But the employees should have quietly let her cancel instead of making a scene.

That's my main thing-> They could have tactfully handled this without causing a stink.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    18 weeks? She's showing her belly on purpose at that stage. Not saying it isn't cute or whatever, but her pants are pulled way down on purpose.

Now if she was 39 weeks and ready to pop, no way she should have to buy bigger clothes to wear for a week. I was expecting to see a gigantic pregnant belly, not a teeny bump with her pants pulled way down.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I don't know, to me her belly isn't even really "hanging out". I don't see an issue with what she's wearing. I've seen people dress even more skimpy than that at a gym before.

Still, it could have been handled better by the gym staff.
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Why is she so special that she shouldn't follow the rules?

And if she was so embarrassed by the whole encounter I'm curious why she ran straight to the media?:huh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Anymore, I think people are purposely are voilating PF's codes just to get kicked out so they can cancel their membership without having to pay the cancellation fee. Getting in the news tends to be a good motivator for some people also.
    That's the part I don't get. Why is someone getting kicked out of a gym for a dress code violation news?
  • CassandraBurgos83
    Options
    Why is she so special that she shouldn't follow the rules?

And if she was so embarrassed by the whole encounter I'm curious why she ran straight to the media?:huh:

My guess was, that they embarrassed her and made her feel shamed by the way they handled the situation, it's not that it's a bad facility, it's the way they enforce their rules. Yes, rules are rules, but have some tact.