Question about SO support....

Options
2»

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    My husband has always been supportive of what I want to do, but sometimes he forgets what exactly I'm doing at the moment :tongue:

I love this!

:flowerforyou: :heart:

He's a champ. He has his bad day, to be sure, but he mostly goes with my flow. He's my best buddy too!
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This is such a happy post! Love all the positivity!!!!

My SO is also eating healthy and trying to lose weight, but doesn't use mfp or see the need for it. Things work differently for everyone and we both accept that. We often take turns making dinner and he always calorie counts for me when it is his turn.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I was taken aback a bit when I heard Hubby bragging about my weight loss and running a couple years ago. I mean, I knew he was proud of me but when friends stopped by that we hadn't seen in a while, he'd make sure to point it out like - check her out, isn't she doing great?! She's doing a 5k next week too!

I haven't made any great strides in a while so I'm not hearing it so much anymore but he's still my best cheerleader - convinces me to go out for a walk/run when I don't feel like it and asks me how my workouts are going once in a while.

He's also recently started bragging about our food choices. We're not exactly the healthiest eaters I know (especially compared to some of my friends who do all clean/organic) but once he saw what some of his friends were stocking in their kitchens, he realized we do pretty good - especially compared to how we used to eat!
  • knt6742
    knt6742 Posts: 36
    Options
    This is definitely a great post. My boyfriend doesn't really get the whole calorie counting thing. He is naturally really slim and he's really fit and active. But he's super supportive of me working out and trying to eat healthier. Though I do get tired of him trying to get me to go running...
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I'm very lucky that my fiance is so supportive. In fact, he was the driving force behind me figuring out some of my issues when calorie counting wasn't working on its own. We also lift together, do hill sprints together and walk and hike together a lot. I find having a partner to do it with to be so incredibly helpful as there were certainly times I wouldn't have pushed myself as hard or even done some workouts without him saying "let's go!" And, I like to think, the help is mutual. We also eat very similarly (though he eats a LOT more), so that's really helpful as there aren't a lot of temptations in house as he can tolerate a lot more in calories and carbs than I can.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My husband bought a treadmill and weight bench for me. He put the treadmill together for me after he came home from work in the middle of the night because he knew how badly I wanted to use it. He has resisted his urge to bring home Krispy Kreme donuts because he realizes I have very little willpower. His eyes never glaze over when I mention something about my weight or MFP. He helps hold the measuring tape level when I'm checking for inches lost. I could go on and on. Yeah, he's a sweetheart. No, no one else can have him.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    When we go out to dinner, my SO generally lets me pick where we go, so that I can pick somewhere with a meal that will generally fit into my calories for that day. He's not really a picky eater, so he's always cool with wherever I suggest.

He also totally gets woken up by my super early wake-up time for the gym, but never complains or gets mad that I woke him up like 2-3 hours before his normal wake-up time. He's a keeper :love:
  • beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have been very lucky, my husband has also been tracking using MFP as he wanted to shed some pounds. He and I workout together daily and he helps with picking out smart food choices. I love having him behind me on this since he knows how hard I have struggled in the past and knows that I want to make sustainable changes that will keep me on this path. :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Love it! I remember being surprised when I came home from work to find my SO was cooking me a nice dinner and he already had all the nutritional info figured for me :smooched: He does this every time he cooks now and I couldn't appreciate it more!

My husband does this frequently too, and I love it!

He has been supportive from Day One. He didn't join MFP himself until I'd been on the site for 9 or 10 months but now he does it too...I started it with almost 100 lb to lose and he is just losing 25 or so but he likes it and "gets it". He thinks it's a very useful tool.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    My ex was a drag. He told me I was fat (not), then skinny fat (nope) then started running around like his pants were afire. I told him to "keep running" and left.

My wonderful DH is following my example for getting in shape mostly. He was the one who found MFP for me when I only had to lose a few pounds for kick boxing. He started using it himself. He has bigger weight issues. We both cook healthy, go to the gym and take walks.

I'm training him. I was afraid to help him with his weight/work out. I finally agreed reluctantly. I was afraid it would lead to marital conflict. I was happy he wanted to get in shape but not at the cost of a happy marriage!

I lost my weight rather quickly. HIs weight is stubborn, fluctuates a lot, and leaves him discouraged :frown: He hates the gym and dieting is difficult for him. I wish he was happier with his body as-is. It's almost like he's at war with it!

I like reading stories about folks who struggle and how their husbands and SOs help them without being overwhelming. I hope I can be as helpful to my DH as your spouses and partners are to you! I appreciate the tips on how to help him. Thank you!