Do you ever feel forced to have a cheat day?

Options
2»

Replies

• bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy the time with your family. They won't always be there. Two days is not going to kill you. When you go out to eat, look for a food item that seems like it would be the lower calorie option. If the place has baked chicken, then go that route, etc. Bottom line is don't miss out on a couple of days of good times and memories with the family stressing out over your calories. Just get back on track after.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I don't know about a "cheat day", but definitely allow yourself a treat or two.

This Saturday for example, my wife and I are driving a few hours away to go shopping for the whole day. There's a few pastry shops in this area that make cookies I can not get at home, nor can my wife or I make, lol. So, I plan on buying a good amount of these cookies and eating them on the ride home. However, the rest of the day I plan on staying with my typical food intake.

If you want to have a cheat day, go for it, but you might set yourself back a good amount. A treat or two won't hurt anything. Just remember dude.... a salad won't make you skinny, nor will one McDonald's burger make you fat.
  • aimladuke
    aimladuke Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I find I often hit a "new low" 2-3 days after splurging a little. I obviously don't let it happen often (just special occasions like holidays) but it is a good reset for my mind/ body, Relax, enjoy, have fun with your family. Remember you are not going to gain a pound of fat in 2 days.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    You could always make a deal with yourself--eat, but don't gorge. Practice eating proper portions of everything. Don't eat anything just because it's there (my mom makes a few things that are just so-so) and just eat your favorites. Eat lighter meals when it doesn't count as much.

This is the sort of real-life situation that we ALL need to learn to navigate if we are going to be successful long-term.

Also, when my extended family gets together we try to do active things--bowling, roller skating, walks to the park, etc.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Food does not have to equal or even be associated with fun or memories. Make memories that don't involve food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Like others said, it's not 'til June, and your feelings may change before then or you may be needing a brief break, so I wouldn't worry about it now. What's important to keep in mind is that it's not all or nothing. You can accept that you won't have the control over the precise foods and calorie counts that you do while at home (that's what I'm getting from not wanting to deviate at all) without that meaning you just go nuts.

I would try to work on the fact that you feel like you have to eat more to show your family you are having fun. Most of what you mentioned really doesn't require pigging out, unless you want it to. For example, trying every new restaurant--if this is something you and your family likes (mine does, and so do I), do it, but that doesn't mean you can't try to pick healthier options or must eat until you are stuffed or have a giant dessert or the like. I'm also not saying you can't if you genuinely want to, but there are ways to enjoy these kinds of activities without feeling like you have to go off the rails. Similarly, pizza is fine, some kinds are lower cal than others (thin crust, for example), there's a difference between eating a couple of pieces and just eating until it stops tasting good. Breakfast, really, that's up to you. If you prefer to be more moderate in your choices and not go for the highest cal options, that really shouldn't affect anyone else's enjoyment. It's not like your mom is cooking for you!

I'm not saying you are doing this necessarily, but I know sometimes I start thinking that I have to do something for social reasons (my friend wants to order dessert, so I really have to go along too, or she wants to split fries, so I have to agree) that I really don't have to, but it's kind of a way of justifying to myself something I probably just want to do. What I don't like about this is that I tend to be less satisfied after this kind of eating than when I just say to myself "I really want fries tonight, one order can fit in my plan and I will log it." So try to realize that you really don't have to pig out if you don't want, but it's okay to have a break for a couple of days and not worry about food over a vacation trip.
  • JLWright73
    JLWright73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation last month when my family went on vacation. My kids were on Spring Break and it is the only vacation time we have all year and we go to Alabama for some sun and beach time. I decided when we left I was not going to worry about what I ate while on vacation. I ate tons of seafood and treated myself to some desserts and only worked out one time the whole week. When we got back I was afraid to step on the scale but was shocked to see I'd actually lost two pounds! I think that the relaxation and lowering of my cortisol probably compensated a bit for the indulgence.

I guess it breaks down to your relationship with food. I gave myself leeway to indulge, but I am not an emotional eater and do not have an unhealthy relationship with food. I just tend to misjudge portions resulting in a little extra weight. If you have an unhealthy relationship with food that has resulted in excessive weight gain then it is probably not a good idea to fall off the wagon completely for that time. If you are someone that is disciplined and able to immediately go back to managing your diet than I don't think a couple days of treating yourself are going to be detrimental to your goals.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I went to Kansas City for our anniversary this year (didn't have enough time off for a real vacation). The first day, we ate McDonald's on the way down, and had a massive bbq dinner. Then we had lunch at the T-Rex cafe (huge portions, I couldn't even finish my food), and dinner at a Thai place. Then on the way back, Burger King for lunch, and Easter dinner with his family. I sure didn't lose weight, but all the "weight" I thought I'd gained was gone by the Tuesday right after.

Don't worry about one bad weekend, or even one bad week. You can always get back on the horse :]
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It does feel a bit like an excuse to binge and get all off track for a longer period of time, and will include guilt. Can you meet yourself 1/2 way and enjoy new places, have fun, but make better choices than the old days and stop eating when you are satisfied, even if it means throwing out food? Please don't think I'm judging...this is my own voice of experience speaking. As I read your post, I was hit with all kinds of feelings that I could see myself going through if I did that...guilty, hopeless, overwhelmed...you name it. Enjoy your trip however you handle the food! :)

If you're feeling guilty about eating while on vacation...or anytime for that mater, you don't have a healthy relationship with food.

I'm not sure how you intended this reply, but I'm a bit offended because this sounds a bit condescending. If I had a healthy relationship with food all along, I wouldn't have gotten to be 100 pounds overweight! I'm a work in progress, as are most of us here. My answer was to the question of feeling FORCED to have a cheat day. If I felt FORCED, I would feel guilty, etc, but that goes much deeper than food. You notice I had alternatives that did not include guilt, because I'm learning to make choices that work for me, not just for everyone around me.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go against the grain here.

I don't really think there are "cheat" days. Who are you cheating? This is for you, right? Or your family/kids through you? So, you're cheating yourself or them? How does that work?

I have days when I don't log everything because it would take me too long to figure out what I've consumed, but even then, I don't gorge myself. That's one of the habits that I've worked so hard to leave behind (and boy, was it hard and took a lot of tea), and I don't want to go back to that place. I do eat what I want. I go out for meals, I eat breakfast out, I drink sidecars at my favorite restaurant, but I don't do it with complete abandon, because I can't or I'll pile on the pounds again, and I don't want the emotional weight of dealing with guilt either.

Also, I would say that you are going to shrink as you lose weight, and, trust me, your family will notice and comment. So, they're going to find out anyway, so why "hide" what you're doing to lose it? You'll get comments - some positive, some negative maybe. Learning to deal with that now might make it easier next time.

I completely understand the whole "food as celebration" thing, but just because your family has always done it, doesn't mean it always has to be that way. Why not use this trip as a way of changing how you celebrate as a family? Maybe, take one photo with everyone in it doing something goofy, and do that for every celebration. That could be cool to look back on as the kids grow up.

You've got a while to plan your strategy, which is great. Good luck!
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I've been going like gangbusters the past four weeks, eating on plan, exercising more, lost 6 lbs. Yay for me. Got sick Wed and yesterday .... low grade fever (enough to knock me though), sore throat/eustacian tubes/head. Felt. Like. Crap. yesterday. I was also starving so .... I never touched my weight loss log, my exercise log, my other apps that help me and .... I ate. Like a piggy. I even ate some Easter candy that I hadn't touched AT ALL. And ... that was yesterday. It's done, it's over. I feel better today (no fever so the aches are gone), pulled my itouch back out, started logging at my first sip of coffee. Don't quite have the energy to go full blast on exercise but am going to attempt a dog walk. Maybe two.

Your trip is only for two days. You can go hog-wild, stay totally on track or compromise. Stay on track for two out of three meals or eat whatever you want but only eat half of it. You can compensate by really cutting back before you go, exercising more, and getting right back on track the minute you get home. Eating off plan for a few days won't derail you but what can keep you offtrack for longer than you'd like is the whole mental thing of it. If you eat off plan while on vacation just make sure you nail it 100% back on plan when you get home. That's the real challenge, imo. Have fun!

Oh yeah, one more thing. Sometimes I can be totally on plan, exercising, etc and the scale just doesn't seem to budge much. I'll go off plan (like being sick or out of frustration or for whatever reason) and within a few days the scale just drops down. Almost like my body went 'oh hey, you do still know how to consume mass quantities. Ok, we're not starving I'll let go of some of this fat that I've been hanging on to 'just in case'." Weird.
  • kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Not forced but I do feel kinda guilty about it when lots of special occasions happen at once. Maybe do a fast day 5;2 style to try and balance it out a wee bit? x
  • ejoy77
    ejoy77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat a reasonable quantity of food, which may or may not be above your MFP calorie budget, but which is enjoyable and guilt-free? I don't think it has to be an all-or-nothing deal, like either you strictly stick to my calorie budget, or you binge-eat and make yourself feel guilty about it afterward. Just be reasonable. Eat if you're hungry, but don't gorge yourself. Enjoy delicious things, but more importantly, enjoy the time with family. And meanwhile, don't worry about the calorie count for a couple of days. Two days won't ruin you. Then, when the time is over, go back to tracking.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, just fit it into my day.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

One being since we are all going (me, my girlfriend and daughter) and we never go on trips, I feel like we are supposed to have a fun care free time and do fun things like....eating at every new restaurant we come across. Ordering pizza in the motel. Getting some delicious calorie dense breakfast every morning.

My boyfriend and I try to eat local when we go on vacation. We like to try all those hole in the walls or places we don't get at home. I tend to eat more than I normally would. Once home I get right back on track and I usually haven't done that much damage. If we have a big breakfast we often skip lunch. It all works out in the end.

To me vacation is a break from every day life. I have fun, I eat what I want, I don't track my food. I most definitely don't feel guilty about it. If I ate like that every day, that would be a problem.
  • ZestyItalian2
    Options
    There's only so much damage you can do in two days. You'll probably gain some water weight too if you go heavy on the carbs and salt, but that'll come back off quickly.

Problem for me is that a cheat day or weekend too often turns into a bingy tailspin - I always pull out of it but it often takes the better part of a week. If you can keep it to two days off the wagon and then tighten back up, good on ya. Again, you can't really hurt yourself too much in two days, and a gluttonous weekend may actually refresh your resolve anew when you go back to your regimen.
  • Lindzpnc
    Lindzpnc Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It does feel a bit like an excuse to binge and get all off track for a longer period of time, and will include guilt. Can you meet yourself 1/2 way and enjoy new places, have fun, but make better choices than the old days and stop eating when you are satisfied, even if it means throwing out food? Please don't think I'm judging...this is my own voice of experience speaking. As I read your post, I was hit with all kinds of feelings that I could see myself going through if I did that...guilty, hopeless, overwhelmed...you name it. Enjoy your trip however you handle the food! :)

If you're feeling guilty about eating while on vacation...or anytime for that mater, you don't have a healthy relationship with food.

Made me chuckle... Most Americans don't.... And obvious if were trying to loose weight its because we have a problem with food however miniscule it may be