Polar Loop vs Garmin Vivofit?

Options
I'm looking into an activity tracker, and I've narrowed it to the polar loop or garmin vivofit, since they are the only ones out there with HRM strap options.

It seems that they're both great, and the major takeaway differences are as follows:

loop- needs to be charged every 4 days, backlit screen
vivo- 1 year of battery time, no backlight so bad in darkness, color options

with the strap they run 170 and 180, so no major difference there.

Does anyone have one or both and has an opinion on one over the other?

Thanks.

Replies

• chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have a vivofit, and I love it. It is a bit tricky to get it to synch, but I LOVE that it will tell me if I have been inactive too long, and the backlight issue isn't really a problem. I just set my band to sleep while I still have a little bit of light. Plus, I don't really do too many activities where I would need to see my HR in the dark. Plus, I always have my phone on hand so I can shine a bit of light on it.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have the polar loop but use a separate polar FT7 for HRM. I'm still trying to "use" my polar loop. all i look at is activaty and the time. I need to learn how to use it. btw it charges to 100% with-in 30min.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    one of each...doesn't really help me decide..

anyone have any negatives of either?
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I bought the Loop last weekend and LOVE it. Been wearing it since Sunday afternoon and just had to charge it this morning after working out. I think one of my favorite things about it is the fact that it's water proof. Don't have to take it off to shower or swim, or worry about it getting wet if you run or bike outside in the rain. I use it in conjuntion with my H7 HRM (which I previously had).

I love this thing. I've previously used the Body Media Fit Link armband too, this is way better.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    Check out the reviews for both at dcrainmaker.com, very in-depth. I researched both at went with the Vivo for my needs but your needs will be different. I think the main difference with be the software and what you want to do with the data.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with that Garmin model but I have the Loop. In the beginning I was not a fan but now I like it. I think most of the glitches they had with early release have been worked out. I have worn my five days without charging with no problem. I don't link it to my phone at all so I can't speak to that. I wear it 24/7 and when I workout I add the HRM. I do wish it displayed my calories burned during after my workout but I have to get on line to see that breakdown or either mentally make a note of what my calories are at before I link the HRM, which I never remember to do. When it initially came out I thought DC Rainmaker and other bloggers must have been getting them for free because they left out a lot of the negatives that I along with other users were experiencing.

I used to wear a regular Polar HRM that I have since retired it because of the Loop. The user interface could still be better but overall I am happy and I wish it did vibrate alerts for inactivity but overall I am happy.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I am toying with the idea of getting the HRM for the polar loop and retiring my FT7. but I would have to sync everytime I do any exercise. still debating this.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I am toying with the idea of getting the HRM for the polar loop and retiring my FT7. but I would have to sync everytime I do any exercise. still debating this.

Well, the syncing consist of putting on the chest strap and hitting the button on the wrist unit until the heart appears showing your heart rate so like seconds basically.
  • bbsdrtv
    bbsdrtv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bought the polar loop and returned it. I did like it. But the things I didn't like was it had to be charged.... You couldn't sync it with Android... And the biggest thing I didn't like was you have to cut the band to your size.... So if you gain weight you're screwed.... I bought the vivofit last week.... And I love it. Syncs with Android no problem.... Never needs to be charged.... Can change the band's to different colors... Easy to scroll through the screen.... Another problem that I didn't like with the polar... It has to be touching your wrist just right when you press the button.... Otherwise it will not activate your screen with the press.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at the Vivofit online & did a search to see if anyone here was talking about it. I currently have a Garmin Forerunner 210 with HRM strap and I wear a Fitbit Flex. I like my Flex, but I have to charge it every 4 days so the one-year battery life on the Vivoflex is appealing.
  • arijaycomet
    Options
    My thoughts on the Garmin vs Fitbit:
    http://arijaycomet.com/2014/03/13/battle-garmin-vivofit-vs-fitbit-force-vs-fitbit-flex/

If you really want a device that works with HRM (read: not Fitbit) then the Garmin is better. However, I care too much about MFP integration. If they eventually get the Garmin to work with MFP then I'd consider one for sure!
  • numsquat
    Options
    If they eventually get the Garmin to work with MFP then I'd consider one for sure!

Rumors (from quality sources) are that several larger fitness/health sites (including MFP) will have integration with Garmin by the end of the month to mid-April. Garmin holding their API has always been the problem but they are opening it up for a $5000 fee which will block out the small players.

The other issue with Gamin/Vivofit is their own device integration with their Connect software. Right now if you use the Vivofit and another Garmin device at the same time (like a GPS watch w/HRM on a run), the data from that event is "doubled". This is supposed to be fixed with the next Connect update (again in the "next 30 day" time frame) where the non-Vivofit data will override the Vivofit data during that event. I've gone back to using my old Timex Run Trainer with my Vivofit for now until this is solved.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    Had both and now only have the Vivofit so I guess that tells you how I would vote. Loop was not ready for release, had issues in almost all areas. A lot of those are now fixed though. I also had problems with the chest strap sending a correct signal to gym equipment after battery life dropped just slightly. The Loop website is very poor for the information from the Loop. The Vivofit worked great right out of the box but I had some problems with it working with an existing HR strap I had, Customer service worked with me and determined it was a faulty sending unit and sent me a new strap and sensor free. Just the difference in customer service would make me go with Garmin. With the new strap it paired and worked flawlessly. I cannot speak more highly of this product but that may also be partially due to the pains with the Loop. It is a touch more conservative than my Bodymedia Fit for calorie burn but when it synces with MFP I will go with the numbers it produces.
  • matchpoint312
    matchpoint312 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    :love: Vivofit! I had a fitbit flex but need to track HR for maximum benefit and the vivofit works great with my Garmin HR monitor. I am sure they will synch to MFP soon..because MFP has such a strong following, they'd be silly not to. IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT HR TRACKING, this is a great device. It calculates your HR based on age and when you're working out, it's easy to read and know which zone you're in. This is HR tracking simplified.

Beware if you have an older Macbook Pro O/S. I had 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and Garmin Connect (the software you need to synch your device) didn't work. I spent several hours doing the upgrade (free download from Apple store) to Maverick but needed to do it anyhow and this motivated me. The vivofit paired/synched like a dream.

I was a little concerned about the size of vivofit but it's super comfy and not much bigger than the flex and probably the same size as force. The only thing I miss is the vibrating alarm clock on the fitbit...but I can live without that.
  • shondimuir
    shondimuir Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info! My hubby bought a Garmin Vivo today, we both have Fitbit Flexes and I previously had a Force until the recall. I also have a Polar FT7 HRM and so I was trying to decide between the Vivo and the Polar Loop. I also use the Garmin Bike computer so the Vivo for me makes sense, esp with all the great reviews.
  • Tribonian
    Tribonian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree that dcrainmaker is the place to go for comparing the two. I bought my wife the Vivofit and she loves it. Lighting has not been an issue. Both are waterproofed.

To my mind not having to recharge was a big factor but the feature my wife seems to like most is the inactivity alert. Gave the Loop seiours consideration, though. Pretty sure you'd be happy with either.
  • Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    This forum was a great help, I am also trying to decide between the two.

Any more word on Garmin and MFP??
  • KiniWoman
    KiniWoman Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if the Vivofit is compatible with Polar's H7 strap?

Thanks!
  • numsquat
    Options
    Does anyone know if the Vivofit is compatible with Polar's H7 strap?

No. Polar uses Bluetooth, Garmin ANT+ technology.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at the Vivofit online & did a search to see if anyone here was talking about it. I currently have a Garmin Forerunner 210 with HRM strap and I wear a Fitbit Flex. I like my Flex, but I have to charge it every 4 days so the one-year battery life on the Vivoflex is appealing.

With the vivofit, you can use your FR210's HR strap, so one less thing to buy ;)