5'6 ladies who've lost over 50 lbs?

Options
lablamires
lablamires Posts: 83 Member
Hi, I'm 5'6, started at 240, and I'm currently 224. My goal is anywhere between 140-160, depending on how I feel when I get there.
Can any 5'6 ladies with similar starting and ending points share their success stories/pictures, or even progress, for some motivation/inspiration? Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Feel free to share how you lost the weight as well :)

Replies

• lablamires
    Options
    bump
  • lablamires
    Options
    bump
  • R_Woodruff
    R_Woodruff Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and started out at 260 lbs currently at 207 lbs. Feel free to add me if you'd like, my diary is always open!

Edited because my stupid computer only let me write I'm 5'6" haha
  • karinajean2388
    karinajean2388 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", started at 221 and am currently at 149. I'll be back later....silly work is making me work right as I saw this message, but wanted to remember to come back to it. So, to be continued... :smile:
  • lablamires
    Options
    thanks!
  • lablamires
    Options
    I'm 5'6", started at 221 and am currently at 149. I'll be back later....silly work is making me work right as I saw this message, but wanted to remember to come back to it. So, to be continued... :smile:
    cant wait! :)
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and started at 260, down to 170. Feel free to add me as a friend. I log regular and my diary is open. I started with Leslie Sansones Walk Away the Pounds(You can find them some on YouTube) and it just took off from there.
  • ViciousLady
    ViciousLady Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know u wanted 5 6 ppl but I'm 5'5'' and and I also am intrigued with ppl around my starting weight and height so see how their progress was... So even tho I'm not the height ur looking for we may have a bit in a common... My start weight was 238 and I finally broke out of the 90's today (190's) lol as of this morning I was at 189.2!!! Lost about 3.1 lbs this week.. I walk atleast 3 miles a day since it's been nice out and I have a smoothie for breakfast and dinner and basically have my dinner at lunch and counting my cals of course Which def works for me !!! This was Something new I'm trying as far as my diet! Needed a boost!! I used to be in the gym all the time which is how I lost my weight and counting my cals. the last couple months I had been over it and I wasn't doing much and def not counting my cals! Honestly I still feel big! Hate my hips thighs never had them before then I got pregnant lol! Idk how long it will be till I'm comfortable in my skin again but the weight I lost took 2 years it's slow but there were bumps in the road and also I can I haven't gained any of it back even when I was feeling down on myself! In the end it will pay off and that 140 is looking mighty nice! I wanna be 138 just to say I lost 100 lbs lol!! ;)
  • tiona83
    tiona83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Im about 5'6 started at 233 pounds and used weight watchers. My advice is to keep track of everything that enters your mouth. I found it easy to make mistakes while tracking my calories when eating out so I tried to over estimate if I was unsure. Be honest with yourself. Ok so maybe Im the only one that struggled some days with this.

I tried a lot of new things in the way of exercise to find what I liked. I always liked walking but my new found love of Palates is something I wish I discovered sooner in my life. I have always loved walking and have done a bit of running in the past.

Don't try to loose unrealistic amount of weight within a unreasonable time frame. It took me about a year and a half to loose 75 pounds. Your going to want to maintain one day so work your way to that point. Don't cut out everything you love just control your portion of it. I just ate two ores's while writing this and I will track them just like any other food. But I have also learned to savor every bite and take my time. Take each day as its own because we all have bad days but you can always start over the next day.

Best of luck.
  • sushidulces
    sushidulces Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on your progress thus far :)

I forgot how to post pics, but there is one on my profile page. I weighed about 170 throughout high school, so I was a little on the thick side, but not super overweight. When I got to be about 19, I started piling on the weight. By 21, I was 225. I stayed that way for a good while, probably until I was about 24. To be honest, I think I lost my first couple of pounds just from being a poor college kid that could not afford to eat out a lot, as I had moved out on my own. But the real difference came when I stopped drinking soda. I lost a noticeable 10 lbs. I started walking around more on campus and sometimes walking around the neighborhood and soon I got to 200. I stayed at 200-195 until I was about 26 and I started really thinking about not eating so much fast food and in large quantities. I started a vegetarian way of eating. I also started trying to workout at least 2 times a week. I did that starting the summer of '12. Just a subtle change, really. I still ate cheese pizza, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, etc. I did implement more veggies though. By summer of 2013 I was down to 186ish. I implemented more exercise but still ate pretty badly. Sweets were my weakness. I still ate pizza often. I got to about 175 with the extra exercise. I started logging a little more often, but I was doing the 1200 cal, super high carb diet that My Fitness Pal gave me.

Winter of 2013, more specifically around Christmas, I started following random people that had great weight loss success on Instagram. There I learned about IIFYM (If it fits your macros) and learning about TDEE (how many cals my body expends on its own if I were to lay in bed all day). I started eating meat for protein again, lowered my carbs and practically vanished any white carbs. Upped my fiber to the recommended 30-40 g a day and upped my fat. Since then I have gotten down to 161. During Easter weekend, I slipped up an awful lot and haven't exercised much so I am back at 165. But that's pretty much my story. I am hoping to get to 155 before I get pregnant, so if I gain the expected 25, I will be at a weight that I believe I can still work with and not feel overwhelmed again.

One thing I do find helpful is meal planning the day before. I spend about 20 minutes a night before bed logging what I expect to eat the next day. I make sure it fits my cals, protein, fat, and carbs. I try not to stray from it too much.
  • lablamires
    Options
    First off, congrats on your progress thus far :)

I forgot how to post pics, but there is one on my profile page. I weighed about 170 throughout high school, so I was a little on the thick side, but not super overweight. When I got to be about 19, I started piling on the weight. By 21, I was 225. I stayed that way for a good while, probably until I was about 24. To be honest, I think I lost my first couple of pounds just from being a poor college kid that could not afford to eat out a lot, as I had moved out on my own. But the real difference came when I stopped drinking soda. I lost a noticeable 10 lbs. I started walking around more on campus and sometimes walking around the neighborhood and soon I got to 200. I stayed at 200-195 until I was about 26 and I started really thinking about not eating so much fast food and in large quantities. I started a vegetarian way of eating. I also started trying to workout at least 2 times a week. I did that starting the summer of '12. Just a subtle change, really. I still ate cheese pizza, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, etc. I did implement more veggies though. By summer of 2013 I was down to 186ish. I implemented more exercise but still ate pretty badly. Sweets were my weakness. I still ate pizza often. I got to about 175 with the extra exercise. I started logging a little more often, but I was doing the 1200 cal, super high carb diet that My Fitness Pal gave me.

Winter of 2013, more specifically around Christmas, I started following random people that had great weight loss success on Instagram. There I learned about IIFYM (If it fits your macros) and learning about TDEE (how many cals my body expends on its own if I were to lay in bed all day). I started eating meat for protein again, lowered my carbs and practically vanished any white carbs. Upped my fiber to the recommended 30-40 g a day and upped my fat. Since then I have gotten down to 161. During Easter weekend, I slipped up an awful lot and haven't exercised much so I am back at 165. But that's pretty much my story. I am hoping to get to 155 before I get pregnant, so if I gain the expected 25, I will be at a weight that I believe I can still work with and not feel overwhelmed again.

One thing I do find helpful is meal planning the day before. I spend about 20 minutes a night before bed logging what I expect to eat the next day. I make sure it fits my cals, protein, fat, and carbs. I try not to stray from it too much.

Thank you for your story :) congratulations on your success.
    I would like to learn more about TDEE and IIFYM.... Where would you suggest I look at/read to learn more?
  • lablamires
    Options
    thank you everyone, you guys are amazing.
    I'm actually closer to 5'5.5 than 5'6 so anyone within the 5'5/5'6 range works :)
  • JodieSmith15
    JodieSmith15 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    [ img ] http://imgur.com/ynSNvkV [ /img]

Just shy of a 60 pound difference. The first forty pounds was lost over two years, the last twenty since february 3rd.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6. Started in January at 235 and today weighed in at 194! I am on a low carb and 1500 calorie diet.
  • JodieSmith15
    JodieSmith15 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just shy of a 60 pound difference. The first forty pounds was lost over two years, the last twenty since february 3rd.
    [/quote]

woopsies.

photo3_zpsce0a4c0a.jpg
  • OliverTheSweet
    Options
    I'm 5.5 and am also intereated in all these amazing stories! I gave birth to a surrogate baby for my Aunt on Feb 5th at 248lbs.i am now 208. I'm looking to get to 150 lbs!
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Congrats so far on your loss!

I am 5'6 and I started at 222 and am now at 175. I would still like to lose another 35lbs. Feel free to add me as a friend! We can share some tips and encouragement!

Before:
    20576204_2087.jpg

Current:
    20576204_8301.jpg
  • bobobolobo
    bobobolobo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's great thanks for sharing
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm 5'6" and started in January 2013 at 235 pounds. I currently weigh 162 pounds, but my goal weight (for now) is 150. I lost 60 pounds in 2013 by simply eating at a moderate calorie deficit (enough to lose about a pound a week after the first couple months) and doing exercises that I liked. I do some kind of workout 3-5 days a week. I log what I eat every single day (476 days so far!), and I log my food as accurately as possible, which includes using a food scale when I'm at home, researching menu options when I go out to eat, and keeping my portions reasonable when I'm at a party or family gathering.

In 2013, I did lots of Jillian Michaels circuit training DVDs, dabbled in running, walked my dogs often, and did a lot of bike riding in the summer. In January 2014, I started running and lifting heavy 3 times a week. I try to follow the IIFYM approach to eating. I eat the foods I like with my protein, fat, and carb requirements in mind, and I usually leave room in my day for some kind of treat. I have not eliminated anything from my diet and still enjoy all the same foods I ate before, but now I pay close attention to portion sizes and aim for a balanced and moderate way of eating. My diary is open if you want to have a look.

It's been a long road to get to this point, and I have a lot of work ahead of me, but it has been the most rewarding experience of my life. :smile:

picisto-20140425191127-526697.jpg

I don't know how to resize that, but there are more photos on my profile.
  • karinajean2388
    karinajean2388 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Alright, I'm back!

Let's see. As I said before, I am 5'6" and started at 221 lbs. I originally set my goal back in January 2013. I was really inconsistent and gained/lost the same 15 lbs. or so. In June, I found my motivation by having my heart completely broken. I stopped eating and unhealthily lost about 12 lbs. Once I started eating again, I managed to keep it off and got under 200 by early July. I joined MFP in early September and weighed 198 at that time. This is when I really got serious about weight loss. I cut out fast food, eating out, and alcohol for the most part. Between September and March, I logged my food everyday and gradually increased from about 1000 to 1500 calories. I did a couple of 30-day fitness challenges in the beginning to try and get myself to exercise more (I have a desk job and was otherwise pretty sedentary). In January, I started going to a cardio, circuit, and strength fitness class twice weekly. I hit my original goal weight of 154 on 3/14/14.

At this point, I weigh 149 and am no longer as focused on weight loss. I am in my 5th week of training for a half marathon. I am still attending my twice weekly fitness class and run four times a week on top of that. I'll be adding a 5th running day in a couple of weeks. My calories are set around 1700, but I may eat 2000-2500 on running days. I am still not entirely happy with how I look (namely, my stomach), but I am hoping that in time, with my increased exercise, I will feel better about my body.

(I have a few pictures in my profile, but haven't been super consistent in documenting progress)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!