Just Quit Smoking -Advice

Options

Replies

• FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Part of the "relaxing" feeling you get with smoking is because of the deep breathing. I found doing yoga and drinking green tea when I first came off ciggies to be a huge help. Definitely expect the urge to creep up on you unexpectedly :) but if you can go for five minutes ya usualky end up forgetting about it. I also used champix(not sure what its called in usa) and was really successful with it, it basically crushed the physical cravings.
    Good luck and congrats on the good decision :)
  • jjoh553028
    jjoh553028 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I quite smoking may 2013 using the e cig. This was after 30 years of smoking. I have not had a cigarette since. I am not sure if they are good or bad for you but they have to be way better than cigarettes. I am also cutting back on the nicotine and don't smoke them near as much as I chained smoked cigarettes.
    there are so many haters out there that it scares me. I know that the best way would be to quit totally but it just didn't work for me.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 379 Member
    Options

7. Don't try e-cigarettes. You'll just look like a douche. History will prove me right.

This is the worst piece of advice ever. E-cigs DO help people. Why does it matter how they look? 3 members of my family successfully quit smoking with help from an e-cig. They have since quit the e-cig as well. You can also lower the amount of nicotine in the e-cig over time in order to wean yourself off of the nicotine. Nothing wrong with using one to assist you, especially in the first couple of months into quitting.

I couldn't agree with you more. Three family members have quit using e-cigs, and no longer use the e-cigs. I quit in 1994, and tried one cigarette once in 2012, when my mom was dying. It tasted disgusting, and I have no desire to smoke. Quitting did cause temporary weight gain, for me, because food tastes better when your taste buds aren't clogged up with tar.
  • Monty_P
    Monty_P Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I have literally just put on my first nicotine patch! I'm worried about unwanted weight gain so to try and combat any snacking etc, I've pre-packed my lunch, not brought any money with me to work and bought a load of healthy-ish stuff for my dinners.

I've quit a few times before (!) and the best thing for me was using patches. Oh, and avoiding situations where I end up smoking like a demon (drinking).... that's what got me started again last time. 'Oh, I'll just have one, I won't remember it in the morning.' 'Oh, I'll just smoke when I'm drinking.' And then I'm a smoker again. :noway:
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! I quit 4 years ago with Chantix. I had no adverse effects. Best decision I've ever made. Not a day goes by that I'm not thankful for quitting. I find it hard to believe that I ever smoked! Keep it up. You won't regret it.
  • brittany2188
    Options
    Congrats!

I quit cold turkey 8 months ago. I have smoked a few cigarettes in that 8 months (when drinking) but never wanted to go back to smoking full time. Don't get me wrong... I still love smoking. I love the smell. I love the taste. I just know that it's not good for me so I won't do it. Just remember, what works for some may or may not work for you. Keep up the good work!
  • mad_lifting_runner
    mad_lifting_runner Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used Allen Carr's book:

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615482155

...and it worked amazingly well!

Be careful with replacement therapy (patches, ecigs, gum, etc) as you're simply addicted to nicotine, not addicted to "smoking". Any form of delivery of nicotine is just going to keep you addicted...and when you run out of patches or whatever with cigs being the easiest thing in the world to get...you see where this is going.

I'm not saying they DON'T work for some people. I'm just saying make sure your mind's in the right place because as long as your body is jonesing for nicotine, you'll always try to get it. Better to be free and clear of that.
  • fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking on Dec 31 2013 ... I used an e-cigarette for the the month of JAN ... after that I didn't need it at all ... it made my workouts much easier... summer will be my real test ( I used to smoke a lot in summer time)
  • asideofarmao
    asideofarmao Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking (for the second time) 29 days ago, and it sounds silly, but I read this book, called 'Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking', and something just clicked. It isn't preachy, or anything that I didn't already know, but just how it is written, made me understand why I was a smoker, and helped me figure out how to stop. Literally went cold turkey, suffered minimally for about 3 days, and now I really hardly have any cravings.

Best wished to you, you can absolutely do this!
  • Spirittina
    Options
    Hello! Long time lurker/user, first time posting.

I am looking for advice because I have JUST (this week) quit smoking. I am not even close to referring to myself as an ex-smoker yet but I am hopeful and feeling good about it.

I did want to see if anyone had any advice for me. I was logging before anyway, but I'm making sure to be extra precise as I don't want to replace cigarettes with snacks. I'm also concerned about how my metabolism may change.

Even when I smoke I still exercise on a regular basis (running combined with home work outs like calisthenics and lifting) so I'm hoping this change will only improve my stamina and overall fitness but I've heard quitting can have adverse effects initially.

Does anyone have any experience in this area that they can impart? I would be very grateful. :smile:
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

I smoked about 16 years. I have not smoked in 13 years. There were no adverse side affects of quitting. No one has ever died as a direct result of NOT smoking. However, I am sure someone will want to argue that fact. here are my suggestions.

1. Avoid other smokers as much as possible.
    2. Avoid alcohol.
    3. Avoid carbs for a few weeks.
    4. Avoid fatty foods for a few weeks.
    5. Increase your exercise for a few weeks.
    6. Expect the urge to smoke to creep up periodically and unexpectedly for years.
    7. Don't try e-cigarettes. You'll just look like a douche. History will prove me right.

Edit to add congratulations.

I agree with everything here :)

I gave up smoking more then a year ago now it was hard but i went cold turkey! best thing i have ever done in my life....you can do it i found orange juice helped with the cravings (fresh orange juice of course) also dont be down on yourself if u give into the craving sometimes it makes u see why ur giving up i successfully gave up on the 5th try :)

Congrats! and stay strong it is possible to be the ex smoker! :)
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Get pregnant :wink:

After several attempts to quit, that was pretty much the only thing that worked for me!! I did it cold turkey, which was awful, but it was probably the only time I really did want to quit.

Hope it goes ok, you'll feel so much better.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting! I finally quit 5 years ago after smoking for 25 years and I have never regretted it.

So what to do? I've seen tons of advice here. Some really good and some I would say was questionable. So the best thing I can recommend is this: Look at it as if you are starting exercising. It's a lifestyle change.

What do I mean? I'm glad you asked! You have to change your behavior. 90% of smoking is the mental addiction. The physical part is gone after 72 hours (or so the experts say). So those recommending E-Cigs? Fahhgeddaboutit. It's still perpetuating the behavior. As dirty as it may sound, it's feeding that oral gratification (man, that does sound dirty doesn't it?).

Keep your mind busy, that is what worked for me. Come up with new projects, try to learn something new (a language, a hobby whatever). With exercise you always want to make time for it. Well, make your life so busy you DON'T have time for smoking.

As it's been said, keep away from the smokers. They will be your downfall. Treat that cigarette as an alcoholic would a drink. You can't just have one. I quit numerous times and after a month or so I told myself "Oh one won't hurt". Guess what? It did. After five years, I still will refuse to have that one.

Oh and last thing: Don't get pregnant! If you want to get pregnant that's fine but don't do it to quit smoking. I've never understood that logic. 18 years of responsibility and it's still not a guarantee you'll quit for good! Hell, my kids are the reason I drink, so I can see how they'd make you smoke too!

If you feel the need to snack, then make it a healthy or somewhat healthy snack. I cannot stress the exercise aspect enough. Once you see how good it's doing your body you'll find a new addiction! Good luck!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting! I finally quit 5 years ago after smoking for 25 years and I have never regretted it.

So what to do? I've seen tons of advice here. Some really good and some I would say was questionable. So the best thing I can recommend is this: Look at it as if you are starting exercising. It's a lifestyle change.

What do I mean? I'm glad you asked! You have to change your behavior. 90% of smoking is the mental addiction. The physical part is gone after 72 hours (or so the experts say). So those recommending E-Cigs? Fahhgeddaboutit. It's still perpetuating the behavior. As dirty as it may sound, it's feeding that oral gratification (man, that does sound dirty doesn't it?).

Keep your mind busy, that is what worked for me. Come up with new projects, try to learn something new (a language, a hobby whatever). With exercise you always want to make time for it. Well, make your life so busy you DON'T have time for smoking.

As it's been said, keep away from the smokers. The will be your downfall. Treat that cigarette as an acoholic would a drink. You can't just have one. I quit numerous times and after a month or so I told myself "Oh one won't hurt". Guess what? It did. After five years, I still will refuse to have that one.

Oh and last thing: Don't get pregnant! If you want to get pregnant that's fine but don't do it to quit smoking. I've never understood that logic. 18 years of responsibility and it's still not a guarantee you'll quit for good! Hell, my kids are the reason I drink, so I can see how they'd make you smoke too!

If you feel the need to snack, then make it a healthy or somewhat healthy snack. I cannot stress the exercise aspect enough. Once you see how good it's doing your body you'll find a new addiction! Good luck!

I was joking :laugh:

8 years later it still takes willpower not to look like this some evenings once I've wrestled him into bed:

105s7eh.jpg

One (real) tip I'd have is to cut down on alcohol for the first couple of months. I'd find it really hard to resist after a couple of drinks. I don't know where you're from, but it got much easier once they banned smoking in pubs and bars here. You have to go outside to the soggy patio heater of shame now.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Hello! Long time lurker/user, first time posting.

I am looking for advice because I have JUST (this week) quit smoking. I am not even close to referring to myself as an ex-smoker yet but I am hopeful and feeling good about it.

I did want to see if anyone had any advice for me. I was logging before anyway, but I'm making sure to be extra precise as I don't want to replace cigarettes with snacks. I'm also concerned about how my metabolism may change.

Even when I smoke I still exercise on a regular basis (running combined with home work outs like calisthenics and lifting) so I'm hoping this change will only improve my stamina and overall fitness but I've heard quitting can have adverse effects initially.

Does anyone have any experience in this area that they can impart? I would be very grateful. :smile:

I smoked about 16 years. I have not smoked in 13 years. There were no adverse side affects of quitting. No one has ever died as a direct result of NOT smoking. However, I am sure someone will want to argue that fact. here are my suggestions.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

1. Avoid other smokers as much as possible.
    2. Avoid alcohol.
    3. Avoid carbs for a few weeks.
    4. Avoid fatty foods for a few weeks.
    5. Increase your exercise for a few weeks.
    6. Expect the urge to smoke to creep up periodically and unexpectedly for years.
    7. Don't try e-cigarettes. You'll just look like a douche.

While I agree for the most part the douche comment was a little unnecessary. If it wasn't for the e cig I'd probably still be smoking and if I look like a douche, so be it.

Ecigs are amazing! I smoked for 27 years and the only way I could quit successfully was with the ecig.

I would rather "look like a douche" than die of emphysema!

One thing that I do want to say is that it takes a few days to get used to only having the nicotine in an ecig since there are dozens of extra additives in cigs that make them addicted to our particular brand. So our bodies go through a little bit of detoxing when starting. It took me about 3 days to get happy with my ecig, after that, I could never imagine going back to traditional cigs and do not know why people still smoke those horrid things.

I also used Bee Pollen to stop my urge to eat. It worked.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options

As it's been said, keep away from the smokers. The will be your downfall. Treat that cigarette as an acoholic would a drink. You can't just have one. I quit numerous times and after a month or so I told myself "Oh one won't hurt". Guess what? It did. After five years, I still will refuse to have that one.

I was joking :laugh:

8 years later it still takes willpower not to look like this some evenings once I've wrestled him into bed:

105s7eh.jpg

One (real) tip I'd have is to cut down on alcohol for the first couple of months. I'd find it really hard to resist after a couple of drinks. I don't know where you're from, but it got much easier once they banned smoking in pubs and bars here. You have to go outside to the soggy patio heater of shame now.

I was hoping you were, but after spending a career in the military it wasn't an uncommon site for some women to get pregnant so they'd miss a deployment. So you nevah can be sure!!

But I'll second that alcohol advice. That was always the hardest for me. If I had a bottle in my hand (or for you more refined people, a glass of wine), I had to have a cig. I don't think I drank for at least a few months after I quit until I could "handle" it. This was advantageous on two parts. First, I knew when I had a drink I wouldn't get that overwhelming urge to smoke and secondly, my tolerance went WAAAY down, so I was a cheap date for at least a weekend! I've always been easy, just never cheap! Now, I can get drunk and leave my self respect at home with no problems!
  • editorkim
    editorkim Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I quit just over 5 years ago! You CAN do this. Some tricks I used were to carry a pencil behind my ear at all times so that when I had the urge to smoke, I could hold the pencil between my fingers long enough for the urge to pass. Believe it or not, a lot of the urge to smoke is strictly habit of having that cigarette between those fingers. So hold a pencil. I also used candy canes for the oral aspect of the cravings, and they are just the right size, but probably hard to find this time of year (I quit at New Year's, so I bought a bunch on clearance.) Also, and as silly as it seems, when I was REALLY desperate, I "puffed" on a straw. It seems strange, but the resistance is similar and it really did help me through some cravings. Once you get past the first couple of weeks or month, your energy will improve. I noticed I felt so much better as I woke up in the mornings that it really helped keep me going.

I also kept a tally of the money I saved each day and set a goal--at six months, I would have saved enough money to paint my car or take a vacation, so that was my goal. It helped keep me motivated to see the actual number of dollars saved. A pack of day at that time meant I saved over a thousand dollars the first year!! But, I ended up selling the car and my husband was too busy for a vacation that year, so I got my teeth whitened professionally (fitted with trays that I still use once a year) as my reward for not smoking for six months!! It made such a huge difference, and it felt awesome to reward myself and undo all that damage!

EDITED TO ADD: After reading some of the other comments, I have to agree that your energy and stamina will improve so much that it will help motivate you. It's the first couple of weeks that were truly difficult, so finding something to stick in your hands and mouth during the cravings might really help until you start to see those results. it did me! Good luck!
  • karmabear06
    karmabear06 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you for quitting smoking. I have to say though that nicotine patches, gum, lozenges, spray, e-cigs, pills, and potions didn't work for me. I smoked for over 20 years and tried SEVERAL times but nothing worked long term. I downloaded an app Cessation Nation and set up my quit date and FAILED to quit once again by 1/1/13. I woke up one morning in Aug 2013 and just never smoked again. I did it cold turkey SUCCESSFULLY this time and have never felt better & I still use my app to see how far I've come. I am a recovering addict of nicotine and I treat my addiction to nicotine just as seriously as any other addict (AA, NA, SA, etc). My mind was finally in the right place that morning and I've never looked back. I agree with others who say to avoid certain triggers until you feel comfortable to be around your triggers. One of the negative side effects I've had as a result of quitting is I get migraines when I'm around smokers. I have more free time though, I don't stink, I don't get winded when I exercise, I can smell the flowers, I am less stressed, my blood pressure has lowered. I didn't use anything to replace the hand to mouth habit. I replaced my boredom with exercise and found a new hobby that keeps me busy. I began competing with myself to see how many days I could go and I relied on my non smoker friends and family to get me through the cravings and withdraws. I wish you luck but in my past my unsuccessful attempts were directly related to my triggers and alcohol was #1 and #2 was friends/relatives/co-workers that smoked. I haven't made it to 1 year yet but I KNOW that this is the very last time I will ever have to quit.
  • MaxJAshmore
    Options
    6 months in and still smoke free :D
    and a bonus to say I am now conquering the weight gain and have lost over 1/2 a stone (lost 3 before I joined here)

Being on here and using a fit bit has worked wonders for me :)
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Lots of recommendations in this thread about e-cigs.

I successful quit many years ago before e-cigs were available. If they had them back when, I probably would have used them. Would I be completely off nicotine now if I had? I get the feeling I probably would be an e-cig addict. Nicotine without the guilt?

I'm glad I did not have access to them. For me, the time was just right. I bought my last pack and just decided to stop when the pack ran out. My willpower was good, but there was a weak point here and there and I used some nicotine gum to as a last resort in order to gain control over the intense cravings that would pop up from time to time.

I probably used maybe 2 packs of that gum in the first two months of quitting. Then I didn't need that anymore either. The gum tasted bad and wasn't enough like smoking, unlike e-cigs, for it to become a replacement habit. What I liked about the gum as compared to the patch is that you only use it if you need it as a stop-gap. Otherwise you are getting your body and mind used to not having ANY nicotine in your blood stream. Having the absence of that drug is the only way to eventually make the break from that addiction.

A caution to the OP: you might get urges for up to an entire year to smoke. Don't give in to that. It will only take one cig to get back into that trap. Stay away from people that smoke or people you might be tempted to borrow a cig from too. Eventually you WILL have no urges or need for nicotine.
  • juliebean3
    Options
    How about this new lighter http://www.quitbitlighter.com/ ... It helps you quit without forming new addictions. What do you think? Could learning your patterns help you quit?