Stronglifts 5x5 - time it takes for recovery?

Options
I am finishing my 2nd week and so far I am enjoying the program, but it takes me 2 days to recover from each weightlifting session. Right now I am doing 30mins cardio/lifting, then taking 2 days off to recover. I would like to do some light cardio activity between lifting days but right now I find my muscles feel so fatigued I can't.

My last lifting day was Wednesday, I tried to go out for a walk yesterday and found my muscles (quads mostly) felt gassed after only a 10min walk. Today they feel even more sore than yesterday. Not painful, just sore and fatigued.

I guess my concern is I don't want to be put out of commission for so long that my cardio work is affected. I would like to work up to lifting every other day and walking in between days for a lighter workout. Should I try to progress towards this goal, or will I be overdoing it if I am still sore from lifting?

Replies

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I do it Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. I may be a little sore each time, but not enough to prevent me from working out or increasing weight (usually doing more squats gets rid of the DOMS from the previous workout). I highly suggest stretching and a foam roller if you're really sore.

ETA: A light jog also usually helps loosen up my tight leg muscles when they're sore from lifting.
  • graham713
    graham713 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also do it 3 days a week but I'm not usually sore for that long. Are you drinking enough water and taking in enough calories especially protein?