Calorie deficit but putting on weight

Options
2»

Replies

• whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen a word in your posts that indicates how you determined that 2500 calories is your target... you said "RDA" and have mentioned only your age (not height/weight), which leads me to believe that you haven't actually calculated numbers for yourself. I'd suggest you start with this calculator and adjust your goals accordingly.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • Mar_11
    Mar_11 Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks, i think inactivity on days off might be to blame don't know about you but i sit at a desk for 6-8 hrs. Hoping this gym does the trick my silhouette mocks me every time the sun comes out. Thanks ill add you.

I work in a doctors office so my day is eight hours a day of just sitting.. maybe a few trips to fax/copy machine but not enough to justify exercise. I make "room" for beer by walking and stationary bike riding, either before or after work... Occasionally, while at work, as I sometimes walk on my lunch break.
  • ddarddunn
    ddarddunn Posts: 13
    Options
    I did it right. Im 5ft 9 92 kilos and i use a scales to weigh everything. Do you know would inactivity on days off slow your metabolism to where it would lower the recommended calorie intake 2500 in my case? I sit for 6-8 hrs during the day at a desk and then evenings am not really active for 4 days a week all of last year pretty much?
  • ddarddunn
    Options
    For my height weight 2500 is reccommended and with the beer (miller 53 cals) im still way below usually around 2000.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure

This is how many calories you are actually "burning" during the whole day. There are lots of online calculators that can get you close, but the only way to know for sure is by logging accurately, charting your weight change and doing the math.

If you gained a stone in a year, that means you gained a little over a pound every month, or maybe 0.3 pounds a week, so you're eating (on average) about 150 calories more than you need per day (to maintain).

I would just use the MyFitnessPal recommendations for a month or two and then make adjustments as necessary.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    For my height weight 2500 is reccommended and with the beer (miller 53 cals) im still way below usually around 2000.

I have lost just short of 3 stone and drink every weekend mate, you can lose weight and drink beer for sure
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I put your stats in here:

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

I selected "no exercise" because you're not really burning much more standing up than you are sitting down, and it guesses you're burning around 2200 per day, so if you eat 2500 you would gain weight.

I'm about your weight, and I'm losing on 2100 per day (I also chase a toddler around and pick him up from time to time, I garden for fun and my job is a little bit physical).
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I put your stats in here:

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

I selected "no exercise" because you're not really burning much more standing up than you are sitting down, and it guesses you're burning around 2200 per day, so if you eat 2500 you would gain weight.

I'm about your weight, and I'm losing on 2100 per day (I also chase a toddler around and pick him up from time to time, I garden for fun and my job is a little bit physical).

This...

If you are gaining, you aren't in a deficit, as someone else said.

It's about moderation not deprivation.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would cut back on the beer. It's empty calories. You'd be surprised how much weight you'll lose just by cutting it out (except on special occasions, of course social drinking is fine... maybe on Friday or Saturday nights have a beer or two but the rest of the week avoid as much as possible). The "beer belly" will slowly disappear. This happened to someone I know. He used to drink a lot and his belly looked like he could have been several months pregnant. He didn't actually eat very much food and the rest of him was pretty skinny but his belly was huge. But when he stopped drinking the belly disappeared. Beer = belly bloating.

If you are under your calorie count I would suggest adding in more healthy snacks. Don't use up your calorie allotment on junk food (sugar/salt) or on beer/soda (not nutritious). Not enough sugar can cause a plateau and too much sugar will cause your body to release a ton of insulin and start storing fat.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I would cut back on the beer. It's empty calories. You'd be surprised how much weight you'll lose just by cutting it out (except on special occasions, of course social drinking is fine... maybe on Friday or Saturday nights have a beer or two but the rest of the week avoid as much as possible). The "beer belly" will slowly disappear. This happened to someone I know. He used to drink a lot and his belly looked like he could have been several months pregnant. He didn't actually eat very much food and the rest of him was pretty skinny but his belly was huge. But when he stopped drinking the belly disappeared. Beer = belly bloating.

If you are under your calorie count I would suggest adding in more healthy snacks. Don't use up your calorie allotment on junk food (sugar/salt) or on beer/soda (not nutritious). Not enough sugar can cause a plateau and too much sugar will cause your body to release a ton of insulin and start storing fat.

Beer is ace don't talk nonsense
  • ddarddunn
    Options
    Thanks, i hardly eat sugar. probably 3-4 tsp a day. is that too little and why.