Curried kidney beans

Options
Leaping_Lemur
Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
I used to make this dish in college a lot, then dusted it off every couple of years. I haven't made it in ages. I whipped it up the other night and couldn't believe how full I felt. I ate half for dinner, the other half for lunch, and for the first time since joining MFP 11 weeks before I had no desire for an afternoon snack -- this kept me full until dinner time. Here is it:

1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3 Tbs tomato paste
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
curry powder (to taste)
water (enough to keep the tomato paste from drying out while cooking the onion)

I just throw the onion, garlic, tomato paste and water onto a skillet, and let them simmer over medium heat a bit (adding more water if necessary) until the onion looks done. Then I add the curry powder and the kidney beans. It's very easy and very filling!

Here are the nutritional stats (from MFP's recipe calculator):

cal fat protein fiber
Total 468 0 31 32

If you make two servings from it, just divide those numbers in half. Honestly some people could probably get three servings out of it.

Serve it over about 100 cal of boiled potatoes or rice and you've got a complete meal! (Did I mention it was filling? And tastes great!

Replies

• babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I used to make this dish in college a lot, then dusted it off every couple of years. I haven't made it in ages. I whipped it up the other night and couldn't believe how full I felt. I ate half for dinner, the other half for lunch, and for the first time since joining MFP 11 weeks before I had no desire for an afternoon snack -- this kept me full until dinner time. Here is it:

1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    3 Tbs tomato paste
    1/2 onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    curry powder (to taste)
    water (enough to keep the tomato paste from drying out while cooking the onion)

I just throw the onion, garlic, tomato paste and water onto a skillet, and let them simmer over medium heat a bit (adding more water if necessary) until the onion looks done. Then I add the curry powder and the kidney beans. It's very easy and very filling!

Here are the nutritional stats (from MFP's recipe calculator):

cal fat protein fiber
    Total 468 0 31 32

If you make two servings from it, just divide those numbers in half. Honestly some people could probably get three servings out of it.

Serve it over about 100 cal of boiled potatoes or rice and you've got a complete meal! (Did I mention it was filling? And tastes great!
    Easy Breezy
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I love anything 'curry'.
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    This intrigues me enough that I do believe I will try it. Thanks!
  • krispy1982
    krispy1982 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I first read the title as 'cured kidney disease' and I was like waaaaat?

But I'm still glad I clicked! I love curry and I can't wait to try it!
  • back2happy2005
    back2happy2005 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump