Tired legs when running - any advice?

Options
I'm currently 28 days into a challenge to run 5km every single day for 50 days. Until a week ago, I was really starting to notice how much fitter I was getting since the start of the challenge - my pace had really improved and I was hitting a new PB almost every other day! In the last fews days however, I've been suffering with really tired legs - they feel so heavy and seem to be refusing to move quickly! Today I would even describe them as a being a bit wobbly and I had to walk it out for a few metres.

5km isn't a huge distance, but I'm not taking any rest days while doing this challenge, so I know that will be a contributing factor to the fatigue, but I just wondered if there is anything else I could be doing to help? Will RICE-ing help, maybe, or more protein in my diet perhaps?

Any advice welcome!

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine why anyone would encourage a new runner to run every day for 50 days. Of course your legs are sore, they need some rest. Watching your protein intake should help recovery but it's not everything. That said, I do know one individual who runs every day but he's been doing it for years, he does vary the pace/distance to some degree, and he's not eating at a calorie deficit either. Personally, I think that you're setting yourself up for an injury.
  • yallllah
    yallllah Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, the reason that your legs are wobbly is a quick fix.

Unfortunately, the fix is ending this (in my opinion, ill-advised) challenge.

I hope I don't come across too harshly, but it's that's simple. I've been surrounded by Boston Marathon Talk for the past six-months and every single person training around me agreed: at least one off day a week. And they were training to run much longer than our 5ks! :)

If you want to stick to the mileage goal at the least, I'd recommend replacing two 5ks in your week with 7.5k days (not consecutive). Then you can take an off day and still be hitting your mileage mark.

As for messing with your macros, it might give you more or less energy, but it won't give your legs what they seem to need: a break from running. Sorry! I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear...If anyone does have a miracle weed that replaces the need for recovery time, please let me know. (I'd like some.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    This is one of the reasons that these challenges can be often get rather silly....I mean they're a great way to get people to move, but most people who set these things up don't actually understand training and fitness, they just think they need to be working out all of the time.

I always tell people, the two most important days for me and my training and fitness are Wednesday and Sunday...because they are rest days. The body needs time to rest and repair itself. Exercise is great for you...it is also tremendously hard on the body and recovery is very important.

A new runner in particular shouldn't be running every day, even if it's just three miles. Even seasoned runners take rest days.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the concern guys, however I should add I'm not a new runner! I have been running on and off for about 3 years now and 5km is an easy distance for me, I guess it's just the cumulative effect of running every day that I'm not used to.
  • Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the 5x50 challenge? http://www.5x50.org

Unless you were running around 35 miles a week before starting I think the reason your legs are so tired is that you've tried to increase your activity levels too quickly and have given your body no rest days to adapt. If you are doing the above challenge and don't want to stop, I'd take a couple of days to do one of the other 5k activities like cycle or walk a 5k.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I find that tired/solid feeling like my muscles won't move when I don't stretch/warm up enough beforehand.
    And if you're feeling it too much, definitely just listen to your body. Take a day or two to rest your muscles. You won't fall off the bandwagon if you do this.
    Also, I'm not sure where you run, but it is good for your shins especially, to ensure you're running on some ground that gives, such as an oval, or grass as opposed to concrete. I used to run a lot and ended up getting really sore shins, I had to stop for a while and look for other exercise it became so painful.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My running club does a 100 runs in 100 day challenge every year ( it's a 30 minute run so for a lot of them it's at least a 5 k)

While there is a lot to be said for rest days, and I do agree it is not always smart for someone very new to running to do, this also has it's benefits.
    One of the drawbacks is what you are describing. Most of the people who take part end up going slower during the challenge. A lot have reported after the challenge great improvements in their running.
    Also - with this kind if a challenge your are not supposed to be pushing it every day or running for PRs.
  • brianfmatthews
    brianfmatthews Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    How many miles were you running per week before you started? Are you running at an easy pace? You mention you are setting a new PB often, are you running at an easy pace?
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Like others have said; rest days are CRITICAL.

Drinking water (at least 2L a day) cannot be understated in it's importance.
  • lisaabenjamin
    Options

Unless you were running around 35 miles a week before starting I think the reason your legs are so tired is that you've tried to increase your activity levels too quickly and have given your body no rest days to adapt. If you are doing the above challenge and don't want to stop, I'd take a couple of days to do one of the other 5k activities like cycle or walk a 5k.

Yes, I'm doing the 5x50 Challenge - 28 days in and I'm not going to quit now! You could be right about increasing my activity levels a bit quickly. Before the start of the challenge I hadn't run for a few months (I was put off for a while by a disastrous off road race in January!!) although I was spinning twice a week (one class of which was a double-length endurance class) and playing other sport at least two nights a week - probably not quite enough to prepare me for this challenge.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I guess it's just the cumulative effect of running every day that I'm not used to.

As I stated, even seasoned runners take rest days when training...minimally you should have days where the runs are much easier than other days...you shouldn't be setting out to PR everyday and pushing yourself that hard.

I'm training for a century at the moment and I'm putting quite a few miles on my bike these days and having to train a lot more than I normally would...and while I do cycle on multiple consecutive days, I have rides that I'm pushing and rides that could very much be described as recreational...I'm really not doing anything more than keeping my legs moving...my HR doesn't even get about 130.

I would suggest if you aren't going to take rest days that you at least have easier run days mixed in there....but really, evened for seasoned runners and athletes in general....everyone I know takes some rest at least once per week or every 10 days or so if they're really pushing.
  • lisaabenjamin
    Options
    My running club does a 100 runs in 100 day challenge every year ( it's a 30 minute run so for a lot of them it's at least a 5 k)

While there is a lot to be said for rest days, and I do agree it is not always smart for someone very new to running to do, this also has it's benefits.
    One of the drawbacks is what you are describing. Most of the people who take part end up going slower during the challenge. A lot have reported after the challenge great improvements in their running.
    Also - with this kind if a challenge your are not supposed to be pushing it every day or running for PRs.

As I said I'm not a new runner, but I guess I may have got a bit carried away with trying to push for PBs every time. My body is telling me to slow down the pace I think!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

As I said I'm not a new runner, but I guess I may have got a bit carried away with trying to push for PBs every time. My body is telling me to slow down the pace I think!

You hadn't said that before I posted but I would have said it anyway - was just mentioning it in reference to the other posts. I wasn't intending to imply you were. It was meant in general.
  • lisaabenjamin
    Options
    How many miles were you running per week before you started? Are you running at an easy pace? You mention you are setting a new PB often, are you running at an easy pace?

Before the challenge I hadn't run for a couple of months actually - I took part in an off road race in January (my first off road experience) and hated it so muuch that I gave up on running for a while! But I was doing a lot of spinning and other exercise instead so my fitness was still good. I started off running at an easy pace, but my easy pace started getting quicker, which motivated me to push myself a bit harder. Guess I should be taking it easier to maintain this over 50 days.
  • lisaabenjamin
    Options

You hadn't said that before I posted but I would have said it anyway - was just mentioning it in reference to the other posts. I wasn't intending to imply you were. It was meant in general.

No worries, we overlapped in our postings! :-)
  • lisaabenjamin
    Options
    Like others have said; rest days are CRITICAL.

Drinking water (at least 2L a day) cannot be understated in it's importance.

Thanks, I do drink a lot of water.
  • thirteeninches
    thirteeninches Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I'm not a runner! However, I do have med tech training and a care giver back ground. Just take what I have to say with a grain of salt :)

As you are an experienced runner, having taken a short break, and only after being well into this challenge you are feeling the heavy, muscle fatigue, I wonder if you are experiencing a mineral depletion. Magnesium, which is essential for muscle slow and fast twitch, is the first thing that popped into my head. Also zinc and chromium are important for running fitness (a quick google showed me.)

Just an idea. :) Happy day!
  • lisaabenjamin
    Options
    Disclaimer: I'm not a runner! However, I do have med tech training and a care giver back ground. Just take what I have to say with a grain of salt :)

As you are an experienced runner, having taken a short break, and only after being well into this challenge you are feeling the heavy, muscle fatigue, I wonder if you are experiencing a mineral depletion. Magnesium, which is essential for muscle slow and fast twitch, is the first thing that popped into my head. Also zinc and chromium are important for running fitness (a quick google showed me.)

Just an idea. :) Happy day!

Interesting, thanks! I will look into that. I know a lot of people who exercise a lot eat bananas (not sure if they have magnesium, zinc or chromium in them, but I know they do have a lot of potassium). Unfortunately I absolutely loathe bananas!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Yes, I'm doing the 5x50 Challenge - 28 days in and I'm not going to quit now! You could be right about increasing my activity levels a bit quickly. Before the start of the challenge I hadn't run for a few months (I was put off for a while by a disastrous off road race in January!!) although I was spinning twice a week (one class of which was a double-length endurance class) and playing other sport at least two nights a week - probably not quite enough to prepare me for this challenge.

Increasing activity like this can increase your chance for injury. Even if you have been doing it for 28 days you could still be setting yourself up to get injured and not be able to run at all. I would be very careful. I know it is hard to stay no to a challenge or quit but I wouldn't risk it getting injured even if you came this far.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Are you on a deficit? If I try to run when inadequately fueled (ie, haven't eaten enough before the run), my legs feel heavy. Try having more calories beforehand to see if it makes a difference. Also b vitamins might help.