Do you have a "cheat day"?

Options

Replies

• eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Like one person said already... I normally just have a cheat meal.. not a whole cheat day... it usually happens on Saturday.. because it is date night with the family... but we also incoprate a long walk in the park or outside shopping mall..

Also when i know i'm going eat more then usually.. i also put in an early morning walk before the family wakes up... and late evening walk... before bed.
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Everyday ll
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I am having one today. I haven't had one in several weeks, and since I am experiencing full body DOMS and having difficulty moving, it seems like a good day for one.
  • MissBellaBaby
    Options
    Would this be a whole day of eating crazy or just 1 meal??
  • MissBellaBaby
    Options
    Yes, and according to the 4Hr Body (book I'm following); it is actually good to do cheat day once a week to boost your metabolism so it doesn't go into hybernation mode. You will notice it takes about 2-3 days to drop to the pre-cheat day weight, but then it's downwards significantly again. . .
    Would this be a whole days worth or just 1 meal??
  • Bjamino
    Bjamino Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have today but it has been within some sort of an acceptable reason. As long as you don't make it a frequent thing it's ok, not done me any harm at all :)
  • Rachywascakes
    Rachywascakes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I try not to think of anything as "cheating" or "bad". If I go out for dinner, I generally stick to two courses rather than three, but I won't miss out on a pudding! I try to make sure that I have been to the gym that day or go the following day so I can relax more about the calories.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I tend to live by 80/20.. (when I am on track - which I am clearly not at the moment !!)

I'd be good 80% of the time, eat as clean as possible and try to limit carbs and avoid crap / alcohol BUT I'd go easy on myself for the odd meal.

Based on the notion of 3 meals a day 80/20 would mean 3 meals a week you can be a bit more lenient with yourself. I used to have the odd cheat meal here and there.

Currently I am still not in the right frame of mind to get back to things as I used to but I know that the odd cheat isn't going to undo everything - sometimes we actually need it.

The trick is not to let a cheat meal become a cheat day and then a cheat week.

I remember in 2011 I went away for a week and ate a meal / drank wine every night but as I swam loads, ate healthy in the daytime and drank lots of water I only gained 2lbs !!!

Those were the days!
  • ritan7471
    ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm starting over again but for me the problem is that a cheat meal turns into a cheat day turns into not logging at all.

So this time, I decided that I can eat whatever I want on Friday night (sauna night) but I have to log EVERYTHING. I also made my diary public. I'm finding I can't eat as much as I plan to, but it does give me something to look forward to, ie. "I can eat that on Friday, I don't have to eat it now". Last Friday I couldn't eat all the chocolate I planned to, so I've put it away for next week. :)

This time my husband is on board too, or at least willing to eat whatever meals I cook. I think he always was, but now one of his friends is losing weight and he's feeling motivated too.
  • tjohnoconnor
    tjohnoconnor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have one cheat meal a week where I might go as high as 500 calories over on that meal. I do rest for one day a week from exercise
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal once a week now. It really keeps me in check to have that to look forward to every week. I didn't have one for about the first month though. I really think it would have derailed me in the beginning.
  • 3P0X
    3P0X Posts: 302
    Options
    I have them often

photo.JPG
  • angelarene626
    angelarene626 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I say having a "cheat day" is essential to anyone trying to lose weight. Otherwise, I think you would lose your mind and end up binging from all the depravation. I actually have a "cheat weekend" because my friends love to go out day and/or night and I don't feel like restricting myself at parties, restaurants, etc.

Plus, I usually don't do that badly on the weekend anyways. I guess Sunday is my only real cheat day because I do bootcamp class on Saturday mornings...I workout Mon-Fri, so I still get in 5-6 days of exercise each week. But on Ssaturday or Sunday, I eat whatever pasta, bread or potato dish I want. Yet, I still don't eat that heavy because all the dieting during the week really shrinks my appetite, so I get full pretty quickly. I haven't had any real trouble losing weight so far. Plus all the muscle I build during the week counteracts any real damage I might do during the weekend as well :)
  • Ivana_KillerBody
    Options
    An entire 24 hrs :)
  • Ivana_KillerBody
    Options
    Yes, and according to the 4Hr Body (book I'm following); it is actually good to do cheat day once a week to boost your metabolism so it doesn't go into hybernation mode. You will notice it takes about 2-3 days to drop to the pre-cheat day weight, but then it's downwards significantly again. . .
    Would this be a whole days worth or just 1 meal??

Yes an entire 24 hrs
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    After tracking for 259 days a cheat day every week as helped I didn't have cheat days when first started didn't want to derail my progress
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Yes I have one cheat meal , and it is a healthy clean cheat meal...Like Chipotle salad with extra chicken & brown rice :smile:
  • Premadonna22
    Premadonna22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My cheat day is on Saturday...after a few snacks, I'm done for the rest of the week
  • ProudAirforceWife
    ProudAirforceWife Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I call them TREAT days. Yes, I have them and they really help me stay on track. I usually have them on a Friday or Saturday where I am a little bit more relaxed but I still don't go over board and I record everything, even if I have to guesstimate and add quick calories. Also, I am not dieting, I am changing my lifestyle and eating habits. I think "diet" and "cheat" are bad words. Cheers!
  • Chrissy8172
    Options
    I don't have an entire cheat day, but I may have a cheat meal once during the week or a "cheat treat" with one of my meals (i.e....actually eating regular noodles/potatoes with my chicken..mmm carbs). I think I could just do too much damage if I took an entire cheat day haha