When do you start to see the difference?

Options
I can feel the difference now that I've started working out but I was wondering what is usually the time you start seeing the change? I know it's not a set time and it depends on many variables but I just wondered what the general time period is

Replies

• paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    At 5 lbs my clothes started fitting looser. At 14 lbs it is all in the fact that I wear a size smaller but don't look that different in the mirror-just a size smaller all over.
  • BookAngel_a
    BookAngel_a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you have to lose. If you have 50 to 100 pounds to lose it can take longer to notice a difference, but if you are closer to your goal weight and fitness you might notice right away.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I didn't have much to lose so honestly, I never did see a difference. Still don't. Clothes just fit way different. Someone who has lost a lot may better be able to tell you. Start taking pictures right now for comparison. You're usually the last to notice :)
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Don't go by the scale as much.. take your measurements and take pictures. Sometimes results show up there before on the scale.
  • kellyj0729
    kellyj0729 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I noticed a difference about 5 lbs lost. I noticed I felt "lighter" and clothes fit better. I am close to 20 lbs lost and see a major difference now (kicking myself for not taking pics weekly). I will mention that I am surprised it's not as noticeable to others as I thought it would be.
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Honestly...I have lost 14lbs...I notice a difference in my clothes as I can now wear a smaller size. I work in an office and know alot of people and only 1 person has noticed I have lost weight. I don't have alot to lose so I think that is why people don't notice but if you have alot to lose then the results will be very noticeable.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    When I first started to lose weight it took over 40# for anyone to see it. Kind of sad feeling to have been on a diet for 3 months lost a ton of weight and no one could even see it. Now when I cut even 3 or 4# people will see it right off as the muscles in my neck start to pop out and my face gets drawn. So its all about how much you have to lose.
  • Go4it1985
    Go4it1985 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It really does depend on what size you are to begin with - it's harder to notice when you are larger and if you are generally wearing the same clothes (the body changes sneak up on you). I think I lost about 13-14lbs before my work colleagues noticed and it was maybe 8 weeks (possibly around 10lbs of loss) when I did a double take when I noticed dimples under my rib cage in the mirror in the distance. It has only been when I hit around the 20lb mark that significant noticeable changes happened (dropped dress size, measurements decreased massively).

Taking measurements is a really good motivator as sometimes the scale doesn't always budge fast enough. I know personally it's hard for me to really actually SEE all that I've lost. I know that I've lost 15cm (6 inches from each thigh) but to me, it's hard to visualize how big my thigh was unless Iook at an old photo.

Obviously it also depends on where the weight drops off as to how noticeable the change is :) Some people lose it from their face pretty quickly so it would be noticeable there.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I've always heard people say it takes 6 weeks for people to start seeing change in their body, and 8 weeks until others start to notice.. But I think that is when it comes to gym training for gaining weight.. Weight loss really depends on how aggressive you are with your weight loss...

It is often important to remember that you should not only "notice a difference" to your physique and appearance, you should take very important notice to your health changes, because that's what is more important. It is far more greater to notice that you can now run for 2km straight, rather than 1km that that you did last month.. or notice that you are able to walk around all day and go shopping with family without feeling fatigued, where before you needed a break and a sit-down every 20 minutes...

Just know that even if you're seeing no difference in appearance, your body is still changing internally in terms of health improvement, and that means progress.

Keep it up, be patient, the end result is ALWAYS worth it!
  • Xingy01
    Xingy01 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I can't tell a difference in the mirror. Granted, I was 350 lbs when I started and 302 lbs is still obese. But my clothes don't fit anymore. All of my shorts are 4xl and they fall off of me even when I tie them with drawstrings. I started on the 2nd notch on my belt and now I'm on the last notch. Some of my fat 4xl shirts swallow me now.

It's hard to see a difference in the mirror because you see you every day. You will notice changing in the fit of your clothes long long before you notice anything in the mirror.
  • RelentlessCherry
    Options
    Start taking pictures right now for comparison. You're usually the last to notice :)

Something I've been meaning to do! And speaking as someone who's weight has been up and down like a yo-yo over the years, I can agree with the majority of replies with regard to you'll notice the difference in your clothes before you'll actually see any real difference. My biggest weight loss was 42lbs a couple of years back, and I didn't really see a difference until I lost nearly 20lbs, but I felt it way before then.

Again, take some before, during and after pics. Apart from anything else it will help motivate you and make you feel really good about yourself when you see how much you've lost. Best of luck to you xx
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I have to buy new jeans after only 8lbs. It will happen pretty quick.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I"ve lost almost 20 inches off my overall body and my SO says he can "Kinda" see a change.

I've lost 23 pounds and no one, except my neighbor and my SO's aunt, have noticed.

I haven't noticed a damned thing in appearance anyways. Here's where I noticed it-

-My favorite sz.20 jeans fall off and my new 18's are getting there as well.
    -The seatbelt in my car has more room in it
    -The dress I bought for Easter last year fit this year with more room
    -One of my former favorite dresses fits again... with room and it's an 18
    -My shoes size has gone from a 10 to an 8-9 depending on the brand and style
    -None of my bra's fit in the band anymore and had to be replaced with a size down (38 to 36)
    -My "girl gut" doesn't hang so low anymore
    -I had to buy smaller underwear lol!!
    -Everything in my closet just seems a bit "big"
    -Things that I couldn't wear before cuz they were a bit too snug are now just snug but I can wear them

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU AND IT TAKES TIME!!
  • Lovinglish
    Lovinglish Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Honestly sometimes I cant see a darn thing, I take photos and sometimes my stomach looks bigger than before. However, I havent really purchased any new clothes yet so maybe thats why.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Today is day 60. I've gone from 351 to 320. I took pictures day 1, 30, and today day 60. At day 30 I didn't see any difference between the two pictures but after taking a 3rd picture today I can see a very clear difference. Even between the first 2 that I couldn't originally see a difference. I could feel a difference in my clothes within the first 10 pounds and at 31 its almost time to buy new work pants and belt.

If I had to guess, I'd say with the more you have to lose, the longer it will take to see that first difference.
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    At 15 pounds, my underwear and shoes are loose. I can wear blouses that used to be uncomfortably tight. I haven't really noticed any other changes.

Pretty much depends on your body type. Not everyone shrinks the same.