Thank you to poster - re: Exercising when tired

Options
There was recently a thread that asked the question "Do you exercise when you are tired?"

Someone answered that they did. They'd tell themselves they'd go and half a** it, but then their competitive nature would kick in and they'd get it done.

To the person who posted that, thank you! Your words were in my head. and that was exactly what happened to me today. In my daughter's words, "Mommy kicked the gym's butt!"

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Lol, love that quote! Congrats on finding a way to break through mental barriers :)
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    For me I play epic music and imagine myself doing all sorts of bad-assery. Get's my adrenal system flowing and before you know it I'm exceeding my limits just cos I don't wanna stop =)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    This is me also. Today, I got my gym gear on, went out the door, and felt like crap. I was so sleepy, so slow, and was going to simply wander around town, get a pot of tea in a cafe and then go home and sleep, as I have killed my workouts for the last 4 days (1200-1600 burnt in activity + exercise). However, after sitting and having my tea, my energy came back a bit, and I thought, 'well, I can go in and just do 20 minutes...anything is better than not trying at all'. I spent two hours there in the end, and felt better for it. Unless I am really badly drained, I tend to use mind over matter. I take the approach of, go in, give it a go, come back if it is really too hard. I push through. But then I am a very driven and competitive person and I need to be to attain my level of fitness with only 68% lung function.
  • Predat0r1502
    Predat0r1502 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is a slightly more accurate way to determine whether or not you should push yourself at the gym.

While I don't want to encourage a lazy mentality it is also important to determine whether you're actually recovering and adapting to exercise versus just running yourself into the ground.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/4-ways-to-test-your-recovery-rate
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    This is a slightly more accurate way to determine whether or not you should push yourself at the gym.

While I don't want to encourage a lazy mentality it is also important to determine whether you're actually recovering and adapting to exercise versus just running yourself into the ground.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/4-ways-to-test-your-recovery-rate

This^^^

I konw some people who are obsessed with their goals and keeping up their routine so when the are sick they are still pushing themselves...ended up in ER...