it's going to take over a year, how to get motivated?

Options
Starhaven
Starhaven Posts: 9 Member
I grew up thinking I was fat - probably because I grew taller and more quickly my peers. I was 5 ft 7 at 11 years old. I was probably 120 pounds. By high school I was the same height but probably 145. I thought I was fat. I used to train for half marathons at that weight. In retrospect, I'm wondering why my mother didn't give me a head shake.

So after two babies who are now 5 and 7 I'm 212 pounds. How did that happen? I think I lost me somewhere. I stopped running. I stopped going to the gym. I ate popcorn made on the stove with oil. I hibernated during the long winter.

How do you really get moving and get back to health after you've had a period of years of being unhealthy.

When you know it's going to take a year or more and you're on the first day - how do you find the motivation?

Replies

• LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Try making smaller goals and rewarding yourself along the way. Non-food rewards are the best rewards, since you don't have to track them. :) I have just a few pounds to go before I reward myself with my new riding helmet. The bigger goal will still be there, down the road. You just need a few mile markers along the way to keep you going.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Just dive right in. I kept waiting for ''the right time'' and the ''spurt of motivation'' and when I finally succeeded at getting into it was a random weekday, in the middle of the day, I just said ''I'm starting NOW'' and that was it. Don't expect to feel motivated or energised about it all the time. There are many times when I am really just plodding along and going through the motions. Remind yourself of how you DON'T want to be in April 2015 thinking ''dammit, I'd be at my goal weight and fit again if I'd started this time last year''.

I was the same as you, a super skinny and fit kid/teen but didn't see it at all, and then ended up 177lb (5' 5'') by the time I reached 2nd year in college. It's been hard getting back to fitness but it's such a great feeling when you notice your endurance improving! I set my weight loss targets at just 2.5lb. So right now I've lost 20lb and my next target is 22.5lb. It's feels so much more doable than aiming for 10 or 20lb goals, on those bad days.

Just start. Get logging, get moving. Time will pass whether you're losing weight or not, that's what I remind myself constantly.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    A year will pass whether I lose weight, gain weight, or maintain my weight. I ask myself which outcome will make me happiest.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    It's a decision. That year will pass no matter what, how would you rather spend it? While losing, you can still live your life.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Smaller goals, one change at a time...and realize the year will go by whether you start this journey or not. Do you want to be right where you are now in one year? You can do this...just get started!
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Jump straight in and surround yourself with people who will keep you motivated be that in person or mfp friends and Break down your goals into smaller goals (weight/health/exercise) and reward yourself when you reach them - also keep a positive attitude, keep going and see it as a lifestyle change - You can do this!
    :flowerforyou:
  • asarwe
    asarwe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey, you sound a bit like me. I was a swimmer (not very good, but still...) in middle school. Then I got injured and couldn't find any mojo to do anything anymore. I have gained so much weight in the last year (about 10 kg) and just want it off. Sort of now... I recognize the feeling of losing yourself. I want to regain the girl who ran a 10k because of stubbornness, the girl who could swim 4 miles and think nothing of it, the girl who always took the stairs, the girl who rode her bike everywhere.

Right now my life is a bit hellish because of work-related stress. I find that doing exercise helps so much with that particular thing, and is worth it just because of that. I feel like crap if I eat wrong, still I do it because of convenience. I try to change this too.

My way of motivating myself is thinking that "I love myself, I love my body enough to try to take care of it". I feel good after doing a "run" in week 3 of the C25k programme. It makes me feel like I'm doing something good. And it's something I can just do without having to think. I read on a blog I really like that her first step after losing herself in a similar way was to think "I will be the sort of person who takes the stairs" and "I want to be the sort of person who exercises" and so on. It's about giving yourself a pat on the back every day because you are actually trying. You are doing good.

Set up small goals. Try going without sweets for four weeks. That is what I'm going to try to do, but allowing sweets once a week (my friends like dessert and I hate feeling left out) and exercising to burn of the extra.

Feel free to add me if you like. We are the same height, so probably a similar build.
  • alexandriamarino
    alexandriamarino Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's funny how these things happen. I can relate to a lot of what you are saying. I don't want to be lecture-y, but maybe some of these things will help....

I know that when I slip up (and you will slip up sometimes), i get caught in a terrible all-or-nothing thought cycle like, "well shoot, i had some chocolate cake, my diet is RUINED i may as well eat a pound of chips and a pizza too". I'm slowly getting better at getting back on the horse, but I think being forgiving of yourself if you mess up and then getting right back on track is helpful.

I'd also suggest mini-goals -- like for you, a first one might be to get under 200, and to get some running endurance back. (Not sure if you having been working out at all but you might check out couch to 5k -- as someone who used to be in much better shape, i was mortified at the first workout or two when i could barely jog for a minute, but a few weeks later i'm feeling much stronger and it's also been easier to lose weight and inches).
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Definitely short term goals. But you also have to step back and look at the big picture long term occasionally too - a year from now do you want to still be where you are now, overwhelmed by the prospect of how long it might take? Or do you want to have owned that year, making progress and great strides in your health, fitness, having lost weight, become stronger, leaner, more flexible, challenging yourself with new and awesome things, reaching goals and milestones throughout that year?

A year from now you don't want to be saying "I should have started a year ago", you want to be saying "Look how much I have accomplished in a year!!".

You can do it!
  • mbitely2004
    mbitely2004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    small goals, along the way,
    make friends here or other weight loss places (I use another forum www.3fatchicks.com more for support here for questions)
    strart putting excercise back into your weekly routine!

and good luck!
  • headfullofsongs
    headfullofsongs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the time it will take, it will always seem overwhelming and you'll find excuses (or I did). Think in very small goals. They seem puny and unimpressive sometimes, but they add up quickly. For me, it's a day by day thing, and some days, a minute by minute thing, but it's working, and it will for you too!

I have a sign posted at work and at home that says "a year from now, you'll wish you'd started today. make things happen!"

Good luck!!
  • inky16
    inky16 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Oh well... edited to try and make the picture work, but no cigar. In any case, it's one of my favorite motivational posters that says "A year from now, you'll wish you had started today." I'm sure you've heard or seen that, but it really puts it all in perspective to me. No matter how far I've got to go, I'm still closer than was before I started.

Best of luck to you! Add me if you need a friend :smile:
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options

think of how NEXT summer you will rock that bathing suit.

ugh. I wish. I can never wear a bathing suit again.

OP, git 'er done NOW so that this doesn't happen to you. You don't have THAT much to lose in comparison to some people, and you HAVEN'T actually been 'fat' for that long....so your skin may still forgive you. Start now for the sake of the bathing suit. lol.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    A year will pass whether I lose weight, gain weight, or maintain my weight. I ask myself which outcome will make me happiest.

+1
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    The year is gonna pass either way.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    You commit. A committed person will pursue their goal regardless of obstacles and setbacks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I need to correct your thinking, it will take you much longer than a year. It will take you the rest of your life if you intend to keep the weight off. I don't say this to be discouraging, just the opposite. You need to have the mindset of someone who wants to be healthy for the rest of her life, not just for a year. That's part of why it's important to develop new habits slowly, to make sure those new habits are livable.
  • akagoldengirl
    akagoldengirl Posts: 18 Member
    Options

This is brilliant - what a great way to look at it! I totally agree, it may take a'a whole year' but I suggest make your aim for one week and then one month - notice how much better you feel after you exercise, if you are breathing deeply more often, happier, feeling less bloated or acidy etc etc..... And have inspiration clothes. Maybe something one size smaller that you really love that you can try on once a week and see that it fits that little bit better - that is my favorite and the only real way I measure my weight

Good luck!
  • Starhaven
    Starhaven Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is good perspective. Thank you.