What the Eff is a stone?

Options
From what I understand its a weight measurement? Am I right? Why use stones not lbs?

Replies

• misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    There are 14lbs in 1stone. It is just another measurement.
  • Sf0rza
    Sf0rza Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Because you're British and that's what you grew up on?

1 stone = 14 lb
  • Maryanne1923
    Maryanne1923 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    A stone is 14 lbs Imperial System. I suppose it was so that you didn't have to use so many little pieces of metal on scales before modern ones were invented :)

much the same as saying a quart or gallon instead of the amount in pints.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    One of Mick Jagger's band mates.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mbitely2004
    mbitely2004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This makes sense, I was going through measurements from other countries in my head and I couldnt place stone anywhere! Thanks! lol
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Should have googled harder.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Why the Eff is Murica practically the only country left that uses the imperial system?
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Why the Eff is Murica practically the only country left that uses the imperial system?

Why the Eff do people feel compelled to be offensive and nation-bashing on a weight loss forum?
  • PennyVonDread
    Options

Um.. Science majors (I) don't.
  • PennyVonDread
    Options
    Converting is a simple matter of multiplication or division. I'm pretty sure it's NBD.
  • Maryanne1923
    Maryanne1923 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    In the UK retailers all have to use grams now instead of oz. and liquids are in ml. Most people know their weight in stones and their height in feet and inches (unless they are nurses then they use kg and cm). BUT our road signs and speedometers still use miles and mph??!!
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJ1Iczj77NHO6dHS9QiEHGrK8Ps9G137YT0PW_NfLCHKpAa6j0
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    One of Mick Jagger's band mates.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

:laugh:
  • Mummysskinnymission
    Options
    Im british and i have been brought up with stone and lbs but since using this site i speak to friends in lbs and they haven't got a clue what im on about hahah the english way i suppose
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Um, do you even google?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Why the Eff do people feel compelled to be offensive and nation-bashing on a weight loss forum?

I'm not nation bashing...I happen to be Murican and stuff....

It would appear from the OP that the poster was/is not aware that other countries use different units of measure. Being all, "why the Eff to people use this or that unit of measure" is classic "Murica, **** yeah" type of comment. It is ignorance, and being an American and all....and a well traveled one, I find it annoying that so many of us in the U.S. are completely ignorant of other people's customs and cultures.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I grew up in an age of stones and pounds and how many 'feet' I am. Its hard to change that and we keep passing it on to the next generation rather than getting to grip with the metric system. Its like if you tell me the weather in Fahrenheit, I have no idea what temp it is!
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    stone was new to me too thanks for answer-
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Why doesn't everyone speak English?

Why do people drive on the left side if the road?

What's with those funny hats in Vietnam?

Why do the French like cheese so damn much?

. . .

Google is your friend. Well, that and getting out a bit . . .