Why can't I get a flat stomach? Someone please help!!

Options
Hi everyone

I'm hoping one of you lovely people can help me! I weight approximately 112 lbs so definitely not overweight and I am completely aware of this but I have a problem area, this being my stomach! Whatever I do and however hard I try I just can't seem to get my stomach flat! I am eating at a deficit, I never ever go above 1200 cals a day and sometimes I eat less! I go to the gym 5 times a week doing a mix of cardio and weights and I am lifting as heavy as I possible can usually doing 12 reps and either 3/4 sets. I work both my upper and lower body but my stomach just isn't changing! I eat clean foods, where poss, I have times at weekend where I will have the odd treat but this doesn't mean I excessively go over my cals, mostly just a little. I just don't know where to go from here....I'm really looking for the flat tummy people to tell me how they got there! I've had 2 kiddies, both via c section but I am in the best shape I have ever been in but just stuck on this one thing! Help would be appreciated :) thanks xx

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    honeslty, it just takes time and is a painfully slow process. Once you get to a certain body weight and body fat% your body is going to fight to hold onto that body fat, because that is the body's "emergency energy source"….

I would consider the following:

do you own a food scale? Weigh, measure everything?
    consistently log everything?
    are you lifting heavy using compound movements?

You mentioned eating 1200 and sometimes less…why so low? How long have you been eating like this? You could have metabolic adaption from chronic underrating and your metabolism has now slowed down…
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Going out on a limb here.....you're young, you don't weigh anything, you work out a whole heck of a lot....and think you have a big stomach.....BODY IMAGE ISSUES. Yep, that's my non-professional opinion! We get a lot of that here on MFP.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It is flat in your profile you're just leaning back a bit. It's a posture issue not a weight issue.
  • leah9985
    leah9985 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Going out on a limb here.....you're young, you don't weigh anything, you work out a whole heck of a lot....and think you have a big stomach.....BODY IMAGE ISSUES. Yep, that's my non-professional opinion! We get a lot of that here on MFP.

I cannot stress enough that I DO NOT have body image issues! I am simply just trying to find out how to get a lean stomach. I am happy with my size and weight but I just want to have a lean stomach, that's what a lot of people want so it isn't a body image issue what so ever.
  • leah9985
    Options
    Ok so maybe I should rephrase this.....how do I get a lean stomach???
  • dreams4sale
    Options
    If you're referring to belly fat, it takes a long time to lose the last bit. 5'5" and 117.8 lbs currently, and I still have a bit of fat over my abs. You've had kids though, if you're referring to any loose skin that may not be fat, there's probably nothing you can do about it.

I've also had ladies in the gym ask me how I got so "toned" as they tell me about their "intense" routines and their low cal diet. 30 mins on the elliptical at resistance 1 won't get you a lean body. I run 15 miles a week, do 17 miles with a weighted pack per week, lift heavy 3x per week and walk 10-20 miles a week. I eat 2200 calories a day. And i don't have a perfectly flat stomach. I would say stop stressing and maybe eat more (don't know how tall you are, 1200 might be right for you if you're small but probably too few calories).
  • JoshD8705
    Options
    Ok so maybe I should rephrase this.....how do I get a lean stomach???

To make measurements one time I wrapped my belly in saran wrap, and did about an hour of cardio. You can try that to get an idea of what you'd look like with some more work.
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I looked at your profile pics and your stomach looks lean to me, I think you look awesome! I'd love to have a stomach like yours and I see you have two kids! You should be very proud of yourself. I don't have any advice, (I can only assume you're wanting to get even leaner) but just wanted to say you look great.
  • Jennilyn79
    Jennilyn79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Having 2 kids and both csections can definitely loosen the muscle underneath no matter how healthy you are. It sounds like you're doing everything you can.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    This is probably going to sound like it's coming out of left field, but I think you should bulk. You're very thin and you're eating too little. I think you should gradually increase your calories until you're eating at a slight surplus (200-300 calories above maintenance) and do some (heavy!) weight lifting 3 days a week, at least a day apart. It's up to you whether you keep the cardio, but you'll need to eat back your exercise calories.

I think if you did that you could get a really NICE tummy. Judging by your profile pictures, I think you would benefit a lot from adding on some muscle. I recommend the New Rules of Lifting (for Women) program. I've been doing it for a while and I'm definitely getting stronger! The book is entertaining and informative as well.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    This is probably going to sound like it's coming out of left field, but I think you should bulk. You're very thin and you're eating too little. I think you should gradually increase your calories until you're eating at a slight surplus (200-300 calories above maintenance) and do some (heavy!) weight lifting 3 days a week, at least a day apart. It's up to you whether you keep the cardio, but you'll need to eat back your exercise calories.

I think if you did that you could get a really NICE tummy. Judging by your profile pictures, I think you would benefit a lot from adding on some muscle. I recommend the New Rules of Lifting (for Women) program. I've been doing it for a while and I'm definitely getting stronger! The book is entertaining and informative as well.

This would be my advice as well. Probably not what you expected to hear, but you're not going to get a lean stomach by eating 1200 calories a day and doing cardio. If anything you're putting your body through hell right now and it's going to fight you along the way. Give your body more food, pick up some heavy things, be amazed.
  • scare006jack37
    scare006jack37 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    In my experience for a person never able to get the ultimate heaven genetic six/eight pack, but always a toned stomach from massive amounts of cardio 2+hours a day, low impact like walking or swimming is best!

Basal metabolic rate (BMR) accounts for breathing, heart rate, i.e. basic body functions. In one study scientists found coma patients need at least 1200 calories to maintain healthy BMR levels. Unless you are a coma patient which the profile pic tells me otherwise then I'd suggest following the recommendations of myfitnesspal. Eat peanut butter to fill the void, one tablespoon is packed with healthy calories.

Looking healthy is 80-90% diet and 10-20% exercise. I actually stopped exercising for about six months and adopted a healthy diet and lost more mass (about 40lbs) than when I was exercising and eating poorly.
  • scarlettmbunny
    scarlettmbunny Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It is flat in your profile you're just leaning back a bit. It's a posture issue not a weight issue.

Hi Leah,

I think Josh is on to something with his comment about posture. You are slim and don't have a stomach, but it's good for everyone to work on core strength and leanness. I don't mean to sound conceited but I have a bit of a six pack (I have a photo on my profile that you can see) and even then I look like I have a stomach pooch if I don't stand or sit up straight. Most people think I weigh 98lbs because I look lean, but I weigh 108lbs so pretty close to your weight. Posture does make a huge difference, not just in terms of how your stomach looks but in terms of strengthening and toning the muscles. I actually hardly do any ab workouts and rely more on good posture and overall body toning to flatten my stomach. For example, I do my bicept curls and other arm workouts on a bosu ball so that my core gets worked. When I sit at home or work, I sit on an exercise ball. Since my core gets stronger from balancing on the balls, I only really need to a few sit ups (4x15 with weights) and some Russian twists (4x15 with weights) two days a week and that's it.

As for diet, I would recommend against going below 1200 on any given day since it can negatively affect your metabolism and possibly be counterproductive if it starts to cause your muscles to waste away. If that happens, your stomach will not look toned even if you lose weight.

Good luck!
    Scarlett
  • leah9985
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the good tips and advice :) it's massively helpful! it seems that the majority think that I should be eating more. I have worked out that my BMR is 1192 and my TDEE is 1692 - any idea how many calories I should be eating? It's all so confusing!!
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i used to be fat and sad and after a lot of trials and fails i finally found out a diet that worked well for me and came to realize what i have been doing wrong , the common mistake that all women do "myself included" is that we intend to do exercises and diets that are actually disigned for men and that's the reason why most women fail to lose weight.
    i will be glad to fill you with the details about the diet and exercises i've been doing just PM me or email me at samanthaablain{@}gmail.com although i prefere if you email me and i will show you my before and after photos
    HAPPY to help a sister in need and good luck

Reported. You can't advertise here. Plus, I call BS on pretty much everything you've said.
  • JoshD8705
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the good tips and advice :) it's massively helpful! it seems that the majority think that I should be eating more. I have worked out that my BMR is 1192 and my TDEE is 1692 - any idea how many calories I should be eating? It's all so confusing!!

Anyone suggesting you start lifting to attain your goal would have you start slightly above the 1692. Maybe 1750 to start with a weight routine.
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have weighed 118 pounds at 5'5" and had someone ask me when "the baby is due". I have diastasis rectus, which is the separation of the ab muscles. It happens during pregnancy. There are some exercises you can do to repair it, search on line, but unfortunately, it can be a permanent muscle separation that is only repairable through surgery. I have two people on my friend list who have had the repair done. I have a very similar rounding out look as I think you may be referring to, gets worse throughout the day as I grow tireder and have eaten more food.
    That said, I agree with all the above posters that you look great! I also think heavy lifting is where it is at and eating enough to support your fitness is important. I am still working on my body image... its hard to be fit and strong and a smaller size but still with a belly! It can take the wind out of your sails and become your focus. Dont let it! Be the most awesome version of yourself, who happens to have had two children. You are more than your abs!
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options

I think you should work your way up to somewhere between 1800-2000 calories and lift heavy weights to get the stomach you want.

Someone else made a note about posture and that's something that I actually learned recently so I wanted to share. Stand yourself up straight and put your hand on the very bottom of your back. Press in here until your spine isn't bending back anymore and you bend your knees slightly. Your tummy will probably look flat because your spine is straight.
  • acawle00
    acawle00 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pilates? Not just mat pilates but real apparatus work? I still have a good bit of weight to lose but its been an amazing tool for me as far as changing my body. I will say that it does matter where you practice from. Make sure you go to reputable studio! Also, i would echo everyone else on eating more, at least 1500 cals/day
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I have weighed 118 pounds at 5'5" and had someone ask me when "the baby is due". I have diastasis rectus, which is the separation of the ab muscles. It happens during pregnancy. There are some exercises you can do to repair it, search on line, but unfortunately, it can be a permanent muscle separation that is only repairable through surgery. I have two people on my friend list who have had the repair done. I have a very similar rounding out look as I think you may be referring to, gets worse throughout the day as I grow tireder and have eaten more food.
    That said, I agree with all the above posters that you look great! I also think heavy lifting is where it is at and eating enough to support your fitness is important. I am still working on my body image... its hard to be fit and strong and a smaller size but still with a belly! It can take the wind out of your sails and become your focus. Dont let it! Be the most awesome version of yourself, who happens to have had two children. You are more than your abs!

Good response. If this turns out to be your issue traditional ab exercises, including yoga and pilates, can make it worse. There are a few exercises you can google to target the transverse muscles that will help.

And I also advocate eating more. :)