Yoga worth it?

Options
2»

Replies

• MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy yoga! I do it once a week on fridays, and it works out perfectly as I get to end the week w/ a great stretch on sore muscles. It also gives me a quiet hour to focus on my body (to listen to the aches and pains, to see how a small adjustment
    makes all the difference in the world and most of all to just clear my head and relax). As others have said, you can either love it or
    be fairly unimpressed by it, but I would try it for a few weeks before making up my mind about it.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    What do you mean is it worth it? Yea there is not a big calorie burn; but yoga provides a ton of benefits. The biggest is prevention of injuries during your higher impact activities. Doing yoga will make you better at all of your other activities. Personally I do restorative yoga, it helps the healing process from all of the other stuff I do to myself.
  • aribugg
    aribugg Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I love my yoga! but i dont think it's for everyone. the one thing i find annoying, is that if i go 2 or more days without doing it i can feel myself getting stiff again. and there are just days i cant always do it.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Benefits:
    1. I'm a nicer person after I do yoga. I have a long way to go to be a nice person, but it's still an improvement.
    2. If you're tight, then an increase in flexibility is a great thing.
    3. My posture when I'm not doing yoga is pretty good and fantastic when I'm in class
    4. I let things go more often. I hold fewer grudges. I'm more content with "what is".
    5. I can do all sorts of fun poses - I stand on my head, hands, arms; I touch my feet to my head. It makes kids laugh.
    6. I have an entire group of friends I didn't have before.
    7. I enjoy it. If you find something you enjoy, you'll stick with it. If you enjoy kickboxing, then by all means do that. If you like yoga, than do that too. You'll be much healthier and happier of you find things you enjoy.
    8. I'm all around stronger than I used to be.
    9. If I'm stressed out, I can go stand on my head for a bit, and I feel better.
    10. Yoga helps me be more aware of the effect food has on my body. I notice if I have too much caffeine, my palms sweat. If I eat junk, I feel like junk.

So, yeah, I think it's worth it. Try a bunch of different styles. And if at all possible, go to class!

I love this post.

I practice yoga every day. I'm lost if I don't. The body changes and weight loss are just a great bonus.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Definitely worth it for me. I go at least once a week to class.

Stretching and being forced to focus on my body's nuances and cues have helped my overall posture and awareness of my body, which I think helps my running.

Some yoga styles are more meditative, and may not be much of a "workout", but there are styles that are. I do primarily vinyasa flow, which has a lot of body weight moves (planks, etc.), and rapid pose changes.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has some pretty ugh yoga videos if you want more of a workout

Jillian's yoga meltdown is pretty intense.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I like doing yoga the day after my strength training routines. It helps with balance and I like getting stretched out after leg day.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    What are the benefits?

"yoga" = union; uniting the body, mind, and spirit
    hatha yoga = asanas; meant to train the body to cope with the rigors of sustained meditation; a mere fraction of "yoga"
    sustained meditation = the way toward full unity

what are the benefits of breathing in a fully mindful manner? try it when you are running. try it when you are angry. try it when you are sad. try it when you are singing. don't even bother trying to learn a particular technique first. just pay attention to your breathing. be aware of it. that's the start of something amazing.

what are the benefits of moving in a fully conscious manner? how well do you know your body? i mean, all it parts? all the ways it can move? do you know all the ways you can move? have you tried them all? have you ever mentally focused on every part of your body? how familliar are you with all the ways your body feels in all its places? do you have precise control over all they ways in which you can move?

i could go on all day. i'll just stop now.