Am I the only one who hates water ??

Options

Replies

• stephx8
    stephx8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt say I hate water but I don't go out of my way to drink it. Try diluting juice or flavoured water. I don't mind water if its ice ice cold. Hopefully this helps.
  • Snapshotgirl
    Snapshotgirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't like water and it makes my tummy hurt but then, South Texas water is infamous for being very hard, akaline water. I usually flavor it with enhancers or fruit and then I can drink it. You should stay hydrated, especially if you exercise. Check your pee color, it should be light yellow or clear. if it isn't, drink more water.
  • klingonbarbie
    klingonbarbie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    my pee is often purple from eating beetroot!!!:bigsmile:
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I never drink plain water. Hate it. Won't ever drink it. If I'm thirsty, I drink unsweetened iced tea or Sparkling Ice.
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't like plain water either (with certain exceptions), so I tend to drink a lot of herbal teas instead.
  • danielleyvonnem
    Options
    You're not the only one...I too hate water (just take a look at my water consumption in my food diary!). There are lots of things that are good for you that many people just don't like...so I don't think not liking water is that outrageous.

I have found some homemade flavoured infused water on Pinterest. These are my two favourite:

1. Sassy Water
    http://www.sitnoseckano.com/sassy-water/
    it’s very easy to make: in 2 l water add 1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced, 1 lemon, thinly sliced, 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger and around 10 spearmint leaves.
    leave in the fridge for a few hours or overnight and in the morning you’ll have a cold and really refreshing drink.

2. Rosemary-Orange Water
    http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/948069/flavored-water-recipes
    8 sprigs fresh rosemary
    4 slices fresh orange
    Ice
    Water

I also drink lots of Herbal Tea. I like Celestial Seasonings "Bengal Spice" herbal tea. It's cinnamony, spicey and tastes sweet so I don't have to add any honey. I tend to stay away from artificial sweetners and flavour additives and I find they are bloating.

Hope you found this post useful,

Danielle
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You could try putting fruit in your water, or slices of lemon and cucumber - yes together. It's very good.
  • jimethanowen
    Options
    I also do not like water. To get in my personal goal of at least 4 8oz. glasses I have to guzzle! I do drink 1 pop a day and other than that I am not thirsty, or at least to the point where my dry mouth tells me I'm thirsty! You are not alone:)
  • Ldysw357
    Ldysw357 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    No you are not! I have to be working out or super hot to drink plain water and then it has to be super cold! Otherwise, I have learned to love Mio and Crystal light...it's the only way I can do it. I figure with Crystal light the 10 calories for a full packet is still better than the 290 from a 20 oz Mountain Dew that I used to live on.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I drink water because I need it to live.......but that's me. I don't need candy in my salad or sugar and artificial color in my water.
  • kempt_ken
    kempt_ken Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I also hate the taste of water..

If like or don't mind water that's great but for those of us who don t care for or active dislike the taste of water we need a calorie free alternative.

The absolute best way guarantee that a your weight loss strategy will fail is if it requires you to force yourself to routinely eat and drink foods and beverages you can't stand. No one can do that for the rest of their life and weight loss / weight management is a life long process.

My water strategy has been to use the sucralose sweetened water flavors. MIO, Dasani etc makes water taste like juice with no calories.

Try that and see if you like the taste.

The nice things is it actually tastes just like sugar no diet sweetener taste.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Honestly I cannot fathom not liking water!!! What do you do when you're thirsty? You're bloated from not drinking enough water, water isn't the cause of your bloat. You need to retrain your brain because naturally that is all our body wants to hydrate. Try ice water, lemon water.. Sorry I'm not much help.

This. Water tastes like nothing, it literally has no flavor, how can anyone hate it? Does not compute.

Yeah. This post is silly. I feel like I've fallen into a one-way vortex and gone to a place where nothing makes sense and I'm forced to live there until I die. Oh, wait, I did when I fell out of my mom's womb.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I like plain water better with ice in it, I sometimes use true lemon packets they are sweetened with stevia, other times, fresh lemons or limes, cucumbers in water. I don't tend use things sweetened with splenda.
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't hate it but there's definitely a limit on how much I care to drink and unless I'm sweating like crazy for me 6 or 7 cups seems to be about right.

Then again most of the claims about our water requirements are utter BS. All that stuff about 8-10 cups. made up numbers!

The amount of water you need to drink depends on the amount of H20 you've consumed in your foods and the amount that's left your body amongst a number of other factors. Nobody else can tell you what the right quantity is. Basically just check the color of your pee and that gives a good indication.

That said... when it comes to dieting, it's going to be really hard to beat water as a way to help fill your stomach, get the necessary H20 and not consume calories. There are quite a few low calorie flavorings for water these days though.
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Honestly I cannot fathom not liking water!!! What do you do when you're thirsty? You're bloated from not drinking enough water, water isn't the cause of your bloat. You need to retrain your brain because naturally that is all our body wants to hydrate. Try ice water, lemon water.. Sorry I'm not much help.

This. Water tastes like nothing, it literally has no flavor, how can anyone hate it? Does not compute.

I assure you that water does indeed have a taste. I can tell different bottled water apart and some tap water is truly disgusting.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you hate water, don't drink it. It's not a secret magic trick for losing weight. I'm fairly certain you drink something when you're thirsty, be it milk, tea, coffee, soda pop, Kool-Aid, etc..

I drink water for 2 reasons:
    1. it's free
    2. it has no calories
    This!

I'll add that you just need to watch your urine. If it's not very pale you aren't getting enough water. Also keep in mind that it takes drinking more water to help you lose water you're retaining (bloat). It sounds counterintuitive, I know, but your body will shed the retained water if it knows you are getting enough to maintain it. Too much salt will also cause you to retain water and more water will help to flush the excess sodium from your body.

Don't go overboard and be one of those people who feels like they must drink gallons each day. That much water isn't necessarily good for you on a regular basis. You start flushing important electrolytes if you drink too much water over a short period of time. Every hour, a healthy kidney at rest can excrete about a quart of water so a healthy person can drink water at that rate without a problem. Those with kidney issues should drink less. So should those who are in periods of physical stress, say during an hour long intense spinning class or while running a marathon, because the body attempts to conserve water in those conditions even when sweating copiously.

There's nothing that says you have to drink plain water. Add something to it to flavor it but watch the empty calories. I've found True Citrus and it's a wonderful thing. Little packets of crystallized citrus fruit that equal a wedge of fruit and are completely natural and zero calories. If you feel like you need something sweeter and don't mind artificial sweeteners try Mio or Crystal Light in your water.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Sigh.... first world problems. :huh:
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Sigh.... first world problems. :huh:

Yes but that could well be said about virtually every thread on here

In fact the whole concept of dieting could be considered a 'first world problem'

Let's see what people are talking about on here:
    What 3 items at Walmart would you buy?
    Which running shoe brands?
    What's healthy when you are obese
    Not losing weight and need help
    Wife wants to go gluten free
    Friend request on MFP
    Elliptical or treadmill?

All first world problems?
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Our tap water tastes like algae and mildew. In the summer it often tests positive for nitrates (decomposing poop) from all the birds that sit in the open water pits or whatever you call them. I can not drink it.

Bottled water I can drink, but I still can not drink as much of it as I'm "suppose to" without waking up every few hours during the night to go pee.
  • acsbeck
    acsbeck Posts: 9
    Options
    I used to hate drinking water. Diet pop was the only thing I could drink in any amount, and even then I was drinking nothing but 2-3 cans of that a day. Now I rarely drink pop and I'm constantly pounding back water. I found that the switch got rid of my headaches and gave me more energy; turns out that dehydration causes fatigue, and I was severely caffeine-addicted.

The things that help me are:

1) A good water filter. I only like water if it's ice cold, and I find it tastes better when it comes from my Brita jug. Bottled water is the dumbest thing you can buy if you have a decent municipal water source. So get a Brita, keep it full and in your fridge.

2) Natural flavour. I got a pitcher that has a sort of strainer in it that you can use to infuse water with flavours. In the summer, that's always full of either lemon slices, lime slices, mint or cucumber. I actually got my entire workplace drinking cucumber water last summer! They thought it sounded gross, but there's nothing more refreshing on a hot summer day.

3) Artificial flavour. Sometimes plain water just won't cut it, and you want something sweet. When you would normally reach for a pop, that's when the water flavouring drops come in handy. I find that the powders are hard to mix and there's usually too much in a package. Flavourings like Mio, Dasani and Crystal Light all come in liquid form. You can even get sports versions! I like to mix and match flavours; I've found that just about everything goes well with lemonade.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!