Clean Eaters. Your experience.

1235»

Replies

• mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    I think clean eating sufferers the same problem that a lot of things do in that the term itself conjures up a very moralistic "right vs wrong, clean vs dirty" kind of image, and that (coupled with the occasional but highly vocal minority of elitists who think their way of eating is the only "right" way) can set a lot of people's teeth on edge. So topics like this are always going to bring up some (sometimes justified) knee-jerk reactions, no matter how innocently intentioned.

To answer your actual questions: I label what I'm working towards "clean eating" but the more accurate title would really be "eating as many home made products as possible while trying to minimize the amount of processing or actual physical distance between me and the source of my food and cutting out as many unnecessary dietary variables when I can because I'm trying to understand my body and its relation to food better and I can't isolate and identify the effects of many additives in my food on my personal well being so it's better to work with as minimal variables as possible while still enjoying my food".

As you can see, "clean eating" rolls off the tongue a little better. My reasons are mostly because a.) I love cooking and feel I should do more at-home meals, b.) I an scientifically-minded and in the process of trying to understand the effect that different types of food have on my physical, emotional and mental well being and therefore unexpected or unquantifiable variables can skew my data, and c.) I want to try to eat more locally grown/produced foods and that means more basic ingredients like local honey, locally caught fish, local bakeries, local produce, etc.

And ultimately I want to broaden my food horizon, and eating traditional fast food or "junk food" fare only encourages me to stay inside my own preset food boundaries because I" trust" them more. I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with white sugar in general or with earring things like Wendys, but for me, unless I make a goal to step outside of those areas on a regular basis than I fall into a routine that leaves me ultimately restricted and unhappy. I think it's bull **** when people try to say their way of eating is better than anyone else's, though, so I understand that the way I'm trying to eat might make someone els miserable or feel restricted in the same way that too much prepackaged food makes ME feel miserable and restricted.

Physically I've found that eating more like how I've outlined has really strong effects on my mental stability. When I eat that way, I'm less prone to bloodsugar crashes and I'll feel physically stronger/more stable (which makes me feel emotionally more stable). I have no clue if it's having any more or less effect on physical changes than if i aye the normal SAD with the same caloric deficit, but that's not why I do it anyway, so I don't really care about that.

This can't be said any better!
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    I didn't read the whole thread but this is my reasoning.
    I was overweight, true, but felt like I carried it well. However, i had so many health issues. I had debilitating migraines all the time, nausea, grogginess, digestive problems, you name it. I went to the doctor and he said I had to lose weight.
    I started noticing patterns, that white sugar and white flour were harming me. Sugar was making me feel really really bad and I was having too much of it.
    I started replacing foods and modifying my strategy on food dramatically to reduce sugar. Sugar was fine from fruit alone (actually made me feel great to get sugar from fruit) where possible. I even make sure to buy breads with 0 grams of sugar, and a short list of ingredients.
    The bottom line is, the more my diet sticks to fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins and healthy fats, the better I feel over all, the less hungry I am and the less cravings I have.
    But because I love love baked goods, I stray from my diet. When it gets to a point where I've strayed too far, all my symptoms come back. It's not the end of the world, but that is a good sign for me to go back to good habits.

Better food = feeling better

Better tasting food = fun

Somewhere between is where you find a happy medium
  • fitgrl124
    fitgrl124 Posts: 6 Member
    Clean eating to me is healthy grains (brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat flour, oats), lots of fruits and vegetables (frozen or fresh) and lots and lots of water!! I try healthy "clean" recipes from Tosca Reno's book, Clean Eating Magazine online and He and She Eat Clean Blog. All of the recipes that I have tried are very delicious! I would say just do the best that you can not to eat a lot of boxed foods and you'll be on your way to a healthier lifestyle!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    To me, Cleaning eating means to eat 1-ingredient (natural) foods as much as possible and practical.
    I started by making my own foods
    Erm, how is 'making' your own foods a start towards eating 1 ingredient foods?
    Surely trying to avoid 'processed' means no "making"?a
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    I eat clean.

with the exception on packaged foods, I wash my meat, veggies and fruits before cooking.and eating.them
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Hi people who consider themselves clean eaters, or are working toward eating more clean.
    I'm not entirely sure if I fit the bill for what you're looking for, but I'll try to answer.
    What does eating clean mean for you?
    I'm not sure exactly what "clean" eating really is. Seems like everyone has their own definition, so I'll just put mine in.

I generally consider eating from-scratch meals using fresh whole ingredients (raw for frozen vegetables, fruits, and fresh meat) to be "eating clean." However, that definition is pretty loose and can be interpreted any number of ways.
    Why did you decide to eat this way?
    I didn't really "decide" per se. I just like good food, and I love cooking.
    Did you do it all at once, or did it evolve and how?
    I'm gradually improving my cooking skills, so it's a slow process. I used to eat takeout or fast food almost every day (at least once per day but often 2-3 times per day). I slowly started cooking more, and I realized that I really enjoyed it so I just kept going.
    What challenges or setbacks have you faced in your chosen way of eating. What solutions did you find?
    I get lazy sometimes and reach for convenience food, but I'm trying to avoid having it in my house now as much as possible and to prep foods in advance on the weekends.
    Are you trying to make any changes?
    Sure. I'm trying to figure out ways to prep food and keep it stored for long periods of time in the freezer so I can reach for something homemade instead of fast food or convenience foods.
    What results to you think you diet has led to? Physically or lifestyle wise.
    I've lost a lot of weight, but that was due to calorie restriction not necessarily "eating clean." I will say that I enjoy eating more when it's food I've made and generally feel more satisfied throughout the day than if I just splurge on convenience food. I also have developed a distaste for any microwave dishes (blech).
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    I thought i was eating clean before, but then took it up a notch and really decided to eat clean, and ive never felt better or with more energy.

Protein selections:
    Lean beef, eggs, seafood, chicken

Carb selections:
    No salt canned diced tomato, sweet potato plain, kashi go lean high protein cereal, oatmeal, spinach, any green veg, almond milk, ezekiel bread

Fats:
    Peanut butter, some cheese, oils

I dumped the protein powder 2 yrs ago and feel better. I like eating quantity so eating cleaner allows for more volume of food. Oh and, i get 30-50g fiber in this diet, what a joy that experience is!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Carb selections:
    No salt canned diced tomato, ....kashi go lean high protein cereal, oatmeal, .....almond milk, ezekiel bread

Fats:
    I'm guessing you don't go for the 'no processed' or 'not packaged' definitions that so many try to use to describe their 'clean' eating :).

I dumped the protein powder and felt better.
    Turns out I'm intolerant to it. I didn't choose to cut out other foods I'm not intolerant to, however :).
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    I'd never heard of a macro before joining this site. I'm going to look at what those are about next.
    Macro nutrients are your basic Protein, Carbs and Fat.
    After calories, I would suggest they are next most important thing to focus on when planning what you are going to eat.
    Clean eating in my opinion is eating 100% natural.
    What makes a food 'natural'.

What if I make burgers mincing my own steak, then add 8 herbs and spices. Is that clean.
    What if I stick two more herbs in and put a label on it? Is that not clean?
    What if I buy the exact same thing from a shop?

Of course all of that is clean. It's not actually about the number of ingredients - many use 5 or 10 or whatever as a kind of quick guide for when they're buying from a grocery store; the truth is it could have 2 ingredients and still not be clean.
    The bottom line for most basic theories on clean eating is that if all the ingredients are natural (meaning it can be found in nature - it came from an animal, plant, fungi, etc.) then it's natural. Doesn't matter if you hand made it or bought it, or put a label on it. It's ALL about the ingredients - labels and handmaking vs. buying are again just quick guides; most things you'd buy in a grocery store that have labels won't be clean, so it's a handy tool for those learning or who just need to do it quickly.
    So for your examples, steak, herbs, spices, etc. are all natural - they are made entirely from plants and animals. Some of the higher/stricter end of clean might look for only organic, grass fed, pesticide and hormone free, etc. in their meat and produce, but for the basics of clean eating it's really just about whether or not your ingredients are natural. I don't care if there's 50 ingredients; if they're all natural, it's clean.
  • darkangel45422
    So why do you keep using the word?
    EVERYTHING is a 'chemical'. So saying 'chemicals or other substances' doesn't really make sense.
    Chemical or other chemicals would make more sense; except rather unnecessary, of course!

Erm; last I heard, butter is NOT naturally found in potatoes :laugh:.
    Butter IS made 'artificially' by men, or more likely machines.

The 'cutting an apple' argument begs for a description of where you draw the line for processing. That's a start. What about pressing the apple? What about cooking it? What about stewing it to make apple sauce? What if the apple is a not so sweet variety and you add more sugar to make it up to the sweetness of another apple?

As I may have asked already; if salt is made in the lab has the exact same make up as 'natural' salt, si one worse than the other?

I don't have a problem with people promoting a specific way of eating on a faith rather than scientific basis, which this seems to be, to me. Perhaps if the proponents of it could clearly answer questions, it would help me to understand the reasoning behind it.

I don't think it's purely faith or scientifically based. I'm sure a lot of people who eating clean or try to eat more natural foods over highly processed foods are doing it solely because they've done the extensive scientific research to be sure each and every food is backed up as being healthy. I think there's a certain amount of common sense involved in knowing that, for instance, the apple you grew in your garden with absolutely no chemicals (and I'm using the common vernacular meaning of chemicals, not the strict scientific meaning of the word) is going to be better for your overall health than a Twinkie. There's been enough research into various man-made food additives, colourings, flavourings, etc. to suggest that at best it's not at all harmful to cut them out, and at worst that they're poisoning us and responsible for a lot of various diseases and disorders. Part of eating clean is going to be about chance and belief - do you want to take the chance that in 5 years they discover the man-made ingredient in your Twinkie is actually causing cancer/schizophrenia/autism/etc.? There's little to no chance of that happening when you're talking clean foods because humans have been eating those for thousands of years and there's a lot more research about them. By and large natural foods are things humans are meant to be ingesting; with the man-made added chemicals that we've taken to adding to our processed foods, we don't know, and in fact may have turned out to be extremely harmful (trans fat, for instance, or many of the food colourings used in children's cereal, etc.).

I won't accuse you of nitpicking as you've said before you're not, but that you're just trying to understand what people are saying. I find that harder to believe because unless you're from a different area of the world or language where these terms aren't commonly used in the common vernacular with a slightly different meaning than their strict scientific definition, you would perfectly understand what is meant by processed, and chemicals, etc. But I'll try to explain for you anyway.

Processing to me in this context largely relates to adding chemicals to food - whether it's preservatives or colouring or 'taste' enhancers like MSG, trans fat, etc. I differentiate this from natural processing like cooking, or smoking, or preserving something by pickling it, etc. because when you do that kind of natural processing you're using only natural ingredients (again, things that are naturally occurring and intended to be ingested in some way by a human). A good way of thinking about it would be to ask if you could have done this before the industrial age, or back in Greco-Roman times, etc. (basically before we started adding unnatural chemicals, etc. to our food). Smoking, pickling, salting, cooking, etc. are all natural processes that occurred before this time, so generally I'd consider them clean (not to say all ways of doing so are clean; if you're pickling it in unnatural chemicals or smoking it with unnatural chemicals, for instance, then it's no longer clean).

Chemicals, additives, etc. in this context (their common vernacular meaning) again generally refers to things not naturally found or meant to be ingested. So for instance, trans fat is not natural - it doesn't grow or come from a living animal, etc. They are things entirely created by humans, whose effects on the human body and our health may not be fully known because most have only been invented the last few decades (since before that we largely lacked the technology for this kind of thing). They're added to increase the longevity of the product, or its stability, or its ease of use, or to make something high carb low carb but still tasty, etc.

As for your salt example, that to me is an uncertain area. I'd have to know a lot more about the product and the way it was made (and probably understand a hell of a lot more about science lol) to be able to really be able to tell if for me it would still be as natural and clean as normal salt or if it'd be different. Either way I'd probably chose the natural salt over it because again, you're not taking the chance, and since normal salt's so easy to get why bother taking the chance on the uncertain man-made salt?

Really, there's been more than enough scientific research done on various chemicals - whether pesticides, or food additives, or whatever - to know that a lot of what is added to our food is not healthy for us. But with a lot of the chemicals we just don't know; there's not been enough time or research to establish whether they're ok or not. And personally I'd rather (as much as is realistically possible for me) eat the natural foods than the unnatural ones, because I'm taking less of a chance that next year they'll discover the unnatural food is gonna kill me. Doesn't mean I never eat the unnatural food, just means that I try to be aware of what I'm putting in my body and that includes the non-natural products in my food too. And I personally choose to avoid that stuff as much as is possible for me because 1) there's a lot of scientific evidence that a lot of it is crappy for your health and 2) there's very little scientific evidence that any of it is good or at the very least NOT dangerous at all to my health.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member
    I thought i was eating clean before, but then took it up a notch and really decided to eat clean, and ive never felt better or with more energy.

Protein selections:
    Lean beef, eggs, seafood, chicken

Carb selections:
    No salt canned diced tomato, sweet potato plain, kashi go lean high protein cereal, oatmeal, spinach, any green veg, almond milk, ezekiel bread

Fats:

I dumped the protein powder 2 yrs ago and feel better. I like eating quantity so eating cleaner allows for more volume of food. Oh and, i get 30-50g fiber in this diet, what a joy that experience is!
    Wow, with all that processed food and hormone injected meat and chicken and almond milk, wtf is that anyway.........bread and kashi, now there's a good marketing campaign.......funny the definitions of clean can vary, right, but glad you find this an improvement from your previous diet. :bigsmile:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    The bottom line for most basic theories on clean eating is that if all the ingredients are natural (meaning it can be found in nature - it came from an animal, plant, fungi, etc.) then it's natural. Doesn't matter if you hand made it or bought it, or put a label on it. It's ALL about the ingredients - labels and handmaking vs. buying are again just quick guides; most things you'd buy in a grocery store that have labels won't be clean, so it's a handy tool for those learning or who just need to do it quickly.
    So for your examples, steak, herbs, spices, etc. are all natural - they are made entirely from plants and animals. Some of the higher/stricter end of clean might look for only organic, grass fed, pesticide and hormone free, etc. in their meat and produce, but for the basics of clean eating it's really just about whether or not your ingredients are natural. I don't care if there's 50 ingredients; if they're all natural, it's clean.

Thanks for giving your definition, but I feel like I've heard about 10 definitions at this point, and not yet one that explains to me why this term--which I find grating and self-righteous--exists. Why not just say you try to eat whole foods or some such? In particular many seem to want to use "clean" to mean healthy in a broader sense.

In a lot of ways I personally eat in a way that could be defined as clean (but not by those who would mean by it eliminating meat or restaurant food or wheat or all sugar or frozen foods or anything in a package, such as smoked salmon or sardines, etc.). But I don't feel compelled to call the food that diverges from my usual "dirty" or to create some purity thing around food, which is what I think this really comes down to. Plus, in reading these arguments, sure there are those who explain that fast food or packaged foods fit in their life on a more routine basis, but it seems more like most on one side are saying it's an occasional thing, they are concerned with eating nutrient dense foods, but don't think it's healthy to eliminate foods and demonize them vs. others mostly saying they try to set a particular way but don't all the time and often really didn't in the past. So if you look at how people actually eat and not the labels they like, it seems to me the differences are overstated.

For what it's worth, I don't eat most packaged food because I don't like it. I prefer my own cooking. I also prefer small local restaurants, supposedly authentic ethnic joints, and the kinds of restaurants that like to tell you the farms they buy from to fast food. It's cause I'm into food, probably. And yet these were all true when I was managing to get 100 lbs overweight, so labeling my preferences "clean" and patting myself on the head would be pretty stupid.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    "Clean eating" for keto: fats and lean meats
    Not considered "clean" to a vegetarian.

"Clean eating" for a vegetarian": lots of whole fruits and vegetables.
    Not considered "clean" to anti sugar opponents. Yes even fruit sugar.

We could go on and on, but as mentioned, where someone thinks they eat "clean" someone else will opine that they aren't because they disagree with their diet.

I say **** it. Just eat nutrient dense food, meet YOUR daily macros and micros, stay within calorie range and if there's room left over eat whatever the **** you want to fulfill it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    "Clean eating" for keto: fats and lean meats
    Not considered "clean" to a vegetarian.

"Clean eating" for a vegetarian": lots of whole fruits and vegetables.
    Not considered "clean" to anti sugar opponents. Yes even fruit sugar.

We could go on and on, but as mentioned, where someone thinks they eat "clean" someone else will opine that they aren't because they disagree with their diet.

I say **** it. Just eat nutrient dense food, meet YOUR daily macros and micros, stay within calorie range and if there's room left over eat whatever the **** you want to fulfill it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Why worry about it!

If you eat clean - eat to your definition.

If you don't eat clean - what does it matter what other people call it?

I personally don't use the term clean eating, but I am happy for others to and don't feel the need to question their reasoning for calling it clean or not.

In fact the only time I would ask someone to quantify what clean eating means to them, is if I've invited them around for dinner!
  • darkangel45422

Thanks for giving your definition, but I feel like I've heard about 10 definitions at this point, and not yet one that explains to me why this term--which I find grating and self-righteous--exists. Why not just say you try to eat whole foods or some such? In particular many seem to want to use "clean" to mean healthy in a broader sense.

In a lot of ways I personally eat in a way that could be defined as clean (but not by those who would mean by it eliminating meat or restaurant food or wheat or all sugar or frozen foods or anything in a package, such as smoked salmon or sardines, etc.). But I don't feel compelled to call the food that diverges from my usual "dirty" or to create some purity thing around food, which is what I think this really comes down to. Plus, in reading these arguments, sure there are those who explain that fast food or packaged foods fit in their life on a more routine basis, but it seems more like most on one side are saying it's an occasional thing, they are concerned with eating nutrient dense foods, but don't think it's healthy to eliminate foods and demonize them vs. others mostly saying they try to set a particular way but don't all the time and often really didn't in the past. So if you look at how people actually eat and not the labels they like, it seems to me the differences are overstated.

For what it's worth, I don't eat most packaged food because I don't like it. I prefer my own cooking. I also prefer small local restaurants, supposedly authentic ethnic joints, and the kinds of restaurants that like to tell you the farms they buy from to fast food. It's cause I'm into food, probably. And yet these were all true when I was managing to get 100 lbs overweight, so labeling my preferences "clean" and patting myself on the head would be pretty stupid.

Well I can't speak to why the term exists - I didn't create it, but since it seems to generally describe my thoughts on food (though as has been said there are of course different ways to go about clean eating) I'll use it because it's faster than describing what I do (less processed food, focus more on natural nutrient dense food, etc. etc. etc.). That's what labels are for really; instead of having to be longwinded every time you try to describe how you think about food or go about eating, you can use a single word or phrase and people will get the general idea. Same with vegetarian - there are dozens of different ways to be vegetarian, but if you say you're veggie, people at least get the general idea.

Personally I don't find the term clean eating self-righteous or grating at all. In fact the only people I've seen describe food that doesn't fit most clean eating plans as dirty are those who are against clean eating. Similarly, the only ones I've seen BE self-righteous in their views (religiously fanatical, to use ideas that have popped up in this thread) are those who are against clean eating. That's not to say some clean eaters AREN'T obnoxious, self-righteous and highly annoying - I'm sure some are. Just like some non-clean eaters are obnoxious, self-righteous and highly annoying. It's more of a people thing than a clean eater or non-clean eater thing.

Again, I personally don't use clean eating as a way to pat myself on the head, or be ignorant of the other factors that contribute to my health or weight, or anything like that. I use it as a way of easily explaining to others the basic gist of how I think about and approach food - I'm trying to be as healthy as I realistically can for myself, and for me that means more natural food, less processed / highly added to food. I do think the differences between clean eaters and those who don't call themselves clean eaters but who try to eat generally healthy are very few - in fact I'd say a lot of people who've bashed clean eating could themselves be called clean eating, just as you said you could probably be called a clean eater. Which is why I don't quite understand why some have issues with the term - if all it means is trying to eat as healthy as you can (for your own circumstances), and in this case defining healthy more in terms of how natural the food is vs. being processed / man-made, etc. then what's to dislike? Sure, you could call it healthy - healthy however has even more definitions than clean. It could be solely counting calories and eating nothing but processed foods; to someone that will be healthy eating. So to me, clean eating is a form of healthy eating, just slightly more defined than saying clean. Whole foods works too, as does natural, etc. Why is natural or whole foods any better of a label than clean eating though?

To me (and again I didn't invent the term nor know how it came about) clean was used because the main focus isn't necessarily on the whole natural foods but on avoiding the unnatural chemicals, additives, etc. Does that mean originally they were thinking of those chemicals as dirty? Maybe. I personally don't have an issue calling pesticides, hormones, food colouring additives, etc. dirty, but I don't see the foods they're in as dirty, if that makes any sense lol. We (or at least I) aren't trying to avoid the unhealthier foods, we're just trying to avoid certain ingredients in them that we view as harmful or potentially harmful to our health.

If your only issue with clean eating is the name, then is it really worth fighting about? If you have an issue with self-righteousness, purists, demonizing food, etc. then go after the people who actually do that. So far I haven't seen many (or any off the top of my head) clean eaters doing any of that; most are happy for people to do whatever works for them, indulge in treats when it suits them, and don't bash others for eating something that isn't perfectly clean and healthy. So it's hard to label that way of eating as those things when the members generally don't do that.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I dumped the protein powder and felt better.
    Turns out I'm intolerant to it. I didn't choose to cut out other foods I'm not intolerant to, however :).

I chose to cut out food that were not helping me reach my goal as well a those i'm intolerant too. I'm trying to not use protein powder as much as I used too. I can get a lot of protein without it, but the prep work is huge . I know there will be days when i'm just lazy and use it.

I agree with darkangel4542 and tennisdude above. I don't say i eat clean anywhere else but on here, because it's easier to say that then it is to describe my diet to someone in detail.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    dawn.jpg
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    cinamon are both 'uncessary' 'man made' chemicals

Cinnamon is not a "man made" chemical.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I didn't create it, but since it seems to generally describe my thoughts on food (though as has been said there are of course different ways to go about clean eating) I'll use it because it's faster than describing what I do (less processed food, focus more on natural nutrient dense food, etc. etc. etc.). That's what labels are for really; instead of having to be longwinded every time you try to describe how you think about food or go about eating, you can use a single word or phrase and people will get the general idea.

Hmm. I don't agree because it seems to me that at this point saying "I eat clean" doesn't really describe how you eat (if you wanted to do that), because people still would have no real idea what you mean by it. I mean, even for those who aren't using it to mean "consistent with my paleo diet" or the like, you still see a wide variety between something like what you do vs. one of the not more than 5 ingredients things vs. organic only, etc. To think of a context where it might be useful, if I asked a dinner guest (in advance) if he had any special dietary needs and he said "I'm a vegetarian," I could work with that or perhaps ask a clarifying question ("that means eggs and dairy are okay then?"). If he said "I eat clean," frankly I don't know what to do with that.

Mostly, and maybe this is just me, it feels like too many people these days need to follow some special diet with a name, as if that made them special, and that seems weird. Why? I mean, I get having allergies and sensitivities, I get being vegetarian or vegan (it's usually an ethical thing, there are specific foods you will want to avoid and a lot of people will want to make sure they have an option for such people), I get keeping kosher, etc., but saying "I eat clean" doesn't seem to have any purpose but to suggest that other people who don't so identify do not, that they eat in some inferior fashion. It's inherent in the name--the definition of the foods they eat as clean and others as not.

For whatever reason I don't get this from just saying "oh, I try to eat in a healthy fashion" or "I like to focus on getting lots of nutrients" or "I eat whole foods" or whatever, since it (a) doesn't imply that your way is the only correct way (there are lots of different ways to eat healthy, it's not so focused on individual food items being good or bad); and (b) doesn't fall into this need to label every particular way to eat with a special name.
    Personally I don't find the term clean eating self-righteous or grating at all. In fact the only people I've seen describe food that doesn't fit most clean eating plans as dirty are those who are against clean eating.

But it's implicit in the name. If some foods are "clean" those that are not are by necessity "unclean." If you follow a special diet of "clean eaters," the implied claim is that those who do not eat unclean. If I say I try to eat healthy, that doesn't imply anything about other people, although I imagine there are plenty of people who would say they don't worry about the health benefits of their food (I know some), whereas the same people would probably be weirded out by the notion that their food was unclean.

Sure, who cares? I don't much. If people I know offline tell me they are eating clean I might ignore it or ask questions about the specifics and pump up my favorite farmer's market or vegetable preparations, depending on my mood (while internally disapproving of the need to use a culty name for normal eating). But it's just amazed me since starting to read here at how common the need to label one's eating or subscribe to a specific type of diet is, and I don't get it. I also don't think it's all that useful for newcomers to be told that they have to eat clean to have success, vs. them figuring out over time that they may be more satiated if they shift their diets around (assuming they aren't eating lots of nutrient dense foods already). This is especially so since even when we get away from "clean eating" and talk about healthy diets overall, people have different ideas about what such ideas should contain, and it's going to be individual to some degree.
    Similarly, the only ones I've seen BE self-righteous in their views (religiously fanatical, to use ideas that have popped up in this thread) are those who are against clean eating.

I haven't noticed people being against what you actually do, vs. perhaps the claim that processed food is inherently bad for everyone or is inconsistent with a goal of fat loss. Like I keep saying, it seems to me that most of the moderate people describe their own diets in ways that would be defined as clean eating by those who like that term. Not all, but this idea that there's some kind of opposition to people not eating fast food 2 out of 3 meals seems odd. Maybe I haven't read those threads.
    I'm trying to be as healthy as I realistically can for myself, and for me that means more natural food, less processed / highly added to food. I do think the differences between clean eaters and those who don't call themselves clean eaters but who try to eat generally healthy are very few - in fact I'd say a lot of people who've bashed clean eating could themselves be called clean eating, just as you said you could probably be called a clean eater. Which is why I don't quite understand why some have issues with the term - if all it means is trying to eat as healthy as you can (for your own circumstances), and in this case defining healthy more in terms of how natural the food is vs. being processed / man-made, etc. then what's to dislike?

I agree with most of this and we probably have similar ideas about how we want to eat. As for my reaction to the label I hope I've explained that some above (if we weren't specifically talking about the topic I wouldn't care). But I guess I see labels here as kind of unnecessary and divisive, and in this case without the added benefit of being descriptive. Moreover, to go back to your own analogy of vegetarians, if someone is vegetarian, that means they don't eat meat. Never. If they do, they violated their diet. So claiming to be a clean eater, to me, vs. just trying to eat healthy (as you define it) or mostly whole foods or whatever does sound like certain foods are being eliminated, demonized, not that one is focusing on an overall balance of foods.
  • ddino
    ddino Posts: 12 Member
    We try to eat "clean"... though it's probably not as clean as some.. maybe 80/20.

Our goal is to try and reduce the amount of man-made additives in the food we eat. We are also pescetarians (?? We eat fish/seafood but not other meat). We want to eat food as close to how it came out of the ground (or off the tree or out of the ocean) as possible.

I buy very little pre-packaged food. When I do, it's usually in the form of snacks for the kids (cause it's just too stinkin' hard to get a 2 year old to consistently eat like a little adult). So we eat mainly self-prepared meals that I make out of the fruits, vegetables, and spices we buy.

Some things that I always buy that are "processed": pasta, tuna fish, the previously mentioned kid snacks, occasional soda (Diet Coke), cheese, milk... all this stuff that would be a major PITA for me to make it home made, really. But I do try to be conscious of the ingredients in these items and get the ones with the least amount of crap in them. Except for the soda, there's no changing the crap in that.

Since eating this way, I feel better, more clear-headed, less lethargic. Could it all be psychosomatic? Absolutely. But I'm also losing weight eating healthier like I am, so I'm going to stick with it.