Running Shoe Brands

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Howdy! Anyone have a particular brand of running shoe they are partial to? I have always been an ASICS gal but I'm going shopping tonight and I'm curious if I'm missing out on something better...
    "Better" is relative.

I can't stand Asics, personally.

Everyone needs someone specific to their stride and foot, etc. I like Brooks.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My first pair were Brooks.... I loved them, had them over a year - my doggie chewed them up a bit, so next time around I ordered the same (close to the same) kind on-line and got them a little cheaper than I would have if I'd gone to the store (and free shipping, to boot!).
  • _AwesomeSauce_
    Options
    Nothing beats Asics...
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Asics or Sauconys are my favorites.
  • SavinnaMarie
    SavinnaMarie Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using nike revolution 2 and they are pretty sturdy and fit me and my activities well. I use it for workouts too since I'm saving and don't have that much money to buy another shoe for training.

it's still up to you though! some shoes work well for others and some don't so I suggest that you visit your nearest athletic shoe shop or wherever you plan to buy it and try it on and see if it fits you well and makes sure it doesn't feel uncomfortable or painful when you run, walk or do other activities cause if it does, then it's probably the wrong pair for you
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You can't count on the size of shoes that are made overseas (China) to be uniform; even the same variety in a different color can fit differently.

I don't order online anymore; I try them on at Modell's or at a discount place like TJ Maxx. I do crosstraining and I am partial to Nike and Reebox right now.
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    Saucony is my favored brand. I've been all over the place with trying the different brands and Saucony feels right. Don't know how to explain it more than that, comfort level for the exercise I do, they feel right.
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love Asics, and I've heard a lot of good stuff about Brooks, but never used them. I'm a big fan of New Balance shoes; they were my first brand, and the brand that I've had the last two times. NEVER buy Adidas running shoes; I and others have found them to be a bit too heavy or flat.
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Also, if there's a certain brand/model that you currently use and really like, just look for that online and in various store catalogs. The older models are often much cheaper. I got a pair of Asics trail shoes for $15 a couple years ago simply because they were so old.
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Get fitted. Everyone's feet and stride are different, so what one person swears by could be nothing but pain and blisters on someone else.

My friend loves Brooks. I passionatetly hate them. I prefer Nike and Newtons for road running.

This exactly. I'm an outside heel striker who loves Saucony Triumphs on my feet. The Brooks felt a little weird on my feet and Nike toe boxes are too narrow for me. My running store does a gait analysis free of charge.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I've tried so many (New Balance, Nike, Brooks, Asics, Saucony, Reebok) and I finally found that I really love the Nike Pegasus. I've been running in those for four years, but it's probably time I get re-fitted. As others have stated, any brand might work for you, but you'll probably find a couple you prefer over others. Also, keep in mind that each line will have different shoes to accommodate different things (i.e. neutral, over pronation, under pronation, etc), so you may want to check out other shoe lines within a brand.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Nike Pegasus
  • DaniMarie180
    Options
    Get fitted. Everyone's feet and stride are different, so what one person swears by could be nothing but pain and blisters on someone else.

My friend loves Brooks. I passionatetly hate them. I prefer Nike and Newtons for road running.

Getting fitted is a must! I LOVE Brooks -- they have a larger toe box and help with my flat feet. I really hate Nike! See, everyone is different. Get a fitting! :flowerforyou:
  • saspears
    saspears Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm a Brooks supporter too! But think you've got to figure out what works best for you.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Though remember they are only likely to recommend models that they sell because all in all they are salesmen
    Well, yes, of course. They will only give you shoes to try on that they carry and have in stock in your size - they can't fit you for shoes they don't have. It's up to you to decide if they are right for you or not. If none of them work, go to the next store.

I brought a pair of Nike at a big box store a few years ago. They were comfy, but when I started running in them, they killed my ankles. I went to a running shoe shop: they looked at my gait (in my old shoes), listened to my problem (and budget), then brought out a selection (maybe a dozen total) to try. There was no pressure to buy any specific brand and I felt the salesman was honestly trying to help get me into a pair that was right for ME. I ended up with a pair of Mizuno, which have been great.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I go to the box stores quote often for other things, so the last time I bought new shoes from a running store I double checked ****'s sporting goods. The prices were within $3. This may not be universal, but the store here is now a chain and growing yearly. They have more expensive shoes available at the running store, but makes and models do match in price between them and the box stores.

Most running stores are owned by good people as well who want you for their customers forever. They treat you right generally (personal experience) to make that happen and good return policies have made me a permanent customer.
  • johe28
    johe28 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Getting fitted is the way to go. I have ran in New Balance, Nike and Asics and have had different results.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I vouch for the going to a running specialty store to get fitted and gait analysis.

With that said, I did get my ASICS Gel Keyano 19's ($120 shoes) at Burlington Coat Factory for only $50.
    The Gel-Keyano 20's were just coming out at that time. These are high support shoes.

I also got my Nike Lunar-Eclipse 2's at the Nike Outlet Mall for only $65 (normally about $100). These are lighter shoes but offer less support. I ran my 2 races so far in these.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Yes. Get fitted. I tried to run in Asics. Epic Fail. Moved on to Books. They were do-able but my feet were unhappy at the end of a run. Third time is the charm, right? I am in Hoka's now and my feet, knees, hips...everything is very, very happy!
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoes-like-mine

put your current model in there, and this can recommend similar type shoes if you are happy with the feel of your current shoes.

Awesome link! Thanks for the tip. I like being able to see which shoes from different companies are made to address similar issues since I am already pretty familiar with my on gait pattern.