Over 40 Fitness

Options
Hi
I'm 45 and have been struggling. Seems that 1200 calories is leaving me literally starving, but when I upped my intake, I gained weight. Now I have extra pounds and they seem to be gathering in my mid-section. I read that 40+ people tend to gain in the belly, and wonder if anyone else has/is experienced this, and what you did to fight the flab. I have been going to yoga and started light weight training *machines at the Y* and want to get in shape, but can't find the motivation to push forward. Stress is killing me lately so I should be killing it at the gym too, but its just not working out that way. I keep reaching for that bottle of wine although I know that won't help. What I'm really looking to do is kick start my metabolism, and feel good. I don't even care if I lose weight anymore I just want to be healthier and stronger. Any tips? Thanks for listening :)

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I upped my exercise and lost. You also have to eat good, real clean foods. It's not easy !
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I also have to stay at or around 1200 calories to lose. Try eating more protein, it will fill you up longer. I used to have a drink (or 2 or 3 ) every night because that was how I dealt with my stress. It is still an effort but, I now try and do something else in the evenings to relax me, shower/hot tub/ walk/ read in bed/ hot tea are some of the things I do now. The red wine will definittely put weight on you, especially in the mid-section. I never thought I could give up alcohol during the week, but I find it to be easier now! I have also found when I don't drink, I sleep much better and in general feel so much better all day! Good Luck!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I just turned 46. :drinker:

Unless you are very short, 1200 likely isn't enough for you, which is why it leaves you starving. Been there! It wasn't enough for me either - my BMR is over 1400, so I eat above that. In fact I eat and lose eating 1800-2000+ cals a day - been doing so for over two years and have had my best success since then.

Have a read through this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13 Great info there and links to tools for calculating how much you should be eating.

As for upping cals and gaining - if you've been eating low cals for awhile and then increase, you will see a slight gain at first - the body has to adjust to the new intake. Sometimes it can take 4-6 weeks of consistency to see results, but if your numbers are figured correctly, you will see progress.

For exercise, if your aim is to be stronger and you have access to heavy weights, check out New Rules Of Lifting for Women (can get it at most libraries or order online) or Stronglifts 5x5 (google it). Or if you want at-home workouts with dumbbells, check out FitnessBlender.com for a great variety of free video workouts.

Edited to add: I still eat pizza, burgers, drink beer & wine, have desserts and fancy coffees - they just fit into my daily goals. Finding the right number of cals has been key for me - this is sustainable for life, a way I can eat forever, losing the fat and keeping it off. :smile:
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring your food to know what you are really at or guessing?

Have you run your TDEE and BMR to know where you Should be?

Belly fat gathers more with menopause, per my doc. I've Always held my fat in my belly thought.
    Lifting more weights is good for us as we age.

I'm 48, so I understand!

Feel free to friend me if you'd like.

I also do have to stay around 1200 calories because I'm so darn short! :(
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am 41 years old and lose weight on 1800 calories a day...that is a 400 calorie a day deficet for me.

There is absolutely no reason you shouldn't be losing weight on 1400 calories a day.

I personally don't always gain just on my mid section..for me it's all over...

I have lost 4.5inches off my chest and waist in 10months, 4 inches off my bra band and natural waist, and 3 inches off my hips.

As we age our metabolism can slow but you can counter that with exercise. 10 months ago my maintenance was 2000 calories...I have been lifting weights for 7 months it is now about 2200...

The key to make Calorie in vs calorie out work is logging accurately which means weighing your intake. Before I used my kitchen scale I would have swore I only lost on 1300 calories but low and behold...I can lose on 1800 calories if I weigh my solids...and I am not underestimating my food intake.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I am 40 yrs old and love Jillian Micheal's workouts. She has a variety of workouts ranging from 20 to 60 minutes. I really like how she involves cardio with some strength training with hand weights. You can go as light or as heavy as you want.

You can find some workouts on youtube and vimeo.com for free. I have also bought several at Walmart for $9 or less on ebay.

If you don't have one already purchase a heart rate monitor. Its a great tool to see how many calories you burn during exercise. Its also a good motivator too!

A food scale is a great tool, as well. It really helps you understand portion sizes and can aid in logging your food.

Good luck!! :smile:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm over 40 - I'd be seriously hangry at 1200 calories. Can't do it! I definitely agree it is harder to lose weight than when I was younger though.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I am 61 years old and thought I couldn't lose because my metabolism was slow. I even had my doctor test me, but everything came back negative. I know a lot of people on here say to up your calories, but it didn't work for me. I had to stay at 1200 calories until I hit goal. Then I was able to up it a bit for maintenance. I am often hungry, but find that when I stay away from junk food and try to stick to healthy natural foods (lots of fruits and veggies), I feel satisfied longer. That doesn't mean I deprive myself of sweets, but it does mean that I take them in moderation. As a matter of fact, portion control has been the most important key to my successful weight loss. As for exercise, even after several years, I still have to force myself to get started, but after I finish, I always feel better. An added benefit is that I don't feel the urge to graze as much on days when I exercise. I try and switch it up so I don't get bored (alternate TM with circuit training). I won't give you advice, as you have to find what works for you, but drinking lots of water has been very helpful to me. You CAN DO THIS!!!! We all support you! Good luck.:happy:
  • idojpdx
    idojpdx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Oh, I understand, OP. But it didn't happen to me in my early 40s. It took a little longer.

I'm 51, not yet menopausal, and I didn't have a problem with what you describe until after age 45. But I sure do now. I had a baby 6 weeks before I turned 45 and could not get my weight under control after that. Up until then, I could lose weight at 1,600 calories with moderate exercise, but now I have to stick to 1,200 net and exercise 30-45 minutes a day for at least five days a week, which is what I can manage on my schedule. I do cardio some days, and work with weights on others. I weigh everything and eat protein and vegetables for the most part, so I feel like I'm getting a lot of food and I'm not starving. I cut out processed flours and sugar, and limit alcohol. According to the body composition scale, I'm gaining muscle and losing body and visceral fat, but it's nowhere near as easy as it was even 10 years ago.

Everybody is different, of course, but for me, getting into my mid 40s turned it into a whole new ballgame where my weight is concerned, as well as where weight distributes on my body. A few years ago I put it on and took it off evenly, but now I'm losing my butt and thighs while my belly fat is much slower to respond.

It will happen. It's just a lot more work now.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and found I really need to limit those glasses of wine during the week in order to lose and keep it off. I gained 3 lbs over 2 weeks ago and it took me 2 full weeks to get it back off, I really think not drinking during the week made the difference.

My husband and I keep talking about how it seems like it's harder and more work to lose weight as we get older but the reality is our life isn't as hectic as it used to be. We only have one child at home now... we're not running here and there all week long to school/sport related kid activities like we did when we had 3 young children at home all involved in different activities. As our life has slowed down our pounds have crept up. I really feel that while age (and peri-menopause for me) is part of it... I also think our lack of activity plays a big role too.

Feel free to add me! Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    No way in a million years would I be okay on a 1200 calorie diet. I'm 41 and eat right around 2000 calories a day, 1650-1850 to lose (I like ranges, not hard and fast numbers).

Are you strength training?
  • palmerddj
    palmerddj Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have had the same list of issues, myself! Stress is a MAJOR cause for many of your syptoms. Try this. On a piece of paper, write down what you expect your weight / body composition should be, in statement form. Include the date you intend to observe this measurement, and what you will do to achieve it and something you are thankfull for. IE: On <date> I weigh <lbs> / at <BF%>. To achieve this goal, I will <fill in the blank>, while living in gratitude for <fill in the blank>.. Read this piece of paper "EVERY DAY", multiple times. This will help with the motivation. Next, be brutally honest with yourself, in evaluation of your metabolism and your willingness to take action, If you follow the guidelines of the provided tools in myfitnesspal, you should start to see a difference. Most importantly, if you are working hard on your fitness, you have to give yourself a chance to recover. Get as close as you can to 8 quality hours of sleep every night. Sorry for the long winded e-mail.

Steve :)

I followed this advice when given to me. I now have 3 triathlons under mybelt as a 50+er
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be 53 this year. When I hit perimenopause I began carrying more weight in my midsection. No matter what weight I am at now the difference between my waist and hip is never as great as it used to be.

I don't think I could eat only 1200 calories a day for long. Without exercise, I can lose on about 1400-1500 calories, but even that is too low for me to be satisfied.

My main motivators for exercise is health and wine. My chances of staying healthy as I age are much better if I do both aerobic and strength exercise, because I am at the age when most women lose bone and muscle at a greater rate. And I need the extra calories it burns to work wine into my diet regularly and still get enough other nutritious foods.

I don't know if any of that will be helpful to you, but my story is all I got. Good luck!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I am 61 years old and thought I couldn't lose because my metabolism was slow. I even had my doctor test me, but everything came back negative. I know a lot of people on here say to up your calories, but it didn't work for me. I had to stay at 1200 calories until I hit goal. Then I was able to up it a bit for maintenance. I am often hungry, but find that when I stay away from junk food and try to stick to healthy natural foods (lots of fruits and veggies), I feel satisfied longer. That doesn't mean I deprive myself of sweets, but it does mean that I take them in moderation. As a matter of fact, portion control has been the most important key to my successful weight loss. As for exercise, even after several years, I still have to force myself to get started, but after I finish, I always feel better. An added benefit is that I don't feel the urge to graze as much on days when I exercise. I try and switch it up so I don't get bored (alternate TM with circuit training). I won't give you advice, as you have to find what works for you, but drinking lots of water has been very helpful to me. You CAN DO THIS!!!! We all support you! Good luck.:happy:

This seems to be very common in women who are in their late 40's and up. I know this is exactly how my body works!
  • roxanethree
    roxanethree Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm 41. I eat 1800-2000 calories/day but I exercise every day. I run a few times/week, walk on the treadmill on the non-running days and lift weights from home 3x/week. I've been overweight all of my adult life, so I can't say if turning 40 made a difference since that is when I lost all my weight. :)
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Unless you are very petite and sedimentary 1200 sounds too low to me too. I'm 44, kick box and lift weights. I gain weight all over. Exercise, especially ones that put on muscle, really help. I have to push myself to weight train. I love kick boxing so its easy to get myself to go. I eat around 1700 calories a day.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Lift big weights. You probably won't believe me with the puppy pic, but it's true.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and my TDEE is 1660.
  • funsmile1234
    funsmile1234 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and most of my weight is in my middle. To kick up my metabolism I eat every two to three hours. I eat between 1350 and 1520 calorie a day but I eat a lot of food because most of my diet is lean meats, fruits and veggies and whole grains. I still have a junk food meal once a week and two desserts a week so that I don't feel I deprive myself. I also make mostly the same dishes I did before with healthier substitutes. I agree with the others here, you need to find a way to cut down on your stress. It builds cortisol mostly in your mid-section and causes weight gain. No matter what you do if you are stressed out all the time you will have a hard time losing weight.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    What?! Wine won't help? C'mon- it helps a little.

Doesn't everyone remember when you could skip dessert, and walk around the block a few times, and ten pounds fell off?
    I had a baby at 42, and the weight clung to me like a limpet.
    Now I eat mostly raw fruits and vegetables and a few raw nuts (to stave off hunger) and I still have to fight tooth and nail to lose half a pound.