How do you make your Quonia?

Options
ezloshead
ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
I like it on top of meat dishes and broiled so it's crunchy. And it's good with Italian seasonings (sans salt).

I've fallen in love with the stuff. Show me how you do it!

Replies

• NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I only made it once so far, but it was delicious! I cooked it on the stove, then then added mozzarella balls, edamame, chick peas, white beans, and I think kidney beans.

Very filling and tasteful! I didn't take pictures, so you'll have to use your imagination as to what it looked like :happy:
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I cook it in chicken broth then add various spices, but the usual is garlic powder and diced onion.

I also use it in place of rice for stuffed peppers.
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I never thought of adding mozz to it. I could make it taste like pizza! :D

And shoving some on top of a stuffed pepper is how I learned it's so good broiled. Chicken broth sounds yummy.
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Fresh mozz only :heart:

I didn't need to add any spices or anything, it was so tasteful as is!
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    + soy, butter or oil, LOTS of red pepper, black pepper, salt, and Cavender's Greek season. eat until i can't feel my mouth.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I usually make it into a salad. My favourite is a parsley quinoa salad. I mix it with a bunch of veggies and tons of parsley with a garlic mustard olive oil dressing. I like to bulk it up with some "cauliflower rice" and grated carrot.

I usually just cook it in chicken stock and use it in place of rice.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    In fact, I just had it for lunch today. I make mine in the rice cooker. I just add it with chicken broth. I always make a light crunchy layer on the bottom that is out of this world good. The broth give it a wonderful flavor. I don't add anything extra after, just eat it as is.
  • hei_ma_ma
    hei_ma_ma Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    What is Quonia?
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I cook mine with veggie broth, add in a handful of chopped cilantro or green onion and use it as a side dish or a main medium (i.e. like rice) for whatever else I want to mix in. Also is great cooked this way and tossed onto salads.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I like mine as a slightly warm Greek Salad

Kalmata Olives (chopped)

Feta Cheese

Diced cucumber, tomato, and red onion

Drizzle w/ olive oil

I usually have it w/ Charred Chicken skewers that I rub down with garlic, oregano, and mint (squeeze lemon over it after it's grilled)
  • Thom_Kat
    Thom_Kat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cook the quinoa in water and then add black beans, corn, cumin/garlic/etc & rotel or salsa. Could also throw in some chicken or lean ground meat. It tastes even better if you then bake it few minutes with some cheese on it. Mmm!
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    What is Quonia?

yep... my thoughts exactly! What am I missing?
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    What is Quonia?

yep... my thoughts exactly! What am I missing?

it is a high protein super grain....it kinda looks like couscous. Cooks in about 20 minutes like rice.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is : A seed bearing plant, like amaranth, from South America. It's gluten free, tastes a lot like peanuts (imho) and I believe high in protein. I eat mine with raw honey and raw peanut butter.
  • FunkyGranolaTree
    FunkyGranolaTree Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I dont :heart: Quonia... but all of these ideas are making me want to try it again!! thanks for the inspiration! :flowerforyou:
  • Deb_622
    Deb_622 Posts: 694
    Options
    In fact, I just had it for lunch today. I make mine in the rice cooker. I just add it with chicken broth. I always make a light crunchy layer on the bottom that is out of this world good. The broth give it a wonderful flavor. I don't add anything extra after, just eat it as is.

What broth/water to quinoa ratio do you use when you cook in your rice cooker? I've been wanting to try this, but I wasn't sure about the ratio...similar to white rice or brown? I find that brown usually needs a bit more water in my cooker...

Thanks!
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    I dont :heart: Quonia... but all of these ideas are making me want to try it again!! thanks for the inspiration! :flowerforyou:

When you make it do you rinse it first..... then toast it up in a skillet like vermicelli before you add the water to cook. It brings out the nutty flavor :happy:

I am not a fan of it by itself, but mixed with other flavors, or meat it is delish!

I make it in batches, and freeze it.

I have mixed in pancake, and muffin batters, and have eaten for breakfast like oatmeal. I just add my favorite things to it like cranberries, almond slivers, or dried coconut, a little almond milk...some brown sugar..:happy:

Sprinkle it on salads as a topper to get a little protein in there.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    My most recent hit was a quinoa veggie casserole I made for a potluck with friends. I boiled the quinoa with peeled and diced sweet potatoes, drained, added it to a mix with a can of corn and a can of peas (drained). The first time I did this recipe, I added greek yogurt and colby jack cheese, mixed with spices. The second time (for the potluck) I was all out of yogurt, so I blended a bit of hard tofu with water to get a creamy consistency, added shredded colby jack cheese and spices again. Then pile it into a baking dish, sprinkle with more cheese and breadcrumbs, bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 and voila!

I was surprised by how much my friends liked it (especially since they are not keen on tofu) but like I said, it was a hit!

I find quinoa super flexible and love to try it in all kinds of recipes. The above can be toyed around with different veggies. I've also made quinoa fish patties for "burgers" (I'm pescetarian). It's very versatile and yummy :)
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa with pretty much everything.

In salads, as a warm side dish on its own, but my fave way to indulge is to make Quinoa Pizza Bites! SO delish :)
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are just starting out with quinoa- you should also try red & black quinoa OP; especially black if you like it to have a crunchier texture.