Help me to not over eat my dinner tonight!!

This is my first day back on track. And now I am sitting here on my couch catching up on Mad Men, just watching the clock tick down to dinnertime. Problem number 1 is Im starving, and problem number 2 is Turkey Tacos are on the menu. Why the hell did I choose tacos as my first dinner back...Remember portion control...portion control...portion control! Yes, I can do this :)

Replies

• BrittDoesIt
    BrittDoesIt Posts: 54 Member
    mm tacos yum. Try loading on the veggies to fill you up, or make a taco salad so no tortilla :) or add in onions and green peppers for fajitas :)
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Fill up on low calorie veggies before dinner. Celery, tomatoes, cucumbers, pickles, or other low calorie snacks. Make sure you're eating enough overall to avoid binging. Eat the tacos with a big salad, light on the dressing.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    I'd also put away the fixings after you have filled your first plate. It will make it less tempting to go back for an easy second plate of tacos.
  • laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    I would probably just add lots of veggies too. In fact, a taco salad with ground turkey, low-fat sour cream, salsa, lettuce, kidney beans and an ounce of Mexican shredded cheese sounds really awesome, and I am totally thinking I might do that for dinner!
  • sstevenson2233
    sstevenson2233 Posts: 6 Member
    Load up the tacos with vege and take it easy on the cheese, beef, or sauce!! Even if you go over your calories at least it is on vege's and not not he fatty stuff!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    The beef will be fine - it's the sauce and cheese that I'd question.
  • mstocks80
    mstocks80 Posts: 16 Member
    I like the suggestion to put everything away after you make your plate. That is what I have been doing, it works great! Also, skip the tortilla and make a salad. if you were going to have crunchy tacos only make one or two shells and crumble them up on top! good luck and stay strong. remember if you get through two weeks...it gets easier!
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    First of all, congrats on your first day back! Way to get back on the horse. :)

Secondly, the first couple weeks of getting back into a weight loss journey usually require some experimentation and adjustment as you figure out what works for you and what doesn't. So don't panic, whatever you do - this triggers you to eat! :) You can do this - breathe, relax, it'll be okay. Strategy will be your best friend in the next couple weeks!

So today you learned that you can't go as long as you have w/out building in some kind of snack to get you through until dinner. Tomorrow, work something in at all of your critical points during the day, so that you never ever "starve". Starving yourself will cause you to crash and burn.

You also learned that maybe you should pick foods and meals that won't "trigger" you into overeating. Sounds like tacos might be a little more than you can handle right now. So perhaps pick some foods that you like and are satiating, but won't tempt you into shoving your face into it like a crack addict, haha.

Double and triple check to make sure you're eating enough based on your TDEE. Don't fall for the lie that "simply eating less means losing more". You need to figure that out down to the last calorie so that your body isn't crying out for calories, which makes you hungrier. Make sure you're getting every calorie your body needs/deserves!

And good luck! Feel free to add me for support if you like!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    You're starving because you've only had 511 calories today.

Is there a reason you're limiting yourself to 1200 calories a day? I know we all limit ourselves to lose weight, but I'm 5'5" eat 1900 and lose weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member

Is there a reason you're limiting yourself to 1200 calories a day? I know we all limit ourselves to lose weight, but I'm 5'5" eat 1900 and lose weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

QFT.

tacos, if done correctly, can be a great balance of macros all while staying within your allowance!

now im hungry for tacos.

again.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Load up the tacos with vege and take it easy on the cheese, beef, or sauce!! Even if you go over your calories at least it is on vege's and not not he fatty stuff!

This!^

If you are using crunchy shells........make it a turkey taco salad. Sprinkle a few chips on top. For soft shells........bake it into a taco bowl. Take a muffin tin place it upside down. Place the shell in between the cups.....a picture explains it better......

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=muffin+tin+taco+bowl&qpvt=muffin+tin+taco+bowl&FORM=IGRE
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    You may need to recalculate your goals. Do you have them set up to lose 2 lbs a week? might be a little too aggressive.

If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

The closer to goal, the closer to maintenance you should be eating.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    This is my first day back on track. And now I am sitting here on my couch catching up on Mad Men, just watching the clock tick down to dinnertime. Problem number 1 is Im starving, and problem number 2 is Turkey Tacos are on the menu. Why the hell did I choose tacos as my first dinner back...Remember portion control...portion control...portion control! Yes, I can do this :)

Even though I live in Mexico, I just recently discovered burritos ( which are not so much a Mexican thing...lol ! ). I do with them the same as I do with tacos, or quesadillas. I put, let's say the high cal ingredients for two of them ( beans, meat and cheese ) each in a small bowl and chop A LOT of lettuce, tomatoes & onions. I then make three burritos ( or tacos/quesadillas) using a lot of veggies and the beans & meat for two on actually three of them. Or I make a salad based on the same principle, toasting the corn tortillas until they are crunchy and braking them over the salad. This keeps calories down and keeps me satiated.
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Great suggestions everyone!! Normally I try to eat about 500 calories a meal, I failed on that today just knowing Id be eating a heavier dinner. Tomorrow, I will for sure be shifting my calories more, I will not and can not go day after day like this, that is for sure!! Great suggestion about putting the stuff away right away. That is awesome!! and so simple...My brain just doesnt think like that :)
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member

I eat height ( 4'11.5" ) and age appropriate 1200 calories a day and have no problems feeling full. That might, or might not be true for the OP. and the fact that you eat 1900 calories at 5'5" might mean nothing.
    If the OP has only eaten 511 calories she still has 689 calories left which could be a snack ( to keep her from being hungry ) and dinner....or a big dinner. I accept that the choice is her's.
    While 1200 calories are not enough for the average person, there are also quite a few people under average, who actually do well with that amount.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Normally I try to eat about 500 calories a meal, I failed on that today just knowing Id be eating a heavier dinner.

That makes sense. I just looked at your diary and saw the 1200 set up.
  • Get off the couch, drive or walk to the store and buy a different dinner. We need a discussion about this?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Are your calories set at a reasonable level?

Is your protein target of 60g appropriate?

Sometimes the reason people feel like they're starving is because they're actually starving. No amount of tricks, techniques, mind games will (or should) get you through this if that's the reality.
  • arijo7
    arijo7 Posts: 35 Member

Personally, when I'm trying to cut down portion sizes at dinner time, I drink a glass or two of water while I'm eating. Makes me get fuller so much faster!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Get off the couch, drive or walk to the store and buy a different dinner. We need a discussion about this?

LOLwut?

:huh: