holistic approach to weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• YogaFitnessGuru
    Options
    As we all know Stress does have a massive impact on our health and does impact our weight. I took up Yoga 15 years ago to try and de-stress from a challenging Corporate career. I found it the only thing that stopped from thinking about work.

Years later, here I am a full time Yoga teacher.

I found time on a tread mill, for example, only gave me time to think and fret over work and what I needed to do. If you do Yoga (properly), you can't think about anything else!

I'm not one of those "stick insect" type Yoga teachers you see on YouTube, I still have curves, but Yoga created a way of life that helped me take my life back, get fit and most importantly become healthy.

Yoga became a way of life, I guess you could call that holistic. When I look back, I do know that "Life's too short" to have to put up with Stress from work. Nobody should have that control over your life.

Good luck looking for a another job.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've learnt that making changes in terms of what I eat and how much exercise I get has a direct impact on how well I cope with my work and personal situation. The more you improve, the easier life gets overall. It's also a positive cycle and you're more likely to take small victories re weight loss as motivators for other aspects of your life.

This. It might just be a matter of figuring out what you can control right now. Maybe it's just how you eat, to start. Or prioritizing a workout plan. Doing something tends to make you feel more in control and thus more able to address the next thing. Think of it in terms of taking a positive step or two that will holistically affect your whole life.
  • loistryin
    loistryin Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    to the psychologist above......I can't control anything even myself without the help of my higher power, Jesus Christ..... just saying.... I like the idea lemurcat gave....figure out what I can control.... I did walk almost every day this summer. When school started back up (I am a teacher) I had trouble getting it in. With the help of MapmyWalk and new iphone I have been still getting some walks in. I even did a 5K in August and plan to do more. Thank you yoga lady too for your response. I found a yoga workout on mfp or mmw I forget which that I plan to try soon. Happy thanksgiving to anyone who reads this as I write it the day after thanksgiving. BTW I walked Thanksgiving morning and plan to today. Getting an iphone and itunes and mapmywalk has been working for me.....still won't get on scale again, but I feel better.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    PS85UK wrote: »
    In my experience, it can work to build anticipation before you start with the actual lifestyle changes you need to make in terms of nutrition and exercise, but it can also lead to procrastination because the perfect circumstances will never exist. I've learnt that making changes in terms of what I eat and how much exercise I get has a direct impact on how well I cope with my work and personal situation. The more you improve, the easier life gets overall. It's also a positive cycle and you're more likely to take small victories re weight loss as motivators for other aspects of your life. Work-related stress can be very well countered with exercise. If you hit a plateau, there will always be something else that you can take pride in. I never see weight and/or fitness as isolated from the rest of my life. That's what I understand as a holistic approach.

^^THIS! Don't let perfect be the enemy of the good... get started now. From a holistic perspective, I've seen any number of comments on these boards indicating that the good habits learned in the weight loss arena have spilled over and helped to make improvements in other facets of life (I would be one of them). So take the holistic approach, but START with weight-loss - you'll be amazed at how much better the rest of your life can be.

Good luck!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    loistryin wrote: »
    to the psychologist above......I can't control anything even myself without the help of my higher power, Jesus Christ..... just saying....
    Then why don't you ask your higher power instead of a bunch of random strangers on the internet?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    That's funny. I don't have a higher power to help me control anything, and yet I still have the same amount (or more) control as most other people.

Bizarre.

Perhaps *I* am the higher power!

aa03dc950ff29a9169be8508dfae9eea.jpg
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Actually, it can work pretty well the other way around. Rather than waiting until you have everything else lined up, you can use the skills from weight loss to help you line up everything else. Exercise can help with stress AND weight loss, for example. If you pray or meditate everyday, there is no reason you can't exercise every day. The discipline of calorie counting is similar to the discipline of financial budgeting and you can use software like mint.com in similar way as MFP.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Actually, it can work pretty well the other way around. Rather than waiting until you have everything else lined up, you can use the skills from weight loss to help you line up everything else. Exercise can help with stress AND weight loss, for example. If you pray or meditate everyday, there is no reason you can't exercise every day. The discipline of calorie counting is similar to the discipline of financial budgeting and you can use software like mint.com in similar way as MFP.

This.

All jokes aside, I can understand taking a little time to prepare, both mentally and physically by figuring out some menus, food shopping, finding a gym or home program, etc. But please don't fall into the trap where you basically spend a lot of time preparing and never quite get to the doing part.

Many overweight people get into this hole where they feel they must put their lives on hold, such as dating or going on vacation, until after they've lost the weight. They feel as if getting to some magic number on the scale is going to open some magic door to happiness. It just doesn't work that way.

So sure, prepare, take a holistic approach, but don't let preparation become a crutch which you use as an excuse to never really start, because you're not quite *prepared* enough.

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I would say I have taken a holistic approach, but still losing weight while I tackle the other issues in my life. It is shocking all the changes that can be made along side losing weight. For example, when I first started - I noticed my anxiety and being a lone was a trigger for eating. So, I had to deal with that. Then, I noticed my job produced stress, anxiety and drained me - so I had to deal with that. I am currently starting to see a doctor about physical issues, setting goals to deal with my financial situation and switch fields completely.

I think if you are being completely honest with yourself, in order to lose weight it has to be holistic if you want it to be a permanent change. Like addiction, excess weight is just a symptom of underlying issues.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    One of my main rules when it comes to motivation, is to take what works and simply run with it. If this is the thing that works for you, go for it. Just don't use it as a way to put things off :smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    sounds like a bunch of excuses to not get started…

You control how much you eat and you can start controlling that aspect of your life right now, if you really want to …

everything else that you list are just excuses…

If you quit your job you could lose weight, really???
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    loistryin I agree with you. I started from limited mobility by walking a quarter a mile a day taking about 15 rest stops and only cutting out soft drinks. I read and it was confusing but then the concept started to jell little by little but then more new research comes my way. :)

Many on here have been very helpful leading me to have to do more research to learn if their views were sound or hollow. LolBroScience just a few days ago posted some good research as to why we lose just to regain it all if not more and how eating at a deficit was much more complex than just counting calories and I will post the link he provide below for you. You are on the right track and you will be able to move forward a step at a time.

jissn.com/content/11/1/7

P.S. I forgot to mention we have some that post that have unresolved personal issues that will try to make you feel as bad as they feel on the inside.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    loistryin I agree with you. I started from limited mobility by walking a quarter a mile a day taking about 15 rest stops and only cutting out soft drinks. I read and it was confusing but then the concept started to jell little by little but then more new research comes my way. :)

Many on here have been very helpful leading me to have to do more research to learn if their views were sound or hollow. LolBroScience just a few days ago posted some good research as to why we lose just to regain it all if not more and how eating at a deficit was much more complex than just counting calories and I will post the link he provide below for you. You are on the right track and you will be able to move forward a step at a time.

jissn.com/content/11/1/7

P.S. I forgot to mention we have some that post that have unresolved personal issues that will try to make you feel as bad as they feel on the inside.

MrM27 wrote: »

Stop spreading things you don't understand. It may hlbe hard to grasp as you say because you keep missing the point that it's for achieving low bf levels. You just don't get it. I see this is going to be the new thing you're going to tell people. Knock it off

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    loistryin wrote: »
    What are your thoughts to a holistic approach to weight loss?

The reasons why we binge are not just because we enjoy a particular food but very much psychological so for many we need an holistic approach. To just say eat healthier or eat less, move more, can help but for many it's not enough. That said, I do largely follow the CICO principles as ignoring addictions/bingeing, you can't eat less than your daily requirements, move more and get obese.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    My confidence is highest when I am fit and at a comfortable weight. No reason to put of taking care of yourself physically. How much longer will you wait for the planets and stars to be in alignment before you gain the confidence to make the changes you need to be healthy? Don't put off now what you can do today. You have the ability to make the changes that you would like to see. You have to live in the present. Don't continue to hold yourself back by making excuses. Your health is your wealth.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Your mental attitude and how you look after your emotional wellbeing is vital imo. People need to look after themselves to make sure they are in the best shape to do the task ahead. I deal that holistically and monitor where I am all the time. Push when its needed and chill when that makes more sense.

It still has to be done in conjunction with counting calories eating less and moving more. You cant be holistic about that lest it becomes an excuse for being disorganised and taking the easy route.