Looking for other professional women on here!

Options

Replies

• Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes, the office full of goodies. I've put a bowl of life saver mints on my desk...helps me some. The co-workers in my department have figured out that I don't eat the sweets they put out, so they aren't offended by it (I don't think). They are always telling me, "I wish I had your iron will" (the truth is I don't actually like cake/cupcakes/pastries/doughnuts, etc. I'm totally a fiend for candies though (like gummy bears) and salty snacks like chips and salsa. Luckily it's always the sweet stuff showing up, but on occasion they bring in things I like, too. It's hard! Not to mention group lunches...especially to places with limited "healthy" options (without shredding the menu and re-ordering some made up thing). Anyhow, any of you are welcome to add me :)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I'm a legal assistant and work 8:30-5:30 in an office that constantly provides cakes, cookies, and other treats. Seriously, we have cake in this office three times a week every week. I work downtown and am surrounded by restaurants and quick-delivery places. I resist them all. Feel free to add me.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    We do a "snack" for everyone's birthdays in my office. Cakes, pies, ice cream. This month is my birthday- trying to decide what I want. Last year I got soft pretzels. Any ideas besides the ususal cakes,cookies, etc?
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Designer here reporting in for HUGE catered lunches at concept meetings, and the smell of delicious cheap Chinese food wafting in from my manager's cubicle every Friday ;_;
  • CarrieVPDX
    CarrieVPDX Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I work in an office with lots of free food and smack dab next to some delicious food carts. My approach is to avoid the free food as long as possible in hopes that it'll all be gone :) and if not, I take half of something. I also make sure I have a stash of healthy snacks at my desk, like craisins, almonds, etc.

My office also got together and decided to do our own biggest loser challenge with weekly weigh ins. Now, that means one person gets to know how much everyone weighs and you have to be comfortable sharing. Each week an email goes out to only those involved and shows % lost that week and overall. Good to have others int he office keeping tabs on one another.

For lunches, I prepare 4 salad jars on Sunday evenings (toppings at the bottom of a big mason jar and stuff the rest w lettuce) and then leave a lo cal dressing in the office fridge. That way I'm not as tempted to eat out cause I know my jars won't keep if I don't eat them. And on Friday I get to eat out if I kept with the jars all week. :)
  • charkendrick
    charkendrick Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm a librarian. I work with all women and several of us are dieting. If any of the staff tried bringing in a cake they'd have books thrown at them ;) Seriously, we do have goodies brought in from time to time. It's getting much easier for me to resist. Most days I bring a lunch and snacks to work--usually a weight watchers meal, an apple or carrots and hummus. The only places to eat out close around the library are fast food.
  • marvelmandy
    marvelmandy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The radio station I work for is a not-for-profit organization. We do a big fundraising drive twice a year when for 10 days local restaurants provide all the meals and snacks for staff and volunteers. We're actually in the middle of the Spring Fundraiser right now. I've been keeping a box of Quaker Oatmeal packs at my desk. When the call for food comes, I do up an oatmeal pack and use that to replace the starch portion of the free meals. So, no pancakes, but I'll take a sausage link and some eggs. No creamy pasta, but some chicken breast. Sorry cookie, hello fruit!

Not perfect, but much better than it could have been. And I'm not stewing at my desk while everyone else gets to enjoy.
  • TiarraJ926
    Options
    I am a Recruiter (HR) and we are always having lunch catered in, meetings with bagels, etc....I always find lunch to be the hardest part. Add me. I am motivated and on my way to losing weight. I am also friendly :)
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Everyone is welcome to add me, I'll be posting work food ideas!
  • bramley1911
    bramley1911 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Trainee accountant, working in an office where there's always cakes being brought in. Most days I can be good an resist but then some day something will just take my fancy or I'll be having a bad day and resort to eating to cheer me up. I manage to bring my own lunch in every day, just need to remember my own snacks too.
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have very nice coworkers who like to bring in their leftovers from dinner the night before for us to share. If it's something fattening, I just eat a little less and have veggies on the side, which I always have with me. They are pretty healthy eaters though, so it's not usually too bad.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm a legal assistant and managing clerk at a law firm. Fortunately, they don't mind me snacking throughout the day and/or eating at my desk and we have two refrigerators so it's nice to have the space to store healthy snacks like my carrots and hummus and yogurt. :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,677 Member
    Options
    I work in an investment bank and my current workplace is the worst I have ever experienced in terms of food culture. Every day there is a minefield full of tempting treats lying on top of every other file cabinet. Today alone I saw Doritos, crisps, a tray of baklava, a chocolate cake, Turron peanut brittle selection from Spain, strawberry pencils and chocolate truffles.

People bring in cakes and cookies to mark any occasion. And every time someone returns from vacation there is a tradition to bring back sweets from the destination. There is cake for birthdays, birthday of offspring, going on vacation, returning from leave, project completed on time, even resignations. I mean really. Resignation cake?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Anyone is free to add me. Both getting organized enough to bring lunch (and be prepared if I have to stay into dinner hours), planning so I can work late when necessary and still have a healthy home-cooked dinner most nights, and--especially--not eating whatever sweets are around to deal with work stress are all things I'm working on.

The joke back when I was a summer associate (years ago) is that if the firm paid for it, it had no calories. Sadly, that might have been okay with my metabolism at 23 (probably not), but certainly not by the time I was 30.

Fewer free meals now, but my office is still full of goodies (among other things, one of the assistants moonlights in a family bakery and uses us as guinea pigs).
  • Alexandra_S
    Alexandra_S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I bring a lot of lunch boxes to work. I work shifts, and they are quite long. I have to make sure I eat healthy, not some junk from the vending machine. Since I started using MFP and tracking my carbs-fat-protein intake the food people bring in the office doesn't bother me. Last week I resisted a birthday cake! And it wasn't difficult!

Plus bringing my own food lets me pre-log it and be sure what and how much I eat that day. Makes me comfortable.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :)
  • Arein70
    Arein70 Posts: 43
    Options
    Hello all! I am a Paralegal so I spend my day running back and forth between the office and court. I try so hard to be good at lunch time but it makes it rough when I pass 30 fast food restaurants that can make it so much easier. Ugh!!! I have been trying very hard to bring my lunch with me and eat when I can. Add me if you like!!
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I work in IT. Feel free to add me.
  • Alexandra_S
    Alexandra_S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started a trend at work that seems to curb some of the donut woes....FRUITY FRIDAY! I bring in bananas, apples, oranges, pears, and grapefruit every Friday...I buy them from KwikStar so they are cheaper than a box of donuts and everyone seems to enjoy it. I find myself going back for seconds without the guilt.

What a great idea!
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Yup, I work in a hospital with a pretty good cafeteria and coffee shop right in the building. Bad news if I don't bring lunch, and still tempting if I do! I have a weakness for breakfast sandwiches lol. Feel free to add me, I have an open diary where we can compare lunch notes! :smile: