Coconut Flour?

Options
ssmaling
ssmaling Posts: 83 Member
I'm looking into using coconut flour but I'm not sure about it. Do you use it just like regular all purpose flour? Does it taste differently? Can you bake with it just the same? Thanks!!

Replies

• DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time!! It is a little different in the fact that it expands when you use it so you don't need much. If you have any questions please feel free to message me.
  • ssmaling
    Options
    I use it all the time!! It is a little different in the fact that it expands when you use it so you don't need much. If you have any questions please feel free to message me.

Thank you! :D
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    its totally different, you use much less than regular as its super dense , I am not a huge fan of it...I use it rarely in a few things as I am paleo, but something about the texture...and the strong flavor
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    It's totally different. I picked some up for the novelty of it and the only thing that I came out decent were cookies made with it, after a lot of recipe tampering, mind you. It creates a much tougher product, not crumbly in the least.

I had NO success with any breads. I didn't even attempt any yeast breads, only quick breads, since coconut flower doesn't contain gluten thus making the texture very rubbery and it won't rise. I'm sure an expert cook out there can come up with something serviceable but unless you can't eat AP or bread flour for some reason, don't waste your time.
  • ssmaling
    Options
    its totally different, you use much less than regular as its super dense , I am not a huge fan of it...I use it rarely in a few things as I am paleo, but something about the texture...and the strong flavor

Is the flavour coconutty? That sounds so stupid. lol
  • ssmaling
    Options
    It's totally different. I picked some up for the novelty of it and the only thing that I came out decent were cookies made with it, after a lot of recipe tampering, mind you. It creates a much tougher product, not crumbly in the least.

I had NO success with any breads. I didn't even attempt any yeast breads, only quick breads, since coconut flower doesn't contain gluten thus making the texture very rubbery and it won't rise. I'm sure an expert cook out there can come up with something serviceable but unless you can't eat AP or bread flour for some reason, don't waste your time.

Thanks! I have a friend who just found out her daughter has a gluten allergy so I was looking for a flour alternative.:)
  • Remilia_Scarlet
    Remilia_Scarlet Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've used it! It tastes good, very sweet and coconut-y, but it's very difficult to get right. I would recommend looking up recipes specifically tailored for coconut flour instead of trying to substitute it for wheat flour. Coconut flour requires a lot more moisture than wheat, so using the same wet to dry ingredients ratio would just give you a stack of dry crumbs.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    blend it with white flour...
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hello! I bake a lot with coconut flour or almond flour. It won't work without some regular flour, though. Mostly, my recipes work well with Bob's Red Mill whole wheat pastry flour, and I replace about 1/3 of it with the almond or coconut flour. I also have a recipe for yeast raisin bread, in which I throw in some shredded coconut as well. You just have to find your perfect mix.
    I have made a lot of healthy whey protein cupcakes, using oat flour and almond or coconut flour as mix. Feel free to message me if you are interested in the recipes.
    Happy baking and good luck!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I use it to make Macaron cookies. I use the recipe on food wishes.com. Macaron cookies are high in protein and fiber and the calories are reasonable
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options

Is the flavour coconutty? That sounds so stupid. lol

yes, thats why i dont care for it that much, plus you should sift it before use as its very grainy...i dont care for consistensy either lol
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I tried coconut flour this weekend and didn't really like it. I used it to make homemade tortillas. The mild coconut flavor didn't bother me, but the sweetness of it did.

I'll probably use the remainder to make cookies or something.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    If any of you have links to some coconut flour recipes, please share! I tried making some pancakes with them and they turned out horrid. I was so sad :(
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've made the worst pancakes, cookies, and muffins with this stuff. Any tips on what I can make using it? I'm using the Trader Joe's brand.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

Then if it is not gluten free then why not just use only white flour?

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Then if it is not gluten free then why not just use only white flour?

Or even whole wheat. Yes, that was my question as well. What is the advantage?
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few recipes for coconut flour brownies and these were the best by far:

http://empoweredsustenance.com/coconut-flour-brownies-paleo/

I've also made coconut flour crepes which were lovely warm from the pan but I wasn't keen on them cold - I'd hoped I'd be able to use them as a wrap for a packed lunch.