Has anyone lost and regained?

Options
I lost 60 lbs in one year by exercising and counting calories. I was 8 lbs away from my goal then, I became a stay at home mom for 11 months. I was really depressed with not working and regained 35 lbs in that short time. I'm working again so that should help, but I can't seem to get my emotional eating under control. Now I'm going on a trip to Hawaii and wearing a bathing suit really shows the damage I've done. My thighs are somehow bigger than when I was fat before. I need some positive advice. No rude comments please. I just feel uncomfortable this way and very sad.

Replies

• patrick139
    Options
    Hi Aimee. Congrats on the upcoming Hawaii trip. (ive never been but its on my bucket List LoL)

I feel you about gaining weight quickly. My body is the same way. I under went a shoulder operation back at the end of Feb and just in the two months that i was not allowed to work out, i gained 15 pounds (thats pretty quick for two months). Now that ive been cleared for some level of fitness again how i am making some good progress.

Emotional eating can be hard to maintain. you have heard the phrase "Comfort food". the myth is that certain food is comforting and people indulge on those foods. The reality however is, Any Food that you over eat on it is a comfort food. Its a common situation for people in weight gain.

When i help someone achieve fitness goals i like to remind them, that THEIR inspiration alone of trying to achieve better nutrition and fitness levels is in turn very encouraging to me. But almost will assuredly encourage others around them as well. Its a good reminder to keep on hand.

Breaking the habit of emotional bad eating is very achievable. it takes 21 days to build a habit (Good or bad) . If you can skip the emotional eating for 21 days (3 weeks) your cravings for it will decrease dramatically, but also adding in proper fitness for those 21 days and not only will you start to kill the bat eating habits, but you will gain a wanting for a fitness routine. While you may not be able to get to your fitness/fat loss goals by the time your Vacation trip comes around, you can always start on proper nutrition+fitness Right now! Its never too late to start.
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You are not alone. Many people have regained. What I think is wonderful is that you are STILL in control.
    You are aware of what you need to do. You have Not given up. This is a journey. You have lost the weight before. You can do it again. but this time. it will be extra special. You know yourself. You know that you are an emotional eater. Understanding this will help you to get back to your desired weight. When the emotions of life get you down, try eating whatever you want but eat only half.
    Count the calorie and then go burn it off. Allow yourself a portion then address the problem. I am an emotional eater. This may never change but I have learned that I can control the portion. I also now have post notes every where with "MFP "written on them.
    This has helped me to remember watch the calories. Allow your self to feel the emotion and write down what you can do about the problem. Eventually, you will come to a solution. Yes, an emotional eater can lose weight. You just have to manage the calories as you strive to solve the problems. Emotions, life's problems etc will never go away. It is how you cope. You can do it!:smile:
  • ShreddingIt_84
    Options
    Around 2011 I lost 50 then in 2 years i gained 45 back!!
    When i came back i didnt wanna lose so much again i wanted 20 off it took me about 5 months, i gotta say this time around I really liked how my body shaped up!

I have gained a few again and im working to get them out! But not stressing.
    My eating gets bad when pms rolls around then gets good on my woman days... I need to change that!
    I want all days to be good!!
    I give myself a day to splurge on outside food if I want it... Keeps me working for it!

Find an exercise you like and just show up! In time Your thighs should look better!
    Good luck!
  • munchkin0518
    Options
    Lost 35lbs two years ago, then started binge-eating like no tomorrow, and gained all of it back plus ten pounds more. I lost the ten again and now am working on losing the rest. It's definitely a struggle and I'm trying to not put deadlines on myself, or force severe caloric restrictions. That's what started the whole fiasco, I truly believe. I felt so superior succeeding at being thin that I used up huge amounts of very limited willpower trying to repress and ignore the incredible feelings of deprivation. When stress and life and laziness happened, I finally broke. Feeling like a failure, I whiplashed myself into dieting even more, which didn't help to mend my broken state of mind. Right now I'm steering far far away from this vicious cycle. I'm not exercising, I'm not eating like a bird, I'm just normalizing myself. I think we all need to learn how to be kind to ourselves.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    about 5 years ago... I went on a fasting diet.. and I lost alot of weight very quickly... but in less then 2 years I was 216lbs riding the yo-yo...

This time... I've lost about the same however, i'm doing it alot slower... by eating healthy and exercising.... but always back in my head is the fact that i could jump back on that yo-yo again... it scares me.. even as i think about it...
  • AimeeBaumgartner
    AimeeBaumgartner Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank all of you for your stories! I just feel like a failure for regaining the weight. I know exactly what I need to do, but I lack the motivation. I am however extremely uncomfortable in my clothes and embarrassed when I run into people from school. I was skinnier through most of high school and I live in a small town. I hate taking pictures and I'm tired of lacking confidence. I've even tried praying to God about giving me self control, but that hasn't worked. Not sure how to restart this program when I did so good before, but I need to do something now!!

P.S. If one more beach body person messages me I will go off!! Please only real dieters who aren't trying to sell me something respond.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/04/do-you-have-more-self-control-than-you-think/
  • zhanaolivia
    Options
    It's devastating gaining back what you worked so hard to lose!! I'm so jealous of your Hawaii trip, and would love to help support you to get back to where you're happy!! :)
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I can relate. When I was 18-21 and had loads of time to work out, I was 126 lbs... Then I got a job, and slowly crept up to 140...145...150...

Then I moved, and had a big break up, got laid off and got mono (worst ever) went swiftly back down to 125 lbs.

Then I got hired at a very stressful full time job, and skyrocketed up to 172 because I was always working and had no time for myself!

Well, here I am laid off again, and creeping back down the scale the HEALTHY way this time. This is all in a matter of 10 years!

I just hope the next 10 years aren't as tumultuous! We all go thru it, and it's totally possible to overcome. It just takes time... Have FUN in Hawaii!
  • Alex_murphyy
    Alex_murphyy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    In 2011 I lost 20lbs and than gained that back plus another 20 in like 4 months. It was bad. I was unhealthy, I was miserable and for the first time in my entire life, I had gotten stretch marks on my stomach and my sides. And now, even after loosing 20lbs, that is all I see when I look in the mirror. Stretch marks and more fat. Im hoping that when I loose weight they will become less noticeable but we will see... But I know that even though I went through this phase in my life and would love more than anything to go back and change it, I cant. And it has inspired me to keep going and to not give up. And to relate 100% with you, I was in Hawaii this past March and felt absolutely disgusting. But I pushed through and kept telling myself that 'Im a work in progress and things will get better.' Im sorry that you're feeling like this but know that you arent alone. And when you are in Hawaii enjoy it and just think about all the fun you will have. Go buy yourself a suit or something that will help your confidence. I bought a new suit right before we left and I felt better with going out in public. And the entire time I was there, I kept an active lifestyle. I swam, hiked, ran, walked everywhere and snorkeled. So I was feeling positive and motivated.

Hopefully this helps! But know you arent alone and remember, YOURE GOING TO HAWAII!!! And that in itself is something to celebrate and get excited for!
  • ladyofbugglake
    ladyofbugglake Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I have dealt with the soul crushing experience of regaining lost weight. I lost nearly 100 pounds around 2003, gained back 60 by 2008, lost 30 by 2011, and gained back 50 by 2012. It is devastating, embarrassing, and discouraging.

I have all these clothes from various weights, and before tonight they were all still hanging up in my closest. It looked like a closest shared by various women of radically different sizes. I have hung onto the clothes because part of me felt like getting rid of them would be "giving in" to the weight gain and admitting defeat. In my mind, I would be fitting back into them soon. But 2 years have passed...

I reached a turning point in my thinking tonight though. I realized part of my struggle is that I have too much going on. Having all of those clothes in my closet was just once more distraction. Tonight I got rid of all the clothes that don't fit or that I don't wear. Only clothes that make me feel good remain.

WHAT A RELIEF!

I think part of the journey is excepting ourselves for the way we currently look and making sure to treat that person as well as we treat the thinner version of ourselves. At my current weight, I am just as deserving to feel good in my clothes as at a skinny weight. And the only way to do that is to embrace my current shape and stop living in the "one day I will be skinny again" mindset.

I honestly believe that the only way to regain my health is to love the person I am today. Love myself for who I am rather than hating myself for no longer being the person I once was. The person I will become tomorrow will be alot better if she is formed from love rather than hate.

When you gain weight, you may become steeped in negative thinking and paranoia. "I am no longer pretty." "My husband will want to leave me." "I am such a failure and weak willed." My advice is to acknowledge those thoughts for what they are: thoughts. They are not reality. For every negative thought I acknowledge, I make think 2 positive thoughts about myself. Same goes for negative thinking about others. It is amazing how quickly positive thinking takes root in your mind if you let it!
  • ajswriter
    ajswriter Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I lost 102 & regained 35. Working on getting it back off--17 down this year & 18 more to go. It happens! We can beat ourselves up, or we can just work it off & be more aware of what we need to do to keep it off!
  • kittikat1119
    kittikat1119 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    TWICE!!! Both times from pregnancy, and I gained a LOT. Third time is a charm though, and I am determined never to get pregnant again. Of course, I thought I was done after my first. :laugh:
  • mlobosco99
    mlobosco99 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey Aimee - You've got almost the same exact numbers that I had. I lost 60 pounds - got below 200 for the first time in a looooong time. I'm not really sure what happened to me... but I also gained back about 30 pounds. It took me a long time to turn it around but I did. It's not perfect - it's a constant battle - but it can be done. There are many of us out there just like you.... except that YOU'RE going to Hawaii! Enjoy it - it's a beautiful place.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 and put 25 back on in the space of about 4 mos. Don't fret too much. You did it once, you can do it again. Emotional eating is a hard habit to break but I'm sure there is a lot of support here from people who have beaten the issues for you to draw on.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Has anyone NOT lost and regained should be the question. haha
  • mbernardy
    mbernardy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs about 10 year.s ago. In that time, have yo-yo'ed up and down about 15 lbs countless times. So, yes, I can lose weight. Keep it off? Well, over half of it.

Somehow, something has clicked recently, and I've blown past my previous "skinny" weight by 12 lbs. WOW. Now my goal is to keep going and to actually reach a weight that is not in the "obese" range. I'm working on it and enjoying the journey. I have realized I am worth the effort and that I CAN do it.

Once I reach my goal, a next goal will be to keep myself at/near goal -- to do something after I've added 5 lbs rather than 15 lbs to my frame.

I think this excerpt from HBO's "Weight of the Nation" series is pretty helpful in explaining why maintenance is so difficult.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e26JKMpSNSo
  • ladyofbugglake
    ladyofbugglake Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've even tried praying to God about giving me self control, but that hasn't worked.

I don't believe it is about self control. NO ONE has will power. Successful people are just people with healthy habits. Someone else mentioned that it takes 21 days to make or break a habit. I 100% agree with them that it is about habit\.

I would make you goal simple: track your food for 21 days. Don't worry so much about the math; if you stick to your calorie goal, then great. If you go over by hundreds of points, oh well. It happens. Your goal is not necessarily to eat a specific number of calories, rather it is to develop the habit of tracking. Hell or high water, you track.

Simple tracking is an achievable goal that doesn't require alot of "will power." Its purpose it to make you thoughtful about your food. That doesn't mean you have to resist that giant cookie at lunch, it just means that you have to put it in your diary and be aware of its nutritional value. The choice to eat it or not will NOT be about will-power, but rather it will be a thoughtful, educated decision. It may be easier to put down knowing it has 500 calories. On the otherhand, you may decide it is totally worth it at that moment. Either way, you mindfully made a decision. That is one habit of healthy eaters.

I will keep you in my prayers!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    90% of all dieters regain some/alot of weight back when they become complacent. It's not uncommon. Thing is, it's not difficult to lose weight again, it's just annoying that you have to do it over again. But that's how we learn, by failure or fault.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • change_of_heart
    change_of_heart Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oh I can relate!. Ive had issues with my weight since I was a teen but lost about 25kgs before I turned 21. Had my first baby in 2010 - weight was great throughout the pregnancy - but after many ups and downs following the birth of my son, I feel into a deep depression and gained all the weight back and then some.

Lost it all again leading up to my wedding in 2012, fell pregnant again and had my second baby in September 2013 and 7 months on I am as big as ever and struggling with quite severe post-natal depression. So the depression and weight are sort of feeding off each other, if that makes any sense?...