Exercise vs Eating Less

Options
2»

Replies

• imsotall
    imsotall Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    inc ase you're interested, as you mentioned estimation and accuracy:

a recent study found that even dietitians (who should know better - right?) underestimated their calorie intake. This is from a study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12396160) (small sample alert) or 10 dietitians and 10 other similar adults over a week. The under-reporting was 223 and 429 kcal/day respectively, implying that those who take care and are knowledgeable can significant;y increase the accuracy of their calorie tracking compared to those who are less careful/knowledgeable.

so while I try to be as accurate as I can, I reccon at best, and not being a pro i'm likely to de underestimating by about 300 cal/day, given i'm targetting 275cal/day deficit for a 0.25 kg/week loss - my inacuracy is probably masking my deficit if i'm not progressing as i would like to

Thank you for the information - very interesting reading.

As I mentioned previously, I am no expert when it comes to estimating the nutritional value of a meal and this information about inaccuracies in estimations leads me to think that I shouldn't be too concerned about the 3 days a week where I may be at a deficiency on my recommended daily calorie intake.

Especially if it is only around 300 calories.

However, at the end of the day everyone is different and I think by using tools like MFP we are all on the way to discovering a little bit more about how our individual bodies respond to different foods, levels of exercise etc and this can only be a good thing.
  • kapoorpk
    kapoorpk Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    To maintain your weight eat your Total Daily Energy Expenditure or TDEE calories. Many calculators are available online to help you calculate them.

If you want to lose weight, eat less than TDEE, i.e. on a deficit

If you want to gain weight, eat more than TDEE, i.e. on a surplus.

TDEE INCLUDES your the energy you expend in exercise.

So, if including your exercise calories for your age, height and weight is, for example 1500, then eat 1500 total. Less for weight loss and more for weight gain.

Good luck!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    A grown man needs to net more than 700 calories a day. It's not because of a starvation mode boogeyman. It's because you'll lose excessive lean mass, and if you keep it up, you'll feel like a fish with no water.