Leslie Sansone dvds

Options
I have a question: There is a dvd of hers I work out to sometimes where it says at the end I’ve walked 2.5 miles and the video is 30 minutes long—I calculated calories burned since walking is done by how many miles you walk in an hour @ 5 miles per hour for 30 minutes. Did I calculate this correctly??

Replies

• Valereee
    Valereee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I do Leslie's one mile walk. When the "one mile" flashes on the screen I check my FITBIT and it never shows me as walking a mile. I'm always at .71 or .75 of a mile, etc.. I wonder if it's because I'm not moving as fast as Leslie.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    That's how I would have done it.
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Well, that sounds right to me! I've got to get my walk dvd out and start using it at home. Make my husband move his big old chair so I can work out in our tiny living room!
  • tralaf
    tralaf Posts: 10
    Options
    That's how I do it. I do alot of her videos, they are great. Many are posted on You tube. I find it a better workout for me than actually doing the miles outside.
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    I used to use Leslie's DVD's and it's aerobics, not walking. Also MFP WAY overestimates calories for everything. When I did her 4 mile walk at 162 lbs, giving it my all, I burned 300-380 calories according to my heart rate monitor.

You really really need one of those. I recommend the polar ft4 - it's not terribly expensive and it's accurate and easy to use.

But Leslie is really good for beginners and intermediate and if you're breaking a sweat and doing your best, you're getting a good burn. The 4 and 5 mile walks would generally burn off an entire meal for me. Ignore the whole MPH thing for walking because Leslie's videos are not just walking, they're really aerobic and you burn more calories doing that than just walking.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I do Leslie's one mile walk. When the "one mile" flashes on the screen I check my FITBIT and it never shows me as walking a mile. I'm always at .71 or .75 of a mile, etc.. I wonder if it's because I'm not moving as fast as Leslie.

My fitbit usually shows me just a little bit over a mile. So it may be that you are moving slower than Leslie or perhaps your stride is smaller.
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • kajasc22
    kajasc22 Posts: 5
    Options
    So are her DVDs considered more aerobic than walking??
  • kajasc22
    Options
    or should I still log them under walking on here?? I agree that they are more than just walking!!
  • MJ1975CA
    MJ1975CA Posts: 31
    Options
    I do her DVD's 3-5 times a week. I log it as aerobics - general. I also use a heart rate monitor and find that depending on my level of effort, if I use weights or a resistance band, and how hard I try to actually keep up with her step for step the calorie burn can vary from 300-500 calories burned for me during a 3 mile 45 minute workout. Log as aerobics low impact if you are new, not moving as fast as her, and not using hand weights. A heart rate monitor will really help you log accurately if you can afford one :)
  • kajasc22
    Options
    I know…me too and so MUCH quicker!!
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yep that's what I do...
  • Tiny_Zg
    Tiny_Zg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    With Leslie...I calculate according to my HRM, I usually do 5 miles fat burning DVD and I burn from 550 to sometimes 700 kcal in 63 mins :laugh: there's jogging in the end of every mile so it speeds up my :heart: rapidly :bigsmile:
  • louisedavies311
    louisedavies311 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I do the 4 mile aerobics and burn around 480 calories in the hour I love this exercise dvd tried loads of others but this is the best.
  • princessnuriko
    princessnuriko Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have her DVDs too, mostly the 5 mile ones. She always say it the beat of the music that you follow and not how many steps you take. So don't worry about what your fitbit or whatever you're using to count the miles on because it will NEVER equal to miles. Just get a HRM to count your calories burned and just take Lesile for word.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I love Leslie's DVD's I have 5 of them I use it with my Fitbit. I love her.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I do her videos daily and have been logging them in as brisk walking. I think starting tomorrow I will log them in as aerobics instead. I can keep up with the pace but I have been a guessing what pace we are walking at.
  • losingit4infinity
    losingit4infinity Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I log her 3 mile as low impact aerobics and her 5 mile advanced walk as high impact aerobics. I keep up with her pace and use hand weights or resistance belts. I don't have a HRM so I go with what MFP calculates and I just don't eat all of those calories back.
  • raggiemom
    raggiemom Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump