Vanity Hold you back???

Options
I know that SOUNDS ODD! You would think the vanity would be the driving force to encourage you to loose the weight so you will LOOK better, RIGHT??

And it is to an extent BUT, I let fear throw sticks in my clear path! I weight 230 and I have been at least 200 for almost 10 years. My FEAR is if and when I lose this weight (BECAUSE I WILL... somehow) I will look GROSS! AND OLD AND FLOPPY!! With saggy, droopy skin, and wrinkles! I don't want that, anymore than I want to be FAT!!!

Replies

• kmkgurl
    kmkgurl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Everyone has fears, but your the only one who can decide if you really want to lose the weight. I heard if you drink plenty of water and keep yourself hydrated with some strength training you will be fine. Plus it can take up to two years for your skin to bounce back. I think in my personal opinion you should do what makes you happy, but I don't think that should hold you back. good luck =)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    That's why it's important to lose at a slow, reasonable weight (I specifically mean eating MORE than 1200 cals) so your skin has time to adjust. Lose too fast, and you increase your risk of exactly what you fear happening.
  • swheart4981
    swheart4981 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That's why it's important to lose at a slow, reasonable weight (I specifically mean eating MORE than 1200 cals) so your skin has time to adjust. Lose too fast, and you increase your risk of exactly what you fear happening.

I have heard that! Do you think that 1 pound a week is to much for my skin to bounce back! Don't get me wrong, I am not totally shallow. (obviously! Because I AM overweight!) But I want to look GOOD TOO! Can it even be done now without surgery?
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    OMG yes, I used to suffer from this exact problem,. so I spent years sabotaging myself.
    But I got fatter and more and more unhappy.
    One day I just suddenly decided to go for it, and overcome my fears.
    I've realised I ma happier, fitter and wished I'd done this a whole lot sooner.
    Please don't let it hold you back anymore. You'll be fine :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Strength train and you won't look saggy :-)

I'm very vain, I admit it. And it's actually opposite for me, it drives me to keep going so I can look better. I used to be your weight. I'm 135 lbs now and nothing is saggy too much on me :-) so eat the correct amount of calories, don't starve. And strength train :-)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I just saw your comment OP about one pound per week. I think that's fine. some people under eat and end up looking really saggy and squishy, so I think your on the right path with just one pound per week
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    My highest weight was a little over 240lbs {with my first pregnancy} and I can assure you, I got down to 145 and did not have any loose skin. Like previously mentioned... as long as you do it at a slow pace, do it the right way, drink lots of water, eat nutritious food... your body will amaze you at what it can and will be able to do and you will have the opposite effect. You will not only look younger but you will feel younger!

{I lost a little over 100lbs within a year after my sons birth}
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    And for the visual, here is my before and after from when I lost weight after my first pregnancy {I am currently on track to losing weight after recently having my daughter, luckily I didn't gain as much this time lol}.

1yearweightloss.jpg
    I was actually heavier then what I was in the before photo. My son was born in February of 2008 and I didn't really officially 'start' my weight loss journey until July of 2008.

And my arms after getting down to 145 {from 240lbs}.
    arm-1.jpg
  • swheart4981
    swheart4981 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! This helps me have hope. I am still dubious because of how long I have been over weight, and stretch marks I already have etc. But if it's minimal I'm sure it will be better than being FAT! I don't really KNOW! I've never been thin, but I am totally looking forward to it!!!