Foam rolling - when? how often? how long?

Options
I started using a foam roller for IT Band problems and like the results. But I only use it maybe 5mins a day, after my walks. I'm not really sure how to use my roller for maximum results/effect.

Replies

• Mrsjones172
    Mrsjones172 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use a foam roller for exactly the same thing. My IT band on my right leg causes me all sorts of problems.

I would try and describe how to use the foam roller properly but it would take ages lol Best thing to do it watch some YouTube videos on it. I found those very helpful.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I try to roll 2-3 times a week- I should roll more- but it takes time- but at the least I try for 2-3 times a week.

My IT band and my hip flexors are insanely tight- so they need all the the work they can get. I sometimes only roll for 5 minutes- but if I have a weekend lift- I can roll for 20 minutes which is a more whole body thing.

Do what you can- roll the rest of your legs as well (I do hammy and quad and calves) if you have a time.
  • sherintn
    sherintn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My PT recommended that I roll twice a day! I try to do it before and after a run as my glutes stay super tight and I have a history of IT and hip flexor issues. But I will say now that I have increased my strength training I have had much fewer issues with my IT band.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've read that 5-7 times a week is needed, depending on the workout and your ability to recover. It doesn't have to be for very long each time.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I foam roll everyday. If I wasn't lazy and woke up early enough I would do it twice a day. Hurts so good!
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I like to use mine in the morning while my coffee machine is warming up (about 5 times a week),
    and then again in the evening before a stretching session. (2-3 times a week).
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Depends. Almost everyday although sometimes I will miss a day or two
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I do 5-10 minutes pretty much 5-7 days per week. I do more as necessary if something is particularly bothering me...my lower back and down into my hip at the moment is a great example, so I'm spending a little extra time on that every day.
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I roll for about 20 mins broken up between morning right when I get up and right before I go to bed..
    Also throw in a lacrosse ball into the mix for getting those real tight spots that a roller can't get to. A bit like s&m it hurts but feels great at the same time lol.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I've never even heard of foam rolling, can somebody give me some solid links to what it is?
  • glitznglamour15
    glitznglamour15 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what foam rolling is..... How does it benefit you? I would love to more info on this interesting device if anyone can help me!
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    This is a decent video on foam rolling and trigger point massage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAGTQN1kg2M
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    The foam roller looks like a pool noodle - but it is not - you can't substitute, need the real deal. It's a way of rolling out/self massaging the tight fascia and tendons as well as the muscle bellies. Best idea is to make an apptmt with a physio if you know where your trouble spots are - most women have trouble with the ileo-tibial band due to our wider pelvises and angled femurs. That way you can be shown exactly how to use the rollers or massage balls (or lacrosse ball as one poster uses). I also recommend buying "The Anatomy Colouring Book" It is detailed drawings that are very useful for medical students or anyone interested in kinesiology or biomechanics. I used to run copies of pertinent pages off for physio rehab clients so they could actually picture what the bones/nerves/muscles/etc were doing. You tube videos can be very helpful and it won't hut to give it a try (even with a pool noodle just to get the idea of it.) I like twice a day - I need it in the morning after I get up and warm up a bit, and then before I go to bed to help relax the tight muscles and bands. The half roller is also useful especially for opening the front of the chest up while resting along it supine.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I try to foam roll every day for about 20 minutes. I focus on my quads and IT bands when doing so. It has made a huge difference in how my knees feel. One tip which has helped to make it more effective is to stop at points where it is particularly tight/painful and move your foot by means of bending your knee back and forth a few times. It can hurt while doing it, but like others have said.....It hurts so good.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I've never even heard of foam rolling, can somebody give me some solid links to what it is?

http://bit.ly/WqRwMJ
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I started using a foam roller for IT Band problems and like the results. But I only use it maybe 5mins a day, after my walks. I'm not really sure how to use my roller for maximum results/effect.

When: Whenever you want and have time.

How Often: See above

How Long: As long as you need

You noticed how it helps with your IT band. Theres a point when you foam roll you can feel that the kinks have been worked out and can reasonably be assured that its a bit better than it was and can move on to the next problem area like the calves etc.

Practice practice practice. The more you do it, the more comfortable you will get with it. I dont foam roll often enough, so I tend to linger on my problem spots (which is basically everywhere) and can easily foam roll for an hour after losing track of time.

The foam roller looks like a pool noodle - but it is not - you can't substitute, need the real deal.

Many trainers will substitute a tennis ball, which is actually more advanced than a regular foam roller.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Many trainers will substitute a tennis ball, which is actually more advanced than a regular foam roller.

I use a LAX ball- 2.99 at the sporting goods store- goes everywhere in my mary poppins style bag that I keep crap in. great for trouble spots and on the go rolling.

Easy peasy lemon squeeze.

I have also whipped out the rolling pin my kitchen to roll my thigh because it was giving me problems. I have no shame.
  • SeanTheITGuy
    Options
    I built my own roller from a 3' length of 4" PVC pipe from Home Depot and wrapped it with duct tape to make it less slippy on the floor. As you can imagine, it's got zero give and it's not for the faint hearted, but once you finally manage to relax into it, it rolls way better than the beginner spongy rollers.

I have super tight calves and I've never found that the standard rolling techniques you can find on youtube could open them up without a partner leaning on my shins to push them into the roller. I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1nxYoWA0GI

and his technique of knee-sitting back on a hard roller to use your bodyweight to work the calf fascia is like a godsend to me.
  • dwm2112
    dwm2112 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My PT recommended that I roll twice a day! I try to do it before and after a run as my glutes stay super tight and I have a history of IT and hip flexor issues. But I will say now that I have increased my strength training I have had much fewer issues with my IT band.

My trainer also said I should roll twice a day. Riiiiiiiight. I roll as often as I can find the time, but it ain't twice a day. More like 2 or 3 times a week.
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I've heard about this...but never looked into it much, but I'm thinking I might have to!
    Any one use this on shins with good results?? I JUST started c25k last night and my shins feel
    like they took the brunt of the work. They aren't super tight today, but just a hard hand rub up
    and down felt amazing tender but awesome at the same time.