Hard Boiled Eggs

Options
So without getting into too much exposition, my doctor has recommended that I start eating smaller meals throughout the day instead of bigger ones three times per day (this is actually not to do with weight loss, this is to due with unbelievably painful periods...but she said weight loss would be a happy side effect).

Anyhow, she said that its very important to get in protein in all of the small snacks and no sugar at all (organic cheese sticks, nuts, chicken, etc.). One of the things she mentioned was hard-boiled eggs, which I love and would be super easy to incorporate into my work schedule (in moderation and rotation with other types of protein).

Does anyone have any ideas of how to make hard boiled eggs or something similar without the shells? Would you bake them maybe?

Or if you have other natural protein small snack ideas, share them here too!

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I've always hard-boiled mine. I think there's a device on Amazon that you throw 5-6 eggs in and microwave it to boil them. I can't remember the name of it though.

For protein snacks:

Protein bars (Quest is my favorite)
    Greek Yogurt (Danon Light & Fit is great)
    Protein shakes
    Cheese & Cheese sticks
    Edamame
  • DemetraDawn
    DemetraDawn Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I didn't think of edamame! That's going on the grocery list.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Here is how I hard boil eggs and I rare have shell issues

- Fill pot of water with enough water to cover eggs
    - Add 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
    - Bring water to boil
    - With some tongs, add eggs carefully
    - Boil for 4 minutes
    - Once done boiling, move to the side and cover for 14 minutes.
    - Drain water and either let sit or put cold water to cool eggs.

Also, have you considered making small amounts of meat for a side? Like cutting up chicken and making nuggest/fingers as a small snack. Or just do bacon.
  • heatherskop
    heatherskop Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have recently started baking my "hard boiled eggs" in the oven in a muffin tin. 325 degrees for 30 mins and they are perfect. I have one a day, seven days week, usually before or after a workout. I also find that a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and or a handful of raw almonds hold me over for quite a while, as I too, eat many, small meals throughout the day. Hope this can help.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    You could make some of these:

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/10/egg-muffins-revisited-again.html

http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2013/05/mini-frittatas.html

I second the Greek yogurt idea - watch the sugar in flavored stuff. I get plain and add some liquid stevia and top with berries (which are a low sugar option if your doctor recommends watching fruit sugars).

This is my egg boiling method:

Bring water to a vigorous boil
    Once at a boil, carefully add eggs using a spoon or tongs
    Boil for 7:30 for soft boiled (yolk the consistency of honey), 8 minutes for medium boil (my favorite), 8:30 for hard boiled.
    Immediately run under cool water.

Shells always peel off perfectly for me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you can bake them- 350 for 15-25 minutes (google and double check)

I've done it twice- once it was great- once they were rubbery.

Use slightly 'older' eggs- they peel better after you cook them.
  • DemetraDawn
    Options
    Ah! Yay! Thanks for all of these ideas! I'm going grocery shopping after work, and everything is blocked here (except for MFP luckily), so googling would have been hard. I'm excited to try this! Hopefully it helps and if I lose weight too, well, all the better.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip:

Add some vinegar to the water you are boiling your eggs in. Once they are done throw them in cold water for a bit.

This makes peeling them a lot easier.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You can make baked egg cups. Spray muffin tin with Pam or similar cooking spray. Place thinly sliced deli meat (turkey, ham, candian bacon, etc) in muffin tin then crack egg into it. Bake for 10-12 min (or longer if you like really well done) at 350 F. You can also add pre-cooked veggies, cheese, spices/herbs, etc to your liking.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Scientific literature does not support that more frequent eating of smaller meals leads to weight loss, other things being equal (i.e. total calorie intake). So your doctor's advice in that context is already subject to question.

Might also be worth a second opinion to confirm whether the smaller meals will truly address your painful periods...

On the boiled egg question--am too lazy to boil myself, I just buy them pre-boiled and shelled.

Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I baked mine last time. 30 minutes at 325 degrees, just put the eggs in a muffin pan (with the shell on). Much easier!
  • DemetraDawn
    Options
    Yeah, she definitely didn't say it would for sure work, but it's worked for some of her patients (people who have sent me to her) and since the pill did not work, and I'd rather not live off of ibuprofen or sleep 24/7, it's definitely worth at least a try.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Adding baking soda to the water and using eggs that you've had for at least a week also solve the peeling issues.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I realize they would not be hard boiled, but what about a spinach/cheese omelet? Relatively quick to make, and even quicker if you omit the spinach.

I also enjoy 1oz almonds and 2oz extra sharp cheddar cheese for a snack.

Mike
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    OP, have you tried REGULAR moderate to vigorous exercises? I used to have that period pains too but when I started regularly exercising, I have it rarely and if I have them, they're not as painful anymore
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    There is an "As Seen on TV" product called Eggies. You can buy at Walmart etc. Here is the Amazon link...

http://www.amazon.com/Eggies-Hard-Boiled-Egg-System/dp/B005BY5I2K
  • DemetraDawn
    Options
    OP, have you tried REGULAR moderate to vigorous exercises? I used to have that period pains too but when I started regularly exercising, I have it rarely and if I have them, they're not as painful anymore

Unfortunately, when I was in better shape and exercising regularly last year (before I fell off the wagon that I am now back on), beyond the help I got /while/ I was exercising, as soon as I stepped off of the treadmill and went back to my desk at the office, there were no residual effects.

Though I was on the pill then, maybe now that I am off of it and exercising again, it will help. I'm willing to try anything. I do not have enough vacation days for this, and between the lead up to and recovery of a bilateral foot surgery and this, I worry about the state of my kidneys from too many painkillers at my young age and am trying to eliminate them.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I make these egg ups in the oven that are pretty awesome. I usually use egg whites, a little cheese, and turkey sausage crumbles. I put it in muffin-tins sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Each "egg muffin" is roughly 50 calories and is a great and low ca l/ low carb breakfast choice. I make a whole tin full (12) and eat them over the week. Just pop one or two in the microwave for 45 seconds for a quick snack.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I just boil the eggs at home and bring them to work, eat them cold. Not sure what the issue is re egg shells?
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Never heard of diet helping painful periods.I would Google that. Cottage cheese & yogurt have high protein.Make sure yogurt,even Greek yogurt isn't high in sugar.I check sugar in any food labeled as low fat.....ice cream etc.
    So without getting into too much exposition, my doctor has recommended that I start eating smaller meals throughout the day instead of bigger ones three times per day (this is actually not to do with weight loss, this is to due with unbelievably painful periods...but she said weight loss would be a happy side effect).

Anyhow, she said that its very important to get in protein in all of the small snacks and no sugar at all (organic cheese sticks, nuts, chicken, etc.). One of the things she mentioned was hard-boiled eggs, which I love and would be super easy to incorporate into my work schedule (in moderation and rotation with other types of protein).

Does anyone have any ideas of how to make hard boiled eggs or something similar without the shells? Would you bake them maybe?

Or if you have other natural protein small snack ideas, share them here too!