How do I pick a protein powder

Options
Hi. I had surgery several months ago on my esophagus and, well, long story short, it would be in my best interest to drink my dinner on nights that I work out. Most of the fitness I do ends by 6:30 pm and by the time I get home and eat, it's 7:00 pm or later. If I eat (even) a healthy dinner at that time, I cannot lay down to go to sleep by 9:30 or 10:00 because food hangs around in my esophagus and then I choke all night.

SO...how do I pick a protein powder to drink on those night that fall under the following criteria:
- No lactose
- No sugar substitutes (no nutra sweet or splenda or anything like that)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Most protein powders are whey based, so since you can't tolerate lactose you should avoid those. Look for powders that are pea or egg white protein based. To avoid any artificial sweeteners you might need to get unflavored and then use your own sweeteners and fruit to make something that meets your needs.

The best thing you can do is read the labels.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Muscle egg. is a good choice. It's egg whites.
  • Rhayahana
    Rhayahana Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I use Sunwarrior protein powder, the warrior blend to be precise. All plant-based, so no lactose there. The price is neither high nor low, so kind of in the middle.

It's a little grainier than whey proteins, much smoother than a rice protein, and it has a really neutral taste that can be mixed with just about anything.

The unflavored one I use has no sweeteners, the vanilla and chocolate do have stevia extract in them.

Definitely keeping an eye on this topic to see if I can find other ones that are lactose-free without sweeteners, they're hard to find.
  • aklove907
    aklove907 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi. I had surgery several months ago on my esophagus and, well, long story short, it would be in my best interest to drink my dinner on nights that I work out. Most of the fitness I do ends by 6:30 pm and by the time I get home and eat, it's 7:00 pm or later. If I eat (even) a healthy dinner at that time, I cannot lay down to go to sleep by 9:30 or 10:00 because food hangs around in my esophagus and then I choke all night.

SO...how do I pick a protein powder to drink on those night that fall under the following criteria:
    - No lactose

I have just started using Organic Rice Protein. I have the unflavored kind, and put a scoop in my green smoothies. I cannot taste anything, and it def gives you a TON of healthy protein! Good luck!
  • ShervinM
    ShervinM Posts: 10
    Options
    I have been drinking protein shakes for over 10 years.

In my personal opinion the best available brand with high quality protein is Optimum Nutrition.

If you want instant whey protein look for "Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold whey protein". Every scoop is about 130 calories, 24grams of protein, 2g of carb, 1 gram of sugar and 1g of fat.

If you are looking for a slow release protein go for same brand but Optimum Nutrition Casein protein. Casein is a slow release type of protein that is good for night time because through out the night you tend to fast for 7 to 8 hours. This gives you the right amount of protein whilst sleeping.

Depending on your metabolism you can have other types of protein that consist of more calories which contains more carbohydrate. Because I don't like to sleep on a full stomach, I personally would suggest going for the casein protein.

These products are slightly more expensive than other brands but it is truly wroth it long term and health wise.

In addition Optimum nutrition has been rated number 1 by bodybuilding.com for over 8-9 years in the top 50 products.

I live in the UK and purchase from uk.bodybuilding.com. They dispatch from nether land. I think because you are in the US you can order direct from bodybuilding.com

Finally I would suggest for you to add some multivitamin to your diet as well because this gives all essential vitamins.

All the best.

Shervin
  • crjohnston12
    crjohnston12 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a body-builder, so I'm wondering if there is a chance for someone to get "too much" protein? I just want to maintain healthy weight, feed my body properly after a workout and then...be able to go to sleep without fears of aspiration : -) I think when I hear bodybuilding, I freak out a little.
  • crjohnston12
    Options
    I use Sunwarrior protein powder, the warrior blend to be precise. All plant-based, so no lactose there. The price is neither high nor low, so kind of in the middle.

It's a little grainier than whey proteins, much smoother than a rice protein, and it has a really neutral taste that can be mixed with just about anything.

The unflavored one I use has no sweeteners, the vanilla and chocolate do have stevia extract in them.

Definitely keeping an eye on this topic to see if I can find other ones that are lactose-free without sweeteners, they're hard to find.

I am reading reviews of this and some people say it "bulks" them up...has that been your experience?
  • lady_jewels
    lady_jewels Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use Hemp protein powder. It seems to be less expensive than the pea or rice protein, at least in my area. It mixes pretty well in my smoothies, and it has a calming effect on my mood.
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Muscle egg. is a good choice. It's egg whites.

muscle egg is delicious. Goes down without much aftertaste.
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    emeraldeyes_bc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Are you just lactose intolerant? Or do you have a milk allergy? That makes a big difference.

ETA neither of the previous ON proteins are lactose free, especially the casein. The only whey you should be able to tolerate would be a 100% isolate

Isoflex ISONatural is a 100% isolate protein naturally sweetened with stevia
  • crjohnston12
    Options
    Are you just lactose intolerant? Or do you have a milk allergy? That makes a big difference.

ETA neither of the previous ON proteins are lactose free, especially the casein. The only whey you should be able to tolerate would be a 100% isolate

Isoflex ISONatural is a 100% isolate protein naturally sweetened with stevia

I am lactose intolerant. I purchased a smallish pouch of egg protein over the weekend that I will try this week. I don't like the idea of any sweeteners because we don't know much about stevia, but I'm going to give it a go : )
  • KatyMiriam
    KatyMiriam Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Total newbie to protein powder's and I'm wondering if the Sunwarrior tastes ok with just water? (I'm planning to try the chocolate warrior blend). If I need to start buying extra coconut water and things it does start to really add to the shopping bill as well as the extra calories but obviously if I need to I will

As other commentors have mentioned I'm not keen to 'bulk up', my goals are toning and slimming. Do you think Sunwarrior is a good choice for this?

Thanks for any advice!
  • crjohnston12
    Options
    Last night, I tried Vanilla Egg White Protein (Jay Robb brand??), mixed it with a little soy milk, banana and frozen blueberry and it was absolutely DELICIOUS! No grit; no aftertaste; very satisfying!
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

In my personal opinion the best available brand with high quality protein is Optimum Nutrition.

If you want instant whey protein look for "Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold whey protein". Every scoop is about 130 calories, 24grams of protein, 2g of carb, 1 gram of sugar and 1g of fat.

If you are looking for a slow release protein go for same brand but Optimum Nutrition Casein protein. Casein is a slow release type of protein that is good for night time because through out the night you tend to fast for 7 to 8 hours. This gives you the right amount of protein whilst sleeping.

Depending on your metabolism you can have other types of protein that consist of more calories which contains more carbohydrate. Because I don't like to sleep on a full stomach, I personally would suggest going for the casein protein.

These products are slightly more expensive than other brands but it is truly wroth it long term and health wise.

In addition Optimum nutrition has been rated number 1 by bodybuilding.com for over 8-9 years in the top 50 products.

I live in the UK and purchase from uk.bodybuilding.com. They dispatch from nether land. I think because you are in the US you can order direct from bodybuilding.com

Finally I would suggest for you to add some multivitamin to your diet as well because this gives all essential vitamins.

All the best.

Shervin

:noway: whey + casein to someone asking for NO LACTOSE options??? :noway:
  • jag2340
    jag2340 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use a protein product from 7.2. It's plant based and contains all natural sweetener.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Soooooo much broscience. Release speed makes no difference whatsoever.

ON is pretty god-tier, as is Dymatize. Both are milk-based and likely inappropriate for lactose intolerance.

All of that said, I tried Jay Robb Strawberry Egg White Protein... since when is Strawberry yellow? Never mind, it's actually pretty good with a strong flavor. It does produce a very foamy head in the shaker cup.
  • SavinnaMarie
    SavinnaMarie Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    well since you are lactose intolerant, I suggest that you use a protein powder that is not whey based. there are a few from dymatize, the brand that I use. they have Dymatize ISO-100 which is lactose free. cookies and cream is a great flavor! Optimum Nutrition's platinum hydrowhey is also lactose and cholesterol free but is more expensive than the other brands and types of protein powder ON also has 100% egg protein which is lactose free too
  • daniellerbb
    daniellerbb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you tried lactose free milk? I'm lactose intolerance it seems ok

Did you see this article?
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/04/protein-drinks/index.htm

Isn't there a new Almond milk that has added protein?

- No lactose

• scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a deficit protein powders aren't going to make you bulk up.

Strength training and eating lots of protein while you are eating at a deficit help preserve lean body mass, so that each pound lost is mostly fat.

Typically people using protein powders to bulk up are strength training and eating at a surplus.