Anyone Living with MS on here?

Options
I was just wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with MS and if so, how has this affected your weight loss or physical activity?

Replies

• reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I do not, however my old roommate who I lived with for a year has had MS for 12 years now. She is incredibly active, runs daily, and thanks to medication and not giving up she has been able to maintain a very active lifestyle. She has lost close to 100 pounds total over the course of three years and says that staying focused on her health and becoming more fit has really helped with living with such a disease.

Don't get me wrong. the neurological effects still happen, being dazed, moments of forgetfulness but the physical have seemed to subside. Numbness in her legs has been reduced and she has not had as many spasms as she used to. This was even after she became ineligible for her "wonder drug" infusion. She is back on daily pills but feeling wonderful! I wish you luck!! And hope that you find others who will at minimum understand what MS is if not friends who have it as well. Keep S 'myelin' g girl!!
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I do not have MS but my mom was diagnosed about 10 years ago. I can speak a little about how it has impacted her life. She is still somewhat functional but has definitely lost a lot of get up and go. Many days spent at home and even in bed. So, needless to say, her physical capacity has been significantly diminished. The MS and meds have not affected her weight loss directly. I think being bored, at home more, slightly depressed has caused her to eat more. I have also noticed her cognition slipping over the years. I am not sure if that is the MS or because of the plethora of meds she is on. Hope this is not too bleak, but it is what I have seen thus far. I do also know there are many ways MS progresses. For some people, they still live life as before. For others, it is more debilitating. Meds and treatments are advancing.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with MS 16 years ago. I started taking Copaxone injections every day about five years ago. I do have numbness in my legs at times. Mostly in the left leg. I do not think that MS has caused me to be inactive or overweight. I have done that to myself by having poor eating habits and being a cough potato. I am fortunate that my MS is not very aggressive. Many people who have had MS this long are wheelchair or bed bound. If you have MS, know that it does not necessarily mean that your life is going to suddenly change drastically. I wish you the best. :flowerforyou:
  • slkolbe08
    Options
    I was diagnosed with MS twelve years ago at age 20. I have been on Avonex weekly injections during the past 12 years with the exception of when I was pregnant and nursing. I felt amazing while I was pregnant, had lots of energy, which I know can be the case.
    Most of my symptoms are cognitive and fatigue. I worked really hard last winter and spring and lost quite a bit of baby weight. With travel over the summer and life since, I haven't taken the time I should be to exercise. I've regained some of the weight and I am frustrated. I have aspirations to start again and even to start running, but I haven't started yet. The fatigue isn't debilitating, but it is definitely affecting my energy level. I'm sure if I got started again, I would feel better.
  • Malimaz
    Malimaz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello all, my name is Malika and I am living with MS and hashimotos. My struggles with weightloss can be frustrating as many with MS would understand that with many efforts come many pains. I am finding that I need to push through much of it and have begun a lifestyle change beginning with food consumption to slowly increasing my activity level with fitness and swimming.

I have started a group here in MFP called weightloss with diffabilities and welcome anyone to join for joint support. I consider living with diseases a diffability rather than disability, each of us have different abilities and I myself choose to not be held back from mine.

Anyone also that would like to add me as a buddy feel free.
  • lhbowen
    lhbowen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was diaged with the stupid disease about 11 years ago. I retired from the Army about 4 years later. I've been on Rebif for the last 10 years. After my diag I went though a pity party and was scared to do anything (or was it just an excuse) so I gained a great deal of weight. After I got out of the military I came to my senses but the weight I gained doesn't go away. I have at least 20 more pounds to lose but would be healthier if I could lose 50.
    Unfortunately, I don't have much support. My skinny sister only texts me to be condescending and my hubby is adamantly against diet or (especially) exercise of ANY kind. I live out in the country; not any good friends among my neighbors.
    I'm trying to hit 24K steps on Striiv (Tues-Sat), I'm also trying to learn how to run again using Run Zombies 5 K training plan/app. I have lost 10 pounds so far (this time) and I have high hopes of getting rid of at least 20 more.
  • One2Run
    One2Run Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 12 yrs ago yesterday. Time has flown by. 9 yrs of torment with injections 3x a week. Now on Gilenya and haven't looked back. I don't feel that MS led to weight gain, that had everything to do with intake.

I've lost 20-ish lbs and am at my lowest since university. I exercise 5-6 days a week, and am in the best shape of my life. I just finished T25 yesterday, and am running my third half marathon in two weeks. I'm running while I still can. I must say that I have much more energy now than before I started my commitment to regular exercise.

You can do it, just listen to your body. I find that on days where I work really hard, I need to get more rest after, or I get a migraine. My biggest issues are fatigue so it is so important to get adequate rest.

Please make sure your neuro is aware of your diet and fitness plans to ensure there are no issues.
  • Kareemajr
    Kareemajr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Me...dx in 2012. Had so bad relapse.on steroids . Up 70
  • IvanWine
    IvanWine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed Dec 2011. Unfortunately, it DID contribute to my weight gain due to a number of factors. Three very large prednisone tapers within months of each other, sudden change to a VERY sedentary lifestyle (I had been cycling between 8 and 12 miles a day, previously) suddenly having to spend several weeks learning to walk again, and dealing with exhaustion and heat fatigue. As well, depression due to all of this certainly didn't help. I've easily gained 40 pounds since then.

However, I am tired of it, and I've decided to do as much as I can to try and reverse the weight, at any rate.