The Dr's scale scared me!

Options
So, I went to the doctor last week because of a sinus infection. I normally don't dread going to the doctor, however this time I knew I was not looking forward to getting on that darn scale. I stopped working out about 6 months ago after being on an almost year long exercise routine. I knew I gained weight back that I had lost, but my denial of how much was quickly thrown out the window. So, as soon as I left the doctors, I decided it was once again time to get back on track. I somehow came across My Fitness Pal and decided that it couldn't hurt. So, here I am, 6 days later. I'm doing better with my eating, but I really have a hard time with tracking what I eat. My schedule is hectic, and I don't always get to sit down to a meal. I often graze through the day, which I've always justified thinking I'm keeping my metabolism running. For the last six days, instead of 'grazing" on my typical m&m, chips, and whatever my kids might not eat off of their plates, I'm grazing on more healthy foods. That's a big "yay" for me, I love my chocolate. Also, I've been on vacation from work, which makes eating healthier a bit easier, because I don't have stress of work on top of trying to manage a household. I will be going back to work on Tuesday :-(. So I guess my biggest problems I anticipate running into with trying to lose weight again is getting control over my emotional eating, and to get over my laziness when it comes to counting calories. I'm open to any suggestions and looking for any support anyone is willing to give. Thanks.

Replies

• Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    :) Motivation is key, and if the Doctor's scale did it, we're glad to have you here!

Look forward to seeing your journey
  • BernieMBurke
    BernieMBurke Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    One thing I do at work during the day is to climb stairs periodically. I climb 60 flights a day during the work week. I do this over four sets. It takes me about 7:30 to do one set. I did have to build up to this, but it keeps me moving every day. I use "Stair-treadmill ergometer, general" to track it in the exercise area.
  • shonbon
    Options
    don't know what kind of phone u have, but if its Android type, theres a great app for that!!!! makes it quick and easy to put in your food and track it!
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Meal planning might be your answer. You can do it!
  • sakitchens
    sakitchens Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The Doctor is what started my journey. It just takes lots of support and MPF has that. Welcome. I am glad you decided to join. I really do not have much advice. I do not deny myself the foods I want I just eat them in moderation and make sure I excersie. It has helped me stay on track and even loose weight during the holidays. Good Luck! If I can do this anyone can!
  • justahorsen
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP....
    the one thing that I would say is STOP "grazing"....I used do it too but found out by logging everything that went into my mouth that it is not good to "eat on the fly"....you would be amazed at the amount of calories you are eating, by not just sitting down and eating a meal.....I had to make myself start sitting down at the kitchen table everytime I had something to eat....no eating in front of the tv... and another thing to try is to drink water....I now "graze" on ice water....
    good luck and I have never found anything that has helped me more than the support I get right here on MFP....
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    Planning your food ahead of time and making preportioned snacks might help. Like putting pretzels in a bag or plastic contained and that way you know how much you are eating. As far as logging your food you could do at the end of the day or try to do it through out the day.
  • ctraill
    ctraill Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    I use MFP on my phone so I just record food as soon as I eat it and I have found that it helps a lot. If I don't do it right away, I either forget how much I've actually had to eat, under-estimate or quite simply "pretend" I haven't eaten as much as I have so that I can justify eating more of whatever it is that I'm craving.
    That's been the big thing for me, I used to do it every night before bed and I know I wasn't being honest with myself.

I've also found that I don't count calories as religiously as I watch other aspects of my nutrition like sodium & sugar counts. And generally, the good thing with that is that I tend to eat less since I can't eat 15 chocolate bars without having those counts go through the roof. Severe arthritis runs like crazy in my family and I've heard minimizing sugar intake can help because sugar products produce inflammatory issues in your body. It helps take the focus off "how many calories does x food have" (which makes me obsessive) and helps me look at the bigger picture, like, "Sure, I have enough calories left to eat that chocolate bar but it's not good for me, it won't help me in any way, etc.," so that I eat it less often/smaller portion.

Emotional eating is something I will never conquer and I think I am one of those people who will always go crazy every now and then. I'm just trying to take battle on this slowly, make better decisions, and trying really hard to break the cycle of "I overate by 2000 calories today so I give up on my diet permanently and I'll overeat this much every day from now on" into "I had a bad day, but I'm moving on from it".

I'm sure you will do well if you hold yourself accountable, which is the hardest thing about losing weight, in my opinion. This place has so many supportive people who are willing to help you hold yourself accountable, cheer you on & just generally be a support system for you. Honestly, I can not say enough positive things about this community.

Best of luck! You CAN do this & you WILL do this!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time logging because of my crazy schedule, so I love the Droid app for making sure I have no excuse to not log my food. If you have a Droid or an Iphone, they have apps that might help you. Just go to the marketplace and search My Fitness Pal. Best of all, the app is free! ;)
  • kimmiebear70
    kimmiebear70 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Meal planning might be your answer. You can do it!

I actually sat down last night and planned what I was going to be eating this evening. Before I finished cooking supper tonight I logged it in so I knew exactly how much of what I could have.

You might also think about keeping some pre-portioned snacks with you so you know how many calories your eating. I sometimes will save the wrappers from pre-packaged crackers or granola bars in my purse and log them in later.

You can do it!
  • sasimon1
    Options
    Very Good idea...keeping the wrappers in your purse. I'll try to remember that. I definitely have alot of lifestyle changes to make, I'm reading alot of good ideas from people here, this is awesome. Now I just have to figure out how to most effectively use this website :-) Thanks for your help...Shari
  • sasimon1
    Options
    Absolutely, I need to stop grazing. I'm sensing alot of lifestyle changes having to come my way. I guess that's a good think, just a little scary at first. Thanks for your help. ---Shari
  • sasimon1
    Options
    I keep telling myself I'm gonna get out and walk on my break, however I find that alot of times, I'd rather sit in my office then go out in the cold. But, I have to make it a priority. I'm just being lazy, will be working on that as well as the calorie counting and eating healthier foods. Thanks for your help. Keep up the work with your stairs. Good Job.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    don't know what kind of phone u have, but if its Android type, theres a great app for that!!!! makes it quick and easy to put in your food and track it!

Welcome!! I love the Android app! It has helped me many times, keeping me honest through busy days.
  • fcerezo10
    Options
    It did it to me too! That doctor's scale scared me too. The scale scared me as well, many times for the last 5 years! But in a second thought (denial?) that scale is not worth trusting right? I mean, what I need to trust is my drive to do better, to take care of myself. I am NOT attacking anyone. If anyone myself!
    I know, I know what the answer is; I just don't have (:huh: ) the moral drive to do it. As my good friend G. told me on Thursday -is known to all of us; nothing new here- all resolves to using the math. This activity, these many calories, that other activity those many calories, that food, with that serving, that many calories, that many grams of fat, that much protein and so on. It really is not that difficult to figure out! And with programs like this "myfitnesspal" it is even easier. All it matters, all we can do is within my reach, I am the captain of this vessel. Where ever it goes and how it arrives there is within my power: I, myself, and my convictions, behaviors and endurance are all I need. If I can control it -and thank God, I can as in my case it is just realizing the need to do it and DO IT! I should be able to get me in to the habit of keep doing it.
    Would I keep my diary everyday? would I be an obsessive watcher and critic of my imperfections? Would I lost all those Lbs my goal seeker asks me to in the days I want to do and if not would think of me as a failure?
    Not clear answers, the real mindset is that, yeah! I am having a problem but I do know how to solve it. I am a solution driven person and so, I might not get the solution when my planner expects it but if nothing else in life, in this case I am the problem the solution and the goal setter all at the same time! I do not have to respond to anyone else than myself and so, whatever it takes, never late, always on track, would strive to get there; the alternative; to do NOTHING is not in my book; I believe in me and that believe is what helps me to get going, whatever motivates you, do not let the flame die, keep it going! Best wishes - a fellow person looking forward to a better shape of things, starting with myself.
    :drinker: to Life!