I don't understand why I'm not losing...

Options
Hey everyone,

I started using myfitnesspal about a week ago, but I was on this workout routine for two weeks before then, using the exact same diet.

However, in three weeks I haven't lose a single pound, and I haven't lost a single inch off my naval, neck, or waist measurements...

When I started working out about two months ago I was 399 lbs, something had to change, and I really committed to my lifting routine and a healthy diet.

Fitnesspal recommended I eat around 2500 calories a day, and I was eating on average about 300 calories less than that a day if not right at that. I went from 399 to 390 in about a month, and since then I have held steady...

I'm lifting weights for an hour, 6 days a week, and I'm experiencing noticeable muscle gain. I'm consuming 220~ grams of protein a day to satisfy my lean body mass, and I'm not going over the 2500 calorie suggestion...

What am I doing so wrong?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure everything you eat with scales?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    not being patient enough....

9lbs in one month is a good rate of loss...almost 2lbs a week.

And if the exercise is new some of your weight loss could be masked by water/glycogen stores in your muscles...

Now to the "noticeable" muscle gain..you may be gaining a bit due to the fact you have a lot to lose but it wont be like a pound a week or anything...

What you are seeing is as noticeable is either the "pump" from the aformentioned retention or the loss of fat over the muscle...but regardless keep at it and be patient.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can give you more accurate advise
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Cardio is better to lose a bunch of weight first, then lifting to sculpt and tone...
  • HaraldurB
    HaraldurB Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements regularly. The scale might not show a change but the measurements will.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Cardio is better to lose a bunch of weight first, then lifting to sculpt and tone...

what??????:noway:

I haven't done any cardio and only lifted...I have lost lots of weight....

ETA: you don't need exercise to lose weight just a calorie deficet anyway...exercise is for health and fitness.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you're defining as lifting with weights, but most of us that lift heavy (a barbell workout like 3x5 Starting Strength, Strong Lifts 5x5, etc.) tend to take a rest day between workouts to give our bodies time to recovery. Hitting your nutrition (which is sounds like you're doing -- though if you're not weighing everything with a food scale, you should do that to be sure of your calorie consumption), getting enough recovery time and adequate sleep are HUGE.

You have a lot of weight to lose, so you should be able to handle a serious deficit. But, it's still possible to overtrain or have too big of a deficit which can impeded weight loss. Here's a good article by Lyle that discusses that phenomenon. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

As SexyStef pointed out, it's totally possible that you are actually losing but water retention is wreaking havoc on your system and it's masking the fat loss in the past three weeks. Here are two good articles about water retention, the "whoosh" and how to induce the drop in water (anecdotal -- but I use the refeed day myself).

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part_28.html
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options

ETA: you don't need exercise to lose weight just a calorie deficet anyway...exercise is for health and fitness.

Deep breath :-)
  • Tanpaku
    Tanpaku Posts: 4
    Options
    You're noticing muscle gain? That's great! Muscle is very dense and weighs more than fat. If you are feeling better and feeling stronger, then maybe don't put so much focus on what the scale says. If you can test your body fat, I would do that, too.

I'm not saying ignore the scale. Just don't obsess on it. Keep up the good work!
  • angiedew
    angiedew Posts: 5
    Options
    Weigh every serving of food with a digital scale. Log every bite. You have enough to lose that it is simple math: calories in/calories out. The easiest explanation is that you are still eating more calories than you think you are.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Deep breath :-)

hehe I know right...*takes a deep breath and blows it out*
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

No, not really.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I started using myfitnesspal about a week ago, but I was on this workout routine for two weeks before then, using the exact same diet.

However, in three weeks I haven't lose a single pound, and I haven't lost a single inch off my naval, neck, or waist measurements...

When I started working out about two months ago I was 399 lbs, something had to change, and I really committed to my lifting routine and a healthy diet.

Fitnesspal recommended I eat around 2500 calories a day, and I was eating on average about 300 calories less than that a day if not right at that. I went from 399 to 390 in about a month, and since then I have held steady...

I'm lifting weights for an hour, 6 days a week, and I'm experiencing noticeable muscle gain. I'm consuming 220~ grams of protein a day to satisfy my lean body mass, and I'm not going over the 2500 calorie suggestion...

What am I doing so wrong?

Have you calculated your TDEE? If so, then take 20% (aggressive) or 15% (moderate) off that value for your daily calorie goal. Lifting is good for preventing muscle loss when eating at a calorie deficit but is not really high in calories. If you want to boost your weight loss, add in some cardio and increase your basic daily activity. Walking is another great activity to add that gives good results. Other than that, be sure you are at your desired calorie deficit by not underestimating the calories you are eating (be as precise as possible) and not overestimating the calories you are burning. Be warned that the calorie burn some exercises in the MFP database are quite inflated. Oh and as you lose weight you burn fewer calories for an activity so either increase the time or intensity if you want the same burn.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

Negative.
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Add more cardio...dont eat the same meal everyday the body likes variety...watch out for empty calories.(aka soft drinks)
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Are you letting yourself go really hungry and then overeating in response? A cycle of doing that can really sabotage weight loss efforts. I also agree with the others, weigh and measure everything. If that fails, see a doctor. Weight should be flying off you at your size. I also recommend Weight Watchers. It works better for me than MFP, I think because of the weekly weigh ins. They help keep me on track and accountable, especially because I was committed to going every single week, even when I knew I didn't lose or even gained. I used the embarrassment as fuel to do better the next week.

Am on MFP now because I am pregnant and you aren't allowed at WW meetings when pregnant. Note, I am not dieting, just tracking so I don't gain more than I need to. I will be going back to WW as soon as the baby is born though.
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Negative.

I believe so for a person at that high in weight...need to get the heart at healthy levels.cardio is a great start.They both have benefits but I believe more cardio will help you