How to start, really start?

Options

Replies

• bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Shannon's advice is spot on. In a year you'll be a year older. You can be a year older and still where you are, or you can be a year older and have accomplished something. Either way, you'll be a year older.
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I wish I had good advise....but all I've got is...Just DO It!

I was in your shoes until just over a month ago. I wanted to change but I felt I was to far gone to do it, and I was down right lazy!!
    And then one day something in me snapped, and a flame was lit. I'm not going to say that I haven't fallen down, because I have.
    And each time I fall, that flame is still there waiting for me encouraging me on. I started with just altering my diet, gave my body a chance to grow accustomed to that, and then I added some cardio. Yesterday I added weight machines, and today I am taking my first steps under couch 2 k5 running program. I used to think that I wanted to lose weight for my family - ie: to make my husband proud to be married to me, to make my kids giggle w/ glee when I chase them, etc) But this time I'm being selfish - I am thinking about ME and me alone....so I can be PROUD of myself and my body, so I can GIGGLE w/ glee while playing, so I can be more
    present! When you are reasy, seriously ready to make the change..you will just do it, and nothing will stop you!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time. Don't think about your long time goal, just try to focus on 1 thing this month. Something like taking a walk, or improving your breakfast. After that month, add something else.

This ^^

Seriously, you don't have to let weight loss take over your life. Just move more and eat responsibly. You don't have to starve or eat "diet food" or be miserable, you just have eat less. You don't have to do DVDs or go to the gym, unless you want to. Just move more. You don't have to do it every day. It's almost a guarantee that there will be high calorie days. There will be days you don't exercise. Don't see that as failure. It's life.

Just get up and move and eat sensibly. Live your life without overeating. Be patient and be happy.
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    You might want to break down your big goal into a bunch of smaller, more manageable goals.

Instead of focusing on losing 45 pounds, try to lose the first few pounds first. Then go after a few more.

Instead of running a sub 2 hour half marathon, try walking an extra 10 minutes a day.

You may find that after a while, the cumulative benefits of your actions will add up to success.

Friend request sent.

Frank
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    The first thing you need to do is understand what you need to change. To that, log your food daily, even it's a horrible million calorie day!

Get into the habit of logging everyday, every meal, every bite.

In a month, go back and look at that log, it'll tell you what you are eating and you will be able to look at those foods and pick what you can keep and what needs to be changed. Then make small, slow changes. It's a life long goal so don't rush to results.
  • Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    We're in the same place. I lost 20 pounds on MFP before, went back to day classes while working full time and volunteering. With the busy schedule stopped working out and ate horribly. I gained back the weight plus 20 pounds. I decided I had to stop thinking about doing it and just do it. The semester is over so it's the perfect time for me to stop making excuses, get off my butt and come up with a plan that works for me now and when I go back to school.

When I lost the weight before it helped to take it one pound at a time. When I stepped on the scale and saw the number go down, instead of thinking "___lbs to go," I would think "___less pounds to lose." I found that mentality was everything for me. If I started making excuses as to why I didn't want to work out that day, I thought "i'll do a 20 minute workout, it's only 20 minutes" and that always turned into a longer workout for me and I was always happy at the end of the day.

Feel free to add me as a friend because i'm sticking around this time and would love to have more friends who are just starting out! :)

Good luck!
  • Rossergirl
    Rossergirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You have to crawl before you walk and walk before you run. Do not think about how do I get to the end, because let's face it, it will never end if it is done the healthy way. Knowing you need to do something is a big first "crawl" so now go to a bigger "crawl" and figure out what you are going to do this week to help you help yourself.

Set mini goals as they are more attainable and come way faster than the long term. Also, set a reward for yourself for when you reach each mini goal. Reward yourself with a mani/pedi, a new outfit, a day at the spa. Something fun and something just for you!

Commit yourself to journaling your food and your exercises. Be accountable for what you do. I have found since I log my food and I am way more cognizant of what I put into my mouth. Doing little things makes you want to see progress & to see progress (mini goals) you must do something.

I am still struggling with all of this myself. I just re-re-re-restarted recently. I have had great results since January. Add me as a friend & maybe we can encourage each other.

GOOD LUCK!
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Don't think so much. Just make one goal at a time. And don't "think" about it, just do it. I personally, hate exercise. I am not good at it, don't like the time spent for it, and just plain, don't want to do it. If I "think" about going, I will talk myself out of going, because of some lame excuse. So, I don't "think" about it. I just have to go. That is the way it is. No excuses.

I fail, when I do "extreme" dieting, meaning, I deny myself all kinds of food, and set up for fail. So, instead of a "diet", I am eating healthier. That is the goal. I have to eat the fruit and veggies first, then, for carbs, other "bad" foods, I have to do portion control.

Right now, I think about October, I keep that in mind. When I want to eat, I think, "October", that is my birthday, and this year, I want to be under 200 for my birthday. That is a fairly realistic goal for me. 25 pounds. I am not setting myself up for fail, by expecting to lose 50 pounds, just 5 pounds a month.
  • jaecobb86
    jaecobb86 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Whoa, whoa, whoa... just take it slow. This is a life change, not a diet. This website is geared to help you keep track of what you are eating and for me, it helps me stay accountable for my decisions. Just try logging in everything you eat, good or bad, first. This will give you some idea of where you need to make some changes. I wouldn't jump right in and change everything all at once. Try keeping your calories in check first. Then, focus on fat or carbs. Once you think you have this logging in daily thing down... start walking.

Try to remember, you did not gain all this weight over night so you can't expect to lose it over night either. It's a process... but it WORKS!

Good luck to you!

I totally agree with this quoted statement! Take it one day at a time and remember that nothing happens over night. Set mini goals for yourself so that youa re able to work towards a larger goal. I know I started with just logging my food intake and then started working out slowly. Its been a process and i have had to pretty much teach myself how to eat again and how to do what works for me. Good luck!!! You can do it!
  • carriecav
    carriecav Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here are some things I started telling/asking myself when my journey first began....

"My body is under construction" - to keep me from getting frustrated at the mirror or scale....

"Trust the process" - I knew my program would work..it just seemed so slow. It seemed like my hardwork wasn't paying off. The truth is IT WILL WORK..but you have to give it time.

"Will that get me closer to where I want to be or further away?" - eating...skipping workouts

And then I found this quote from The Compound Effect:

Small, smart choices = Consistency + Time = Radical Results

That did it for me right there...that one statement changed my world!

Also...I never told my hubs about what plan or what dvd I was doing. I just DID it. I never told anyone in fact, until I reached my goal. And now I help everyone I can because I remember those days.

You can do this. I did it. You can too. You are stronger than you know my friend!!!!
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    Baby steps, read what was suggested (it's all very informative). Focus on the small goals, and you'll find the larger ones attained.

As everyone has said, one day at a time and the realization that this is a lifetime journey. You'll have the journey change as you progress but it's never over. It's going to have it's ups and downs (and not only on the scale). But you're searched and asked for help so you're trying to build a support group to encourage you during the "downs" of the journey and cheer you when you're on the "ups" of the journey.

You can do this! It all starts with that first step.
  • rosy_08
    rosy_08 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who says take it one day at a time and set small goals. Seriously, set the tiniest of goals that you know you can do and once you start achieving that you can step it up more. It's going to take a lot of patience with yourself. You will have "bad" days but once it's done, it's done. You learn from it and move on.

I started working on a healthier me (again...) this month. I started off with a goal I knew I could do. Go to the gym at least 3 times that first week. While there I did a simple 20-30 minute workout and as sore as I was, I felt great! It made me think about the future - about the day that I'd be able to do that workout without feeling like I was about to die. It was definitely motivating. Then I worked on eating less fast food and making healthier meals at home. The pounds have slowly started coming off and I have broken down and eaten unhealthily a few times, but I keep working at it. It's a process.

Just get started. Do one thing that puts you on a healthier path right now (or at least sometime TODAY!) :happy:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I set smaller goals. For instance when I first started I just wanted to lose 5 pounds so my jeans didn't fit so tightly. When I reached that goal I decided I could afford to lose another 5 pounds. When I reached that I decided I could do 10 pounds and so on. It worked well for me to look at it in small increments.

I didn't make all the changes at once. At first I concentrated on eating smaller portions and learning to log my calories. Then I started making better food choices--that change just evolved on its own. After I lost almost all of my weight I decided it was time to exercise. If you do a little at a time it won't seem so overwhelming.

Read the guide to sexy pants that someone else posted.

And this blog post is really inspirational. Basically it tells you not to give up if you have one bad day. As long as the good days outweigh the bad days you are good. http://jamesclear.com/plan-failure

Also, remember this is about you, not your husband or anyone else. If he can't work out on a certain day that's his problem, not yours. You keep going because this is a journey you have to take on your own. I work out 4x/week. My husband maybe works out one day a week. He complains about not being able to make it to the gym. I make it a priority to make it to the gym and don't let myself get side tracked.
  • AnitaCRice
    AnitaCRice Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said, except that it's the government's and society's fault that you're overweight. I'm pretty sure I'm overweight because I like to eat!

It took trying something new to get me motivated to stick to a plan. I bought a Fitbit annd joied MFP. I had success with Weight Watchers in the past, which absolutely works, but I needed something new. Good luck!
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate the support. Time to get started. Not tomorrow, now. Too bad the weather stinks! Maybe I'll try one of those DVDs!
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Yes, just want it bad enough, that is what worked for me. Break it down in 5 lb goals if 45 sounds overwhelming. I had twice as much to lose, and I would always shoot for ten lb increments. Just don't give up, trust me if you keep with it, you will be so glad you stuck with it as those lbs start coming off. Don't let excuses derail you. You can do this, tell yourself that every day! Best wishes!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    it sounds to me like you might just be ready to start. breath and commit to one day just one. stop looking at the BIG PICTURE and just look at one day. what can you do today that will aide in your desire to become healthy. going to the grocery store today - park in the very last spot and walk to the doors. swap out one unhealthy food item for something that's a bit healthier. if you normally take 2 big scoops of pasta have 1 and make a small salad to go along with it. no one's home - do a few jumping jacks. you mentioned dvds - try one even if you just do it for 15 minutes. you don't have to do the whole thing if you can't.

you know it's time. you're on here right.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Time to get started. Not tomorrow, now.

LOVE this. It's key! "I'll start Monday" never works. I started mid-day actually :)
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Well the first thing you should remember is it doesnt matter how long it will take you. If your changing your life style this will be a life long thing. There is no finish line bc you will continue to live this way for life.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts on how to start? How to not get so distracted by how long it's going to take to lose 45 lbs, and how last year it was only 35 lbs? How do I move forward and decide I'm sick of my fat pants being tight and my size 40 bra being too tight? How do I get past being the fat girl in the family and become the girl who dies something about it? How do I get past a hubby who's responses to my exercise plan are "well, you won't be able to that on these days?" When do I crash into the bottom, stand up and say I'm so sick of it and decide to make changes that last longer than a month? How do I decide to just get going, how do I decide which plan is "right". How do I give up putting faith and money into gadgets and DVDs that don't work if you don't do them. How do I get the girl in the mirror and those ugly family photos to match the image I have of myself in my head ? I'm just so overwhelmed, but doing nothing is getting more overwhelming by the minute!
    Keep it simple. If you look at the whole journey then it may overwhelm you.
    Take it meal by meal. Day by Day.
    . You dont need gadgets, you dont need special pills. YOu dont need alot of money (matter of fact a weight loss journey will fatten your wallet). You dont need videos. YOu dont need a gym.

ALl you need is a belief in yourself that you are worth it.

When you think of it, weight loss is a simple mathematics formula that you learned in grade school. Calories out need to be more than calories in.

Simple.

Use Mother Nature's vast playground to walk, run, lunges, etc.

You can do it if you truly want to.