What's better, increased intensity or length?

When doing cardio is it better to have a longer work out or a more intense one?

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member

Better for what?

''better'' is relative.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member

Better for what?

''better'' is relative.

this in general, but for me more intense because I only have so much time in my week for cardio.
  • Apple31415
    Apple31415 Posts: 98 Member
    personally, i try to increase the length first and then work on steadily increasing intensity at that length. I've gone from 30 minute so-so elliptical sessions to pretty intense 60 minute sessions that way. Because of bad knees, i only road run once a week and i've seen great progress in my road running because of the elliptical work. I don't see me spending more than an hour on cardio going forward, so it is a focus on intensity now.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    longer is better if you are training for endurance
    shorter is better if you are training for intensity and speed

there is no "better" only goals- and what tool will you use to help you meet your goals.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    i'd say length
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Are you training for endurance or speed/power?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Apple31415
    Apple31415 Posts: 98 Member
    True, your goal will dictate was is "better" For weightloss, shorter interval training seems best. High intensity followed by recovery followed by high intensity and repeat. Treadmill and elliptical is good for this too. For endurance, it is more a function of time spent at an elevated heartrate.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Intensity (and girth)

Oh wait...sorry...my bad ;-)
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Intensity (and girth)

my thoughts exactly. Came in expecting filth, left disappointed.
  • Naedantz
    Naedantz Posts: 5 Member
    When you don't have much time, do an interval training. Interval training help you to burn calories long after you have completed your work out and you don't have to go as long when doing an interval training. I think it is always a good idea to change things up.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    lolwut
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Intensity (and girth)

Glad I'm not the only one with a dirty mind...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

Depends on your objectives, but in general probably a combination.

Long duration medium intensity improves endurance, shorter duration higher intensities improves your ability to convert fuel, essentially improves your exercise efficiency and repeated short duration highest intensities improve your ability to process oxygen, increasing your VO2Max, which raises your basic metabolism.

Of course what you mean by long is probably very different to what I'd mean, and similarly medium, higher and highest intensities are probably very different for each of us. The three are very complementary, the longer sessions give you far more capacity to push your intensities higher in the shorter sessions, so I personally wouldn't advocate only doing one of those unless you have very specific goals in mind.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    I can't remember where I read it, but the advice for fat-burning is to do it longer rather than more intensely. If you're training for performance, intensity might have more benefits than duration but if fat loss is your primary goal, go for length when/if you have to choose between the two in terms of your internal resources.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I can't remember where I read it, but the advice for fat-burning is to do it longer rather than more intensely.

Not quite so simple, and the whole idea of fat burning zone is quite outdated. By operating at a moderate intensity one can keep going for longer, therefore burning significantly more calories than in a shorter session. It's already upthread but I'm sure there will be a few more unthinkingly advocating HIIT as the ONE TRUE WAY(tm)

Different intensities have slightly different effects on the system, as far as where they draw their energy from, but for the average exerciser the differences are negligible.

It does really boil down to what one is trying to achieve. I'd go out on a 2-3 hour run because I'm training for endurance, the fact that I'll burn in the order of 2000 calories on one of those sessions isn't really the point. If I was focusing on burning calories I'd probably suggest a 30 minute higher intensity session as the most time efficient compromise. Highest intensity intervals burn most, but aren't sustainable for as long.
    If you're training for performance, intensity might have more benefits than duration but if fat loss is your primary goal, go for length when/if you have to choose between the two in terms of your internal resources.

And again, the three modes are complementary. By including threshold and interval sessions one improves the intensity that one can sustain for longer. If one only increases time, with no effort to increase speed, then there is little progression. IF one works on both then there is greater effect.